Meet the Seahawks athletic freak LT...

cover-2

Reaction score
The Seahawks athletic freak LT for the future is....Garry Gilliam! Yes, we all know he is a former TE, which means he is fairly athletic. But lets compare Gilliam's Pro Day #'s to the top OT's in this years draft. Keep in mind that Gilliam put up these #'s weighing 306 lbs.

Gilliam's broad jump: 9'5"
- Which would rank tied for 2nd best among o-lineman

Gilliam's 10-yard split: 1.68
- I can't find the overall rankings, so lets compare to the big named guys...
- Jack Conklin's 1.76
- Germain Ifedi's 1.79
- Ronnie Stanley's 1.79
- Jason Spriggs 1.76
- Connor McGovern 1.73

Gilliam's 40-yard dash: 5.03
- Which would rank tied for 6th best among o-lineman.

Gilliam's vertical jump: 35 inches
- I can't find the overall rankings, so lets compare to the big named guys...
- Jack Conklin's 30 inches
- Germain Ifedi's 32 1/2 inches
- Ronnie Stanley's 28 1/2 inches
- Jason Spriggs 31 1/2 inches
- (OG/OC) Connor McGovern 33 inches

Gilliam's 3 cone drill: 7.59
- Which would rank 12th best among o-lineman (better than Conklin's 7.63)

Gilliam's 20 yard shuttle: 4.56
- Which would rank 7th best among o-lineman

A8739c476504361637895513c7o0w299h204c0pid1 519050b076292e4ef9d4d05e16o0w299h252c0pid1

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I like how Gilliam progressed at RT and would rather he stay put, but yeah, I have to admit he has a lot of LT attributes.

DJrmb

Reaction score
You can also compare Gilliam to who he may be replacing:

Gilliam's broad jump: 9'5"
Okung's Broad jump: 8'9"

Gilliam's 10-yard split: 1.68
Okung's 10-yard split: 1.81

Gilliam's 40-yard dash: 5.03
Okung's 40-yard dash: 5.17

Gilliam's vertical jump: 35 inches
Okung's vertical jump: 32.5 inchaes

Gilliam's 3 cone drill: 7.59
Okung's 3 cone drill: 7.79

Gilliam's 20 yard shuttle: 4.56
Okung's 20 yard shuttle: 4.80

It was rumored early on that Gilliam was being groomed as the eventual LT, replacing Okung. I can remember rumblings of that even back when we first brought Gilliam in as people were saying he's more of a LT build than a RT. From everything I've seen I believe, and I'm fully confident, that Gilliam can be solid at that position. Maybe Gilliam will never be quite as skilled as a 100% healthy Russell Okung but I think he could be just as good for the team overall simply by staying healthier than Okung ever could, combining enough reliability and skill to give us an overall net gain at LT going forward.

Laloosh

Reaction score
The numbers look snazzy. I just can't get over watching him get no push over and over when run blocking last year.

Admittedly, I know very little (nothing) about OL play so I'll defer to the experts but I hated watching him at times.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I really like Gilliam.

His testing numbers compare very favorably to proven NFL LT Duane Brown. And, Gilliam's athletic and fairly ripped body at 300lbs+ indicates that the man is someone who puts in the work.

McGruff

Reaction score
kobebryant":1b0a6yv6 said:
I really like Gilliam.

His testing numbers compare very favorably to proven NFL LT Duane Brown. And, Gilliam's athletic and fairly ripped body at 300lbs+ indicates that the man is someone who puts in the work.

Gilliam, Sweezy, Sokoli, Britt and Glowinski are all built in such a way that if you were to see them on the street, you would never guess they were 300 lbs. They are fit, ripped and strong men. A far cry from the Alvin Baileys and James Carpenters you so often see. Seattle doesn't want fat along the OL.

kearly

Reaction score
I basically view Gilliam as the Seahawks equivalent of Mike Zunino. He's a nice player to have on the roster but starting him before he has developed adequately will stunt his long term growth.

Learning often requires taking 1 step back before taking two steps forward. Being in a hyper competitive environment at OT will force a player to stick with bad habits just to survive. I'd like to see Gilliam put on the back burner some more until it's clear that he's adequately developed in his technique.

