Draft Trade Values

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm sure every team has their own chart for this, but does anybody know of a reasonable draft trade value chart? So for example, if the Seahawks traded out of the first into the early second, what might they be looking at for compensation?

Davidess

Reaction score
From what I recall the actual "draft chart" that a lot of people like to go off of is very outdated and the only thing you can really go off of is previous years trades and that isn't even accurate. the year Teddy Bridgewater came out the hawks traded back with Minny (Minnesota moved up 8 spots and it cost their 4th) It all depends on also how far the hawks would move back. the further back they go the higher the price id assume.

trading back early 2nd (32-44) might net a 4th-7th (45-55) maybe a 3-4th rd pick and so on and so forth. This is just a rough idea.

trading back for the hawks this year into the late 30s id think would get us an additional 4th or 5th. Unless some team is extremely desperate and gives up their 3rd which I see as unlikely..

sorry if I rambled on..i tried to help and I tend to go on haha.

McGruff

Reaction score
There is a chart, but yeah, it has changed a bunch because of changes to the CBA that altered rookie contracts. There is also a lot of year to year variables and also team to team vairables. Is it a good draft class? Is it top heavy and thin in the middle or does it have less elite prospects but more depth?. Is there value at the pick at skill positions, especially QB? What does the team need, and do they value quality picks or quantity picks?

Seattle tends to get less value in trades than other teams. For whatever reason, it's the one area where John seems to struggle.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Here is the original Draft pick trade value chart:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_trade_value.htm

However as others have said it's important to remember that this is very much outdated and doesn't take into account a lot of changes since Jimmy Johnson initially came out with it in the 1990's. No team would go off this chart hard and fast anymore and each team probably has a chart they make up for each year based on their draft strategy and how strong they feel the overall draft is and the different rounds. This older chart should only be used as a ballpark idea anymore, and with the rookie wage scale the top 5-10 are extremely undervalued by the charts numbers. The chart will be more accurate the later you get in the draft.

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":21gk8nhl said:
Seattle tends to get less value in trades than other teams. For whatever reason, it's the one area where John seems to struggle.

JS is a big believer in building business relationships with other GMs. So rather than be a hardliner, he's willing to take the smaller slice of the pie if it means maintaining good relations and developing a reputation as a guy that is easy to work with.

Few GMs have made as many trades as JS has since 2010. Not all of JS's trades have worked out, but we've seen time and again where a trade that goes well can have a huge impact on a franchise, such as when Belichick traded a 4th rounder for Randy Moss. Or when JS traded a 4th + 5th for Marshawn Lynch.