Ryan Kelly will be the first Seahawk draft pick this year...

nanomoz

Reaction score
You might be right. If so, I hope they plan trading up to earlier in the second to draft a tackle prospect with a high ceiling. I really want Ifedi.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
nanomoz":xxze1vo3 said:
You might be right. If so, I hope they plan trading up to earlier in the second to draft a tackle prospect with a high ceiling. I really want Ifedi.

I second Ifedi. Can play both tackle and guard at a high level and is a complete sparq monster.

McGruff

Reaction score
Ask Matt Hasselbeck.

Back in 2005 Matt was asked who he thought they would draft, he said "probably a center."

It was thought to be a good natured shot to the ribs of Robbie Tobeck. But a few weeks later they drafter Chris Spencer.

I've got some work to do on centers, and Kelly will be the first stop.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I'm on board with this prediction. The question then becomes if they do draft him, is JS able to trade down some spots and still nab him? If so, how many spots and what does it garner him in return?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Not like it would hurt my feelings, but I get the feeling that they could get a quality Center in rounds 2-4.

Unless Kelly is the next Alex Mack, then I'd rather get the top end of the tier 2 Tackles first.

Davidess

Reaction score
The one thing I hope the hawks don't do is get "cute" this draft. Don't trade back thinking you can get your guy and than find out the team you traded behind ends up picking "your guy" happened last year with what was believed to be Mitch Morse. JS said they got 2/3 guys they wanted. 3rd was presumed to be Mitch Morse who was picked just ahead of Seattle by KC. Which kind of explains the cluster F*** at the beginning of the season at C haha.

Just hope they don't get cute. If they like a guy keep the pick and select him. Don't do the trading back and have it bite your ass again.

Anyways. hope you all had a good weekend..haha

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Davidess":1gmxcfyx said:
The one thing I hope the hawks don't do is get "cute" this draft. Don't trade back thinking you can get your guy and than find out the team you traded behind ends up picking "your guy" happened last year with what was believed to be Mitch Morse. JS said they got 2/3 guys they wanted. 3rd was presumed to be Mitch Morse who was picked just ahead of Seattle by KC. Which kind of explains the cluster F*** at the beginning of the season at C haha.

I get the idea. Although that's not what happened at all last year. We didn't have a shot Morse, because we already traded our 1st for Jimmy Graham. A trade I'd make 1000 times out of 1000.

Mitch Morse even with Graham's injury in hindsight isn't worth scuttling that deal.

Actually, this year is the year to consider that very thing. If we want to upgrade OC -- there are a lot of options for us. Probably as many as 5 prospects in play. You could trade back from 25 to 45 and still have a legit shot at one of Kelly/Martin/Westerman. Probably two of those. Maybe all three.

The difference between Kelly and the tier 2 isn't a massive gulf. Kelly is the better prospect in my opinion. But that is no guarantee he's the best of the group this time next year. Or that as many as 4 of these guys ends up quality NFL starters.

You don't need an all pro at center. You can have guys that are just below that. You can dominate the league with a roster of barely sub pro bowl talents like KJ Wright, Irvin, Avril, Bennett, Baldwin, Mebane, Graham, Lockett.

I don't want a bunch of pro bowl guys. That only soothes our ego as fans. Makes 'List Season' interesting. But those guys all get paid monster dollars. I'd rather have pro bowl caliber play from guys we can resign. I don't want headliner names. Just headliner quality players.

If you're asking if I'd rather have Kelly and a Terry Poole caliber OT in this draft, versus Shon Coleman and Nick Martin/Christian Westerman out of this draft -- I'm going to go with the latter every time this comes up.

The empirically better prospect doesn't equate to the better pick. There are other considerations.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I like Kelly, and I'd be happy with the pick. But, for better or worse, this team likes to get linemen that project to being able to play multiple positions; I've looked into Kelly and I haven't seen it noted anywhere that he is anything but a one position guy.

Personally, I say take the best guy at the position he plays and just lock that spot down. Kelly would do that, but I also think there are good potential centers later in Nick Martin, Graham Glasgow or converting Christian Westerman/Connor McGovern.

I'm also cool with building up the talent elsewhere, and Patrick Lewis winning the spot. Lewis has improved year by year.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I originally wanted Ryan Kelly...but I'm off that train. Here's my unconventional picks:

Trade down from 26 to 40.

40: DE Emmanual Ogbah

56: C Connor McGovern

TRADE UP: LG Josh Garnett (3rd & 4th)

3rd Round: DT Willie Henry

4th Round: OLB Travis Feeney

LT - Gilliam
LG - Garnett
C - McGovern
RG - Glowinski
RT - Webb

Not a light the world on fire OL, but I think it's nice with upside. I think that Left side would have huge potential moving forward.

Even better; we obtain a very high upside Pass Rusher. Imagine the NASCAR package of:

DE Cliff Avril
DT Michael Bennett
DT Emmanual Ogbah
DE Frank Clark

Lastly, you get acquire 2 high upside prospects in Henry and Feeney to fuel the defense. I think Henry can start Day 1, while Feeney can work into a more integrated role.

kearly

Reaction score
There are some who view Coleman and Ifedi as guards due to both being waist benders. If Seattle shares that opinion, then going for Kelly with their first pick could make decent sense.

I suspect that they grade Ifedi very highly. Seattle doesn't often make obvious picks in round one, but Ifedi is the obvious pick, IMO.

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":253xoyms said:
There are some who view Coleman and Ifedi as guards due to both being waist benders. If Seattle shares that opinion, then going for Kelly with their first pick could make decent sense.

I suspect that they grade Ifedi very highly. Seattle doesn't often make obvious picks in round one, but Ifedi is the obvious pick, IMO.

I think Cable also isn't as keyed up on a LT being an elite pass protector. He'd probably take a guy who would be a RT on most teams and slap him at LT and call it good. I figured they'd do that with Ereck Flowers and La'el Collins last year as well.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":2x30fjpu said:
Ask Matt Hasselbeck.

Back in 2005 Matt was asked who he thought they would draft, he said "probably a center."

It was thought to be a good natured shot to the ribs of Robbie Tobeck. But a few weeks later they drafter Chris Spencer.

Evan Boehm in the mid rounds

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
ivotuk":3hp8901j said:
Wrong! Andrew Billings! :thirishdrinkers:
That would be something to nab Billings. Can't stand the mock drafts that have Billings still available and the Hawks passing on him only for the Packers to take him a selection later. Crazy.

McGruff

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":10d9az9n said:
McGruff":10d9az9n said:
Ask Matt Hasselbeck.

Evan Boehm in the mid rounds

Evan Boehm will never be a Seahawk. Short arms, limited athletic profile.

The list of possible centers for Seattle is probably limited to these names:

Ryan Kelly
Connor McGovern
Cody Whitehall
Jake Brenda
Graham Glasgow
Nick Martin

Even those last two players are borderline. They be the least athletic centers Seattle has ever had.

penihawk

Reaction score
The biggest hole left with dealing Unger last year was the mental part and getting the line calls made. Way too many negative plays due to mental mistakes and miscommunications. How do the others including Lewis stack up against Kelly's experience and leadership at center. I think it's a huge spot to get right given our limited resources at OL.

McGruff

Reaction score
If getting a center with experience is important to us . . .

Jake Brendel, UCLA . . . 4 year starter at center.
Ryan Kelly, Alabama . . . 3 year starter at center.
Nick Martin . . . 2.5 year starter at center.

But we know versatility is important to Seattle, and Martin is the only one of the three with demonstrable versatility at other positions.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1slzgasv said:
If getting a center with experience is important to us . . .

Jake Brendel, UCLA . . . 4 year starter at center.
Ryan Kelly, Alabama . . . 3 year starter at center.
Nick Martin . . . 2.5 year starter at center.

But we know versatility is important to Seattle, and Martin is the only one of the three with demonstrable versatility at other positions.

I think Seattle has had two standards.

1. Versatility important.
2. Center position excluded.

Seattle has for some time carried an OC and backup who played the position exclusively. The OG/OT positions have had a lot of crossover. But the OC position has been immune to that.

My guess is that the technical expertise required to function there is just that much greater than anywhere else. We'd like to have awesome athleticism there, but are not willing to go below a specific technical skill level regardless of how athletic a prospect is.