The fastest Safety in the draft...

cover-2

Reaction score
This is a great year for DB's. One late round hot prospect right now is Rutgers FS/SS Anthony Cioff. Cioff is 6-0 203 lbs and has speed for days. He may be a 4.3 40-yard guy, and his speed stands out in the highlights below. Cioff played CB as a freshman, then later in college played FS, and SS. For me he would be a back up to Earl Thomas at FS, or possibly get some reps at CB. He will be one to monitor during the draft process.

[youtube]r6DpB6nXwUo[/youtube]

[youtube]tqFQWqC2ZmQ[/youtube]

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Steven Terrell would be the fastest safety in the draft if he came out. He's faster than ET too.

I know folks like fast safeties, but that's really only a part of it and not even a huge part at that.

KillerB

Reaction score
Rutgers is a quality school, not many dummies there. And this guy appears to have the physical tools, including all that speed. Not bad.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
I read somewhere Jabril Peppers is a 4.3 guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
His speed really pops. His testing will be crucial. Particularly his weight.

He added 30 lbs between his junior/senior year (listed now at 203). Kind of a late bloomer. Will need to weigh in at 200+ at the combine.

I could see him being a strong UDFA candidate. Honestly, with this class of safeties, I don't think he's getting drafted. You are going to see 3rd round quality in R6/7 this year.

Seems like the kind of guy Seattle could covet. A guy that had to really work hard and circumvent adversity. But clearly has NFL speed and more.

chris98251

Reaction score
Not just about speed, he has to be able to hit pass defend and tackle. Being able to go from top to run support and lay a hit on guys is what were looking for, not Deion Sanders at Safety.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
chris98251":pg1wfu5k said:
Not just about speed, he has to be able to hit pass defend and tackle. Being able to go from top to run support and lay a hit on guys is what were looking for, not Deion Sanders at Safety.

Of course. But when you're talking about R7/R8 -- you need to look harder at tools. Can you develop other things?

Speed is a legitimate tool. Just as arm length and height. You aren't looking for polished prospects at the end of the draft. You're looking for guys that you can work with their natural talents and turn them into more polished players.

Seattle does love speed. And there is no shortage of it on Cioffi's tape. Whether they think he could develop as a tackler, or shows the spark of anticipation that allows him to diagnose plays as they unfold quickly -- we can't know.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2y3itfpo said:
chris98251":2y3itfpo said:

Of course. But when you're talking about R7/R8 -- you need to look harder at tools. Can you develop other things?

Speed is a legitimate tool. Just as arm length and height. You aren't looking for polished prospects at the end of the draft. You're looking for guys that you can work with their natural talents and turn them into more polished players.

Seattle does love speed. And there is no shortage of it on Cioffi's tape. Whether they think he could develop as a tackler, or shows the spark of anticipation that allows him to diagnose plays as they unfold quickly -- we can't know.

I agree Attyla. One thing that impressed me about Cioffi is his special teams play. He could be another Chris Maragos (at least early on). Since Lockette retired, they don't have a gunner. Lane and Lockette used to those things but because of injuries and retirement, they are not providing that anymore. Lane/Lockette used to the first guys to the returner. Based on the highlights, Cioffi seems to be one of the first guys and always around the ball (loose ball). So that would be a plus.

chris98251

Reaction score
You don't teach blocking to a guy that doesn't have the heart for it anymore then tackling, you have to love to knock guys heads off, if they have not shown a desire to lay wood by the time they are draft eligible then I wouldn't waste a pick on a guy like that.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I like Eddie Jackson out of Alabama. Has had great coaching, is smart, quick, can tackle and has good football instincts. Coming off an injury.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
RockinHawks":c7t9qd62 said:
I like Eddie Jackson out of Alabama. Has had great coaching, is smart, quick, can tackle and has good football instincts. Coming off an injury.

Jackson is gonna be a good one and could be had rather late compared to his counterparts. He's got future pro bowler written all over him, he's rock steady.

Hawks46

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2cwakkix said:
Steven Terrell would be the fastest safety in the draft if he came out. He's faster than ET too.

I know folks like fast safeties, but that's really only a part of it and not even a huge part at that.

Exactly. Speed makes up for mistakes. Or make up speed for mistakes. It's not a substitute for instincts, awareness and comprehension on the field.

ET is special because he's got speed, elite instincts, studies film (which translates to on the field comprehension) and has great football awareness. Thing about Thomas is that the plays he makes that are jaw dropping are the ones most folks don't notice....stuff like him starting out 20 yards off the LOS and tackling the ball carrier for a 3-4 yard gain.

I'd love to see us draft his backup this draft, especially if the guy can play Nickle CB so we get some reps out of him. I wasn't impressed with Terrell this year, even if it was his first real action on the field.

I like Cioffi's tape in that he plays ST, seems to be a ball hawk, blitzes pretty well, and has pride about making plays in the backfield. Too many FS think they belong deep going after INT's anymore.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3l0bjvgj said:
Since Lockette retired, they don't have a gunner. Lane and Lockette used to those things but because of injuries and retirement, they are not providing that anymore.

Honestly, I think out ST coverage right now is the best it's ever been. Elliott, McCray, Thorpe and Marsh are all exceptional.

It's easy to lose sight of the positives in a season that fell flat due to injuries. But those four guys are complete ST studs. We are in fabulous shape to retain that advantage (Thorpe and McCray are UFAs).

On a slightly off topic tangent from the OP -- since we're talking special teams. Am I alone in thinking that maybe Hester needs to be brought back on the cheap to save some wear and tear on Lockett? Tyler didn't fare particularly well with injuries last year and he suffered a pretty significant leg injury late. Maybe it's wise to keep a player who seems to still have the chops to contribute in that area. At least on the cheap and maybe if only for half a season or so?

poplarbluffman

Reaction score
never thought Peppers was fast..but that kid sure is..but .so little production with that speed...

someone will sign him as an udfa or as a later rd pick 6'0 208 nothing else a fast gunner on st's while he learns a few sub packages

RockinHawks

Reaction score
FS prospects that project rounds 2-4, and have good football instincts (the best trait to play single high), Marcus Maye Florida, and Josh Jones NC State. Love their instincts, and solid football players. Maye could play both FS and SS, but with his quickness and high IQ, he could backup Earl with much less drop-off than Terrell....and I'd put Jones in that category too...and possibly with more athleticism than Maye.