Kevin Dodd, DE Clemson

kearly

Reaction score
[youtube]nG_s7VoU5yk[/youtube]

He has 34" arms. At times gets a nice jump on the ball. Classic inside-out pass rusher. Productive last year. Generates a ton of pressures. Very tough to stop cold, he is ALWAYS on the move. He already has NFL caliber technique. He is probably the very best pass rusher in the entire draft as of this moment, though he has very little room for future growth. His motor never stops running and he plays very smart.

There is a lot to love about this player. I'm a fan personally. But I wonder if his lack of athleticism is too much to overcome. Granted, Michael Bennett tested poorly too, which is probably why NFL.com compares Dodd to Bennett.

For me I feel that Raheem Brock feels like the closest comp. Not blazing fast, but polished and smart. I wouldn't mind one bit if Seattle took Dodd at #26, I just wonder if they can get over Dodd's tiny SPARQ score, which has him at the 19th percentile in the NFL. Dodd also has a surprising lack of reps at DT, he's only been a pure edge guy at Clemson. It's hard to know how valid the potential Bennett comp might be without seeing Dodd take snaps inside. All the same, he's an interesting player and might be a wildcard for Seattle on day one.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I think he's very late round 1 or early 2nd. If they draft him, I hope it's not at 26. I think there's going to be better value players on the board still for the Hawks at that point. Only if they were to trade back a bit.

... but, the Hawks don't ask my opinion. ;) ... yet

penihawk

Reaction score
I think your assessment of Dodd is spot on kearly. I believe he becomes the or one of the best pass rushers in this draft. His one year production and lack of flashy underwear numbers could be our gain.

Avril is 30 and I would love the Dodd pick as his heirapparant at his death position. I took him in pandion's traceback mock and he is at the top of the list of players at 26. I just don't know if the hawks see it that way.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Largent80":2bykp5hv said:
Excuse me but we are short Brandon Mebane.

There's a good number of Mebane-lite offerings in rounds 3-5 this year. My guess is that's where we'll see his replacement drafted.

McGruff

Reaction score
Largent80":368t3d9b said:
So, were going Lite on DL this year?. Goodbye SB.

Rubin is a stout 310 piunds. Silaga is 345. AJ Francis, who the staff really likes, is 325. In the middle rounds you can get DJ Reader at 325 or Austin Johnson at 315.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Largent80":tj4vv2to said:
So, were going Lite on DL this year?. Goodbye SB.

There are some relatively good players in the middle rounds at DL this year.

skater18000

Reaction score
Wow! Just put this kid's tape on for the first time and a while, and he jumps off the screen. We need to jump up and grab him. I know his sparq scores aren't ideal, but he really stands out when you watch him. The versatility is there, I've seen some great coverage/flat drops by him and it stood out to me that he knows when to come up and pursue/contain the QB on escape plays. You see him benefit from his length/frame (6'5" 277 and 34"arms) in terms of both the run and pass rush. Takes outstanding pursuit angles to the ball. Very rarely gets to far up field and does well playing down the line of scrimmage

PC/JS if you're out there, he has 5 tech all over him!