The Dark Horse Draft

firebee

Reaction score
Going Dark Horse. Instead of drafting based on standard projections and worrying about where other teams project players, which allows other teams to dictate how you'll draft and what players you'll get; I'm going dark horse and grabbing players that I think are great fits for our team and taking other draftboard projections out of the equation. This will entail a lot of perceived reaches until the later rounds, but if a player can step in an make a positive impact on the team; at the end of the day, who cares if you reached for the players or not? The only thing that matters with this kind of draft strategy is... Will the player make a positive impact on the team? Don't care if they're projected as a 4th, 5th or 7th rounder. Can they produce in a Seahawk uniform? That's all that matters.

1st Step... Trade our 1st round pick & our last 7th to Cleveland or Tennessee for their 2nd, 4th & 6th round pick. Going Dark Horse... We don't need to worry about our position in the 1st round and trying to land that one player that might slide to us at #26. We're targeting someone that's completely off the radar. An extra pick in the early 4th and moving up from our #27 pick in the 7th to the 1st or 2nd pick in the 6th round is more valuable to a Dark Horse draft.

#33 or #34 - Tanner McEvoy, Safety/LB/TE/WR/QB out of Wisconsin - I hear all the pundits ogling over Braxton Miller, but we shock the NFL and take McEvoy. McEvoy is the guy that prompted me to do a dark horse draft strategy. Perceived to be a great athlete that Wisconsin tried to find a role for, but that's not what I see when I watch him play. I see an absolutely amazing football player that has such an incredible feel for the game that Wisconsin plugged him in wherever they were weakest because he can play anywhere and do everything. His athleticism, football IQ and unique body type puts him in a category of his own. I see a 6'6" 230+ lb. Troy Polamalu that's capable of playing on offense too if need be.
I think about how many different looks we could produce with our defense by moving him around on any given play and he becomes a guy we just have to get. He is, flat out, a baller that's going to make a lot of big plays. He's someone opposing teams will have to account for or he'll make them pay. This kid has a seriously insane feel for the game.

#57 - Willie Henry, DT out of Michigan - We very well may keep Mebane and Rubin on board, but we're thin at DT and the years are catching up to these two guys. I can hear the pundits talking about Chris Jones or Vernon Adams here, but Henry is the best DT on the board after Rankins and Billings are taken off the board IMO. This is a kid that will make an impact on our line. When I look at the combination of size, athleticism, fundamental play, leverage and his insane motor; I have Henry pegged as the most well rounded DT prospect in this draft. As a rotational DT, he'll make an impact on the roster and he'll be a monster after a season or two with some NFL coaching. He's going to be a a solid starter in the NFL. He could become a pro-bowl caliber DT that just wrecks the LOS if he develops a wider variety of counters and pass rushing moves.

#90 - Devon Cajuste, WR out of Stanford - Everyone's looking at 40 speeds and stats in college. I'm looking at who has the skills, size and abilities that'll translate to the NFL. Marshall, Fitzgerald, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson... You know what these guys all have in common. They're all big 6'3"+ 220+ lb. physical WRs with hands, body control and hops. The only receiver in this draft that falls in line with these guys is Cajuste. I don't care about stats or the fastest 40. I care about size, body control, hands and hops. Add the fact that he's arguably one of the best run blocking WRs in the draft and he's clearly the best fit for our offense. We don't need another P-Rich, Baldwin or Lockett. We need a big physical #1 type with hands that can get loose downfield and create mismatches. He's the only receiver in this draft that's in the mold of a Brandon Marshall or AJ Green, which is the best fit for our receiving corp.

3rd Round Comp - Connor McGovern, OG out of Missouri - I know a lot of pundits are projecting him as an OT in the NFL, and their's a possibility we could try him out at OT, but I see us trying to move him inside. Converted D-Line project with a wrestling background at Missouri that played fairly well at LT, but fact remaining with our FO... They're not inclined to put shorter players with shorter arms at OT, though I don't think it should be ruled out if a player proves they can handle their own at OT. Still.. This is a Tom Cable offensive lineman... Wrestling background, extremely athletic and a guy that could possibly play inside or outside. An athletic mauler that holds up well at the point of attack with the athleticism to get to the second level or to the outside and spring runs. I'd be really surprised if we didn't take McGovern somewhere in this draft. In worst case scenario, I see McGovern really pressing the issue for the start at guard.

