Texas A&M pissing off the ladies

CPHawk

Reaction score
It's funny how Sumlin always blames someone else.

kearly

Reaction score
As a former offensive lineman I can attest that we and our coaches tend to be a colorful group. It wouldn't surprise me if such terms were the actual metaphors offensive line coaches use for their players at TAMU to help them remember the concepts and to culturally reinforce them. Obviously I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.

And even if that were the case, it seems pretty obvious that this type of jargon should have been cleaned up for a public audience, particularly a female audience. Were they trying to prank women? Or are they just colossal idiots? Maybe a disgruntled employee wanted to go out with a bang?

I'm laughing at TAMU, not laughing with them, but all the same this debacle doesn't fail to be amusing.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":3dxrhxo9 said:
As a former offensive lineman I can attest that we and our coaches tend to be a colorful group. It wouldn't surprise me if such terms were the actual metaphors offensive line coaches use for their players at TAMU to help them remember the concepts and to culturally reinforce them. Obviously I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.

And even if that were the case, it seems pretty obvious that this type of jargon should have been cleaned up for a public audience, particularly a female audience. Were they trying to prank women? Or are they just colossal idiots? Maybe a disgruntled employee wanted to go out with a bang?

I'm laughing at TAMU, not laughing with them, but all the same this debacle doesn't fail to be amusing.

Agree'd. Doesnt surprise me they'd use those things to teach their players. But you gotta know your audience and the social climate of our era.

CPHawk

Reaction score
It's the same OL coach from the Dolphins a few years back, with the Incognito crap. Any HC who would let that guy be in charge of a presentation is a jack ass.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I probably would have enjoyed this presentation. But, I have a sense of humor, and don't go around looking for reasons for me or anyone else to be offended.

mrt144

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3j9sz7ks said:
I probably would have enjoyed this presentation. But, I have a sense of humor, and don't go around looking for reasons for me or anyone else to be offended.

Looking for reasons like 'every slide contained innuendo to a mostly female audience'? It's easy to find reasons when you're hit in the eyeballs repeatedly with them.

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
mrt144":1268iar8 said:
fenderbender123":1268iar8 said:

Looking for reasons like 'every slide contained innuendo to a mostly female audience'? It's easy to find reasons when you're hit in the eyeballs repeatedly with them.

**Edit**

Wrong thread.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
mrt144":2g9ef6k3 said:
fenderbender123":2g9ef6k3 said:

I think Kearly really touched on something that I would like to elaborate on. He mentioned he was "laughing at them" and not "with them". That's how I see it, as well. However, as an amateur comedian, I understand that a lot of people intentionally write/perform stuff with the intention of being laughed at. Most people assume writers/performers would never intentionally try to be laughed at, but that's simply not true.

Daniel Tosh does a lot of this. He says ridiculously offensive, over-the-top things (like rape jokes, making fun of poor people, etc.) because he wants people to laugh at him...which means the people are laughing at the thought as well. Maybe some people don't get that he actually wants people to laugh him, and think that anyone laughing must be laughing with him, thus they find him offensive, but Tosh gets the last laugh on those people because it's all by design.

People laugh at stuff like this not because they are thinking "yeah, women suck! Whooo, hahaha!"...if they did think that, they wouldn't really be laughing...they'd be just sitting there with a serious face going "Right? This is totally accurate!" So in other words, if this skit was designed to be funny, it's because they wanted people to laugh at how ridiculous the ideas are.

I make jokes like this all the time at my serving job. We hired this girl to do dishes for us, and on her first day I said to her "Doing dishes here is a great way to prepare for being a wife someday." And that's funny, not because women belong in the kitchen doing dishes, but because it's a dated idea that doesn't fit with society these days. Ever notice how if you watch a movie or TV show from like the 1940s, nobody makes jokes about women doing dishes? Because then, it was actually expected. But as time has passed, and women have assumed more roles in society, people joke about it because it's such a ridiculous, dated notion. It's basically saying "can you believe we used to think that?".

So basically, their only crime is trying to get people to laugh. Laughing is a good thing, IMO...so they didn't do anything wrong in my eyes.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Trying to connect football in context of women in the kitchen is where they failed.

Their poor attempt at humor shows that they have no idea how to identify with their audience. In your example if a woman said in an interview that she was looking for a job washing dishes because it would help her for her future husband she would be laughed out of an interview.

Context means so much and as a comedian I'm sure you work to paint your joke in context otherwise it falls flat. "Thanks Obama" means so much more in context when it follows something like "____ doesn't work anymore." "Thank Obama."

SeatownJay

Reaction score
sammyc521":308hpwvt said:
Trying to connect football in context of women in the kitchen is where they failed.

Their poor attempt at humor shows that they have no idea how to identify with their audience. In your example if a woman said in an interview that she was looking for a job washing dishes because it would help her for her future husband she would be laughed out of an interview.

Context means so much and as a comedian I'm sure you work to paint your joke in context otherwise it falls flat. "Thanks Obama" means so much more in context when it follows something like "____ doesn't work anymore." "Thank Obama."
Sexist humor doesn't work anymore. Thanks Obama.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
sammyc521":1937bfei said:
Their poor attempt at humor shows that they have no idea how to identify with their audience.

I agree with this. They assumed their audience would "get it", and forgot that they were presenting something to college women, who are in "I'm offended at everything and everyone, and refuse to have a sense of humor about anything" mode.

sammyc521":1937bfei said:
In your example if a woman said in an interview that she was looking for a job washing dishes because it would help her for her future husband she would be laughed out of an interview.

I'm really not following where you're going with this. If a woman actually said that, then both the woman and the interviewer would probably have a nice laugh about it. Because it's funny. She doesn't actually mean it.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
You can assume that both would have a laugh but you can't be surprised if one takes offense for an improper joke.

Context is everything in how a joke is presented. A&M failed at presenting any appropriate context.

This will get swept under the rug once games start getting played. It also opens themselves to more scrutiny for future events should they show any lack of change towards this particular audience.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I actually agree. People will get offended, and they should have known that before giving the presentation. There's just a big part of me that wishes people would stop getting offended. And I think they would if they had a deeper understanding of how comedy works.

HawkGA

Reaction score
That's awesome. In my 20s I had a pretty crude sense of humor and and unwillingness to filter what I said. And even 20 year old me would have thought that was in bad taste.

sc85sis

Reaction score
As a woman who frequents football forums, I tolerate a fair amount of stuff guys post and brush it off as boys being boys.

This was over the line and not remotely funny. And my sense of humor is just fine.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk