Since we lost Mebane

Largent80

Reaction score
Do you think we draft his former position, add an FA, or promote someone?

I think that if they haven't traded the $26 pick and Bullard is there that he will be a force on the interior for years to come.

McGruff

Reaction score
Largent80":1pscb68u said:

I think that if they haven't traded the $26 pick and Bullard is there that he will be a force on the interior for years to come.

When it comes to run stuffing 1 gap tackles the Seahawks have shown they are more or less happy to go cheap at the position, either in FA or the draft. I don't see them spending a top pick for a 1 tech tackle.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
McGruff":cy3j74z6 said:
Largent80":cy3j74z6 said:

When it comes to run stuffing 1 gap tackles the Seahawks have shown they are more or less happy to go cheap at the position, either in FA or the draft. I don't see them spending a top pick for a 1 tech tackle.

Did you see them picking Irvin?....I know I didn't. I guess what I'm saying is their unpredictability (to us) has proven itself over and over.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Largent80":356h269i said:
McGruff":356h269i said:
Largent80":356h269i said:

Did you see them picking Irvin?....I know I didn't. I guess what I'm saying is their unpredictability (to us) has proven itself over and over.

He was viewed by many, but more importantly by the hawks as the best pass rusher in the draft. So yes it made sense. But since the kipers of the world thought he should of been drafted at 36 instead of 15 people freaked out.

McGruff

Reaction score
Seattle drafted Irvin as a pass rushing DE. He was going to be a LEO, a position that is vitally important and where they have put significant resources.

I might not have understood the player, but yes, I anticipated the position as a potential first round priority for Seattle.

I don't see Seattle historically valuing NT the same way.

purpleneer

Reaction score
I'd like to see someone who can play like pre-injury Mebane, who was much more dynamic against the run than many give him credit for. Even without chances in 3rd-and-long or otherwise "passing" situations, his non-sack pressure stats were more than respectable.
I'm wary of having too many guys who basically need to know whether it's run or pass to have a positive impact.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This may be the draft where a big interior run stuffer, ostensibly a NT, is drafted by the team. Butler or Billings are both candidates who may be the type of players the the team will take as the best player that improves a position the team has a need at. Both of the above are players who could start early at the NT position and be a credit to the strength of the DLine.

I agree with McG's observations above that the team under this regime has preferred to go cheap at this position but they still had Mebane then, and now they don't. Frankly I'd prefer the position was staffed by a player that wasn't as expensive in terms of draft capital, but the team has a plan and they know what needs the most attention so if they took Butler or Billings I'd understand but I'd rather they drafted a player who could add something to the pass rush if they were to draft a DLineman.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I can tell you I wouldn't be at all unhappy if the team drafted Butler and put his tutelage in the hands Ahtyba Rubin as far as hustling to the ball, which is Butler's biggest weakness as far as I see and a huge positive delivered by Rubin. Platooning for while may really help Butler understand how important not taking plays off after the play has seemingly gone away from you.

After that as others have said there are other capable NT types who may be capable of being drafted later in the draft.

Atradees

Reaction score
220px-Sealver_Siliga_2015.JPG

No. 98 Seattle Seahawks
Position: Defensive tackle
Personal information
Date of birth: April 26, 1990 (age 25)
Place of birth: West Jordan, Utah
Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
Weight: 345 lb (156 kg)

Bust out year for this guy......

McGruff

Reaction score
Atradees":2ygybz2j said:
220px-Sealver_Siliga_2015.JPG

No. 98 Seattle Seahawks
Position: Defensive tackle
Personal information
Date of birth: April 26, 1990 (age 25)
Place of birth: West Jordan, Utah
Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
Weight: 345 lb (156 kg)

Bust out year for this guy......
I agree.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Could be without a doubt. Besides he knows our system and won't be subject to learning how to play to the whistle as a pro.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
McGruff":n52w3gvd said:
Largent80":n52w3gvd said:

The Seahawks are easily one of the top 3 teams in terms of changing schemes and finding ways to get the best 11 guys on the field.

Remember Red Bryant? A lot of people on message boards were convinced that he was actually an ideal player playing a permanent role in Pete's defense. I knew he wasn't, and that the Hawks were playing to HIS strengths while they waited to add a younger Clemons 2.0 to hopefully pair with Clemons 1.0.

The Hawks HAD TO change to a more traditional DE setup in order to put more pressure on QBs and get more sacks. If your DEs aren't getting sacks then your DT's better be putting up sacks (which is obviously rarer).

Kind of like the mariners for most of the last decade. If your 1b isnt hitting HRs, and your DH and OF aren't hitting HRs, then HOW is the team going to get HRs? We are still lacking another pass-rushing DE, but if we can add 3 sacks from Billings and a few clean-up sacks caused by him that makes a difference.

I'd still prefer Kelly because bad center play can destroy an offense, but if the Hawks can add disruptors on the inside I don't think they'd hesitate. If we don't draft Kelly then I hope we can get Billings. I wasn't sold on him at first, but our defense can be scary good again if he's blowing things up on the inside.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Sealver Siliga will be a good contributor at the position. Certainly alleviate the loss of 'Bane on early downs. I don't think you draft the position high unless Billings falls down and he's the best left on the board.

I can't wait for this draft. If we reload the defensive line rotation with young talent and add a piece or two to the offensive line competition, I think we are primed to get to another Bowl.