If he does develop, then I think we'll always be left wanting more out his contributions in the run game. He lacks core strength and even with all the advantages OL have over DL, he rarely does better than a stalemate as a run blocker without getting significant help.

I think Gilliam is a solid backup, but I hope Seattle can find someone who is better. I would feel as good about Gilliam starting at LT in 2016 as I would about Brock Coyle starting at MLB.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Serious question... What good is the vertical leap stat for an OL?

McGruff

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3dj664ya said:
Serious question... What good is the vertical leap stat for an OL?

Vertical and broad jump demonstrate lower body explosion. Its actually one of the things that the Seahawks in general value even more highly than traditional measurements.

Combine testing isn't really about replicating field skills. Its about demonstrating proclivity in certain areas that relate to field skills.

No one is ever going to run backwards and forwards in an L-shape, or run ten yards and touch their hand to ground and run back again. No one is going to lay down and bench press a running back 40 times. But they will have to change directions and sift through trash and push bodies around and explode out of their stance. Combine drills help measure a player's potential to do those things.

massari

Reaction score
Should've re-signed Okung until Gilliam or draft pick prove themselves at LT.

McGruff

Reaction score
massari":jgw7873y said:

Unfortunately it is very hard for a player to "prove themselves" when there is an established veteran istting on the depth chart in front of them. Eventually you have to bite the bullet and take the risk. Okung missed too many games and lost too many skills to continue to occupy a roster spot.

ivotuk

Reaction score
massari":3b3ve2au said:

Okung made the choice to sign with Denver. Personally, I'm tired of an injured or gimpy Okung stagnating the growth of our offensive line. A lot of times, even though he was in there, he was limited because of injury.

Gilliam has experience blocking as a tight end, which while it isn't left tackle reps, it's not something out of the blue for him either.

Some of the best Left Tackles in the league were Tight Ends. Jason Peters for one. I don't know how accurate the following is, but it is definitely encouraging:

"2015 season[edit]

After a bad showing by Justin Britt at RT the Seahawks put Gilliam at RT and Britt at LG. Gilliam was originally a backup LT but he had to switch to RT. He was given two weeks to learn his new position before facing Robert Quinn and Chris Long and the St. Louis Rams in week 1.

Weeks 1-5 Gilliam was ranked 54th in pass protection and 26th in run blocking. Weeks 5-10 he was ranked 25th in pass protection and 11th in run blocking. Weeks 11-13 Gilliam was ranked 17th in pass protection and 1st in run blocking.
"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_Gilliam

And is it coincidence that he went to "Milton High School?" There was a Seahawk that attended Milton...College. :p

From the book "Take Your Eye off the Ball 2.0"

"We do it all the time at other spots, We make strong safeties in to Will linebackers. We take left tackles who lack the footbwork to handle speed rushers and move them to right tackle. We make tight ends out of basketball players.

Nate Solder came out of college as a tight end, converted to Right Tackle, and then became the Patriots starting Left Tackle
."

Nate Solder's Combine:

6'8", 35.5" Arms, 319#, 9.875" hands
40 time: 5.05
Bench: 21 reps
Vert: 32"
Broad: 110 inch
3-Cone: 7.44
20 Yd Shuttle: 4.34

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/nat ... id=2495232

kobebryant

Reaction score
Duane Brown '08 (Gilliam '14 in brackets)

Height: 6041 (6055)
Weight: 315 (306)
40: 5.08 (5.03)
225 Bench: 24 (19)
Vert: 27 1/2 (35)
Broad: 08'09 (9'05)

DJrmb

Reaction score
kearly":314b9wsx said:
I basically view Gilliam as the Seahawks equivalent of Mike Zunino. He's a nice player to have on the roster but starting him before he has developed adequately will stunt his long term growth.

Learning often requires taking 1 step back before taking two steps forward. Being in a hyper competitive environment at OT will force a player to stick with bad habits just to survive. I'd like to see Gilliam put on the back burner some more until it's clear that he's adequately developed in his technique.

If he does develop, then I think we'll always be left wanting more out his contributions in the run game. He lacks core strength and even with all the advantages OL have over DL, he rarely does better than a stalemate as a run blocker without getting significant help.

I think Gilliam is a solid backup, but I hope Seattle can find someone who is better. I would feel as good about Gilliam starting at LT in 2016 as I would about Brock Coyle starting at MLB.

