Stephen Weatherly - OLB/DE

jammerhawk

Reaction score

McGruff

Reaction score
I want to like Weatherly, and as a developmental prospect he's got the right build and athletic qualities, and he's incredibly intelligent.

But on tape he seems really stiff and mechanical. I want more explosion from him.

He's got the body of a DE and the tape of a SAM.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I get what you're saying however he's really raw, and needs coaching, but the pure physical ability looks to be there yet the football skills seem underdeveloped. I see him as a SOLB with some developable pass rush skill. He does however fit the parameters as far as physicality, short area speed, explosiveness, and length. The numbers reflect he has the physicality to be way more explosive than he shows on tape.

I think he'd be a really nice 6th round pick another Obum Gwachum, but perhaps a keeper this time, because Bruce is gone as there is a lot of raw material to develop. My suspicion is he made a big mistake coming out early, he could have used more college ball. He's young and could fill the Irvin situational role and turn out not to be too bad as a SOLB.

two dog

Reaction score
I agree he made a mistake coming out early.
I agree he could could use plenty of additional coaching.
But that's what professional level coaches are for.

What you can't coach are thirty four and a half inch arms,
or ten and a half inch hands.
You don't have to coach that 1.59 sec. 10 yard split or the
4.61 forty at 6 ft. 4 in. and 267 pounds.

There's a lot to work with here.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Exactly.

I suspect like Obum Gwachum, last year's late pick, this player may be a player thought worthy of development because of his superior physicality. He does have some basic skills that could be improved and he is apparently quite bright.

I will be watching for him to see if there is some interest.