I don't see how Gilliam is being rushed like Mike Zunino. This will be Gilliam's 3rd season in the NFL. His first year he was a backup LT and spent time learning the position. Last year he got the starting role at RT and though he had a rough beginning there is plenty of data showing a significant and steady improvement as the season went on. Now this 3rd season he is being given the chance to compete for the starting LT position. That seems like a very natural progression to me and I would trust Pete and his staff not to anoint Gilliam the LT if he doesn't legitimately beat out a couple of guys that they brought in with experience playing tackle in the NFL.

massari

Reaction score
McGruff":22we624a said:
massari":22we624a said:

Unfortunately it is very hard for a player to "prove themselves" when there is an established veteran istting on the depth chart in front of them. Eventually you have to bite the bullet and take the risk. Okung missed too many games and lost too many skills to continue to occupy a roster spot.
It would be a lot easier to "bite the bullet" if they were a rebuilding team, so wouldn't the pre season (to a certain extent) be a good way to see what you've got in Gilliam and/or the draft pick at LT?

Also, as a fairly new football fan, would it be out of the question to start the season giving a guy like Okung 80% of the snaps while Gilliam or the draft pick get the rest? If they start to show something consistently, then the job will be their's and Okung can be traded/released without any dead cap money.

titan3131

Reaction score
According to JS Gilliam will battle sowell for starting LT position. Webb is RT

massari

Reaction score
ivotuk":3nfktb7x said:
massari":3nfktb7x said:

Okung made the choice to sign with Denver. Personally, I'm tired of an injured or gimpy Okung stagnating the growth of our offensive line. A lot of times, even though he was in there, he was limited because of injury.

Gilliam has experience blocking as a tight end, which while it isn't left tackle reps, it's not something out of the blue for him either.

Some of the best Left Tackles in the league were Tight Ends. Jason Peters for one. I don't know how accurate the following is, but it is definitely encouraging:

"2015 season[edit]

After a bad showing by Justin Britt at RT the Seahawks put Gilliam at RT and Britt at LG. Gilliam was originally a backup LT but he had to switch to RT. He was given two weeks to learn his new position before facing Robert Quinn and Chris Long and the St. Louis Rams in week 1.

Weeks 1-5 Gilliam was ranked 54th in pass protection and 26th in run blocking. Weeks 5-10 he was ranked 25th in pass protection and 11th in run blocking. Weeks 11-13 Gilliam was ranked 17th in pass protection and 1st in run blocking.
"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_Gilliam

And is it coincidence that he went to "Milton High School?" There was a Seahawk that attended Milton...College. :p

From the book "Take Your Eye off the Ball 2.0"

"We do it all the time at other spots, We make strong safeties in to Will linebackers. We take left tackles who lack the footbwork to handle speed rushers and move them to right tackle. We make tight ends out of basketball players.

Nate Solder came out of college as a tight end, converted to Right Tackle, and then became the Patriots starting Left Tackle
."

Nate Solder's Combine:

6'8", 35.5" Arms, 319#, 9.875" hands
40 time: 5.05
Bench: 21 reps
Vert: 32"
Broad: 110 inch
3-Cone: 7.44
20 Yd Shuttle: 4.34

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/nat ... id=2495232
Those are some pretty amazing points. Had no Idea he improved that much as the season progressed or that he had such little time to prepare for RT. Starting to warm up to Gilliam lol.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Why would one care what an OL guy runs in the 40 yd dash is beyond me. I don't care if they ran it in 15 seconds. I'd rather he was an immovable object that doesn't allow guys to run through or around him. The Great Wall doesn't have a good 40 time but people can't seem to run through it . I want the Seahawk line to be more like the great wall of China.

McGruff

Reaction score
hawkfan68":23j6k3m8 said:
Why would one care what an OL guy runs in the 40 yd dash is beyond me. I don't care if they ran it in 15 seconds. I'd rather he was an immovable object that doesn't allow guys to run through or around him. The Great Wall doesn't have a good 40 time but people can't seem to run through it . I want the Seahawk line to be more like the great wall of China.

The 40 is largely irrelevant for linemen, but their 10 yard split on the 40 is significant. It measures how quickly you can react out of your stance and move.