4th Rd, #1 or #2 from Cleveland or Tennessee - Dan Vitale, FB out of Northwestern - Okay... So we could draft someone who's slated to start at RB or we could draft Vitale, who operated as a superback for Northwestern; a hybrid running, catching and blocking fullback. I'm really really liking the prospect of bringing Vitale in to compete at RB and FB for us. With his kind of speed, hands and ability, he could just as easily step in as a downhill short yardage big back to offset Rawls, as much as a FB. Size, power, great speed and quickness for his size and he has that smashmouth demeanor. I think he compares very well to Zach Line and Reece, who are my favorite FBs in the league. They're do it all guys that can run, block and catch. Vitale is a guy that will make an impact on our offense in a variety of ways and I feel he's someone who could challenge for snaps as a RB in our offense. This is a piss everyone else off pick because a lot of people around the NFL are liking him, but everyone is projecting Vitale as a 3rd day pick due to his perceived FB position. We lock him up at the end of the 2nd day. Surprise!!!

4th Round, #26 - Trae Elston - DB out of Ole MIss - Played Safety at Ole Miss, but when I watch him play, watch the way he runs with players in man coverage, watch the way he tackles, watch the way he plays the ball and see his mannerisms on the field; I see a Richard Sherman protege. I don't know what his physical tests are going to tell us, but on film... I see a kid that resembles Sherman in style of play and ability so much that I have to take him in the hopes of landing another Sherman across from Sherman. The experience at Safety also makes him a viable insurance policy on Thomas, though I don't really see him as a Strong Safety. He's more of a physical coverage DB than a thumper that's going to blow up RBs & TEs with big hits like Kam, but I like the versatility he can bring as a corner/safety type.

5th Round Comp - Dominique Robertson, OT/OG out of West Georgia - Another OT/OG prospect with all the measurables and physical abilities our staff looks for. Immensely strong, great size and athletic with long arms and big hands. Small school guy, so how he'll fare against players in the NFL is a concern, but I've watched some West Georgia film and he is fundamentally sound for the most part. Doesn't reach a whole lot, doesn't bend at the waist, sets up nicely, plays at a good pad level and has amazing quickness for his size. Problem with watching film on him, the competition level isn't even worth noting. You have to try projecting how he moves and how he plays to how he'd fare against better competition. Everything is there with this kid, but I wonder how he'll handle going up against NFL players. If he's not phased by the competition in the NFL and translates his abilities to the next level, he's an instant starter. He also meets the requirements to move inside, so I'm loving the versatility here. I think Robertson could be a real gold pick for us.

6th Round from Cleveland or Tennessee - Jeff Driskel, QB out of Louisiana Tech - Top QB coming out of high school that just didn't take over and blow up the college ranks like many thought he would. This is the kid I think would benefit immensely as a backup in Seattle. Gets a quality QB and coaching staff to learn from without being thrown to the wolves and builds his confidence. Everything is there with this kid; athleticism, arm strength, size... everything. Just needs a little work to get over the top and get back on the horse. Vernon Adams has to be a consideration here too, but I think a team takes Adams earlier than expected due to his performance at the Shrine game and Senior Bowl, hoping they get DangeRuss 2.0.

6th round Comp - David Perkins, LB/DE out of Illinois St. - I see Bruce Irvin 2.0 here. Same build, same get off and explosion off the snap, same ability to take the corner on the edge. The fact that he rarely comes up on any boards means their's a good chance we land him here. Love the intensity this kid plays with. Just seems like a solid choice for us early in the 6th round that could replicate some of what Irvin did for us. I think we get a real steal here at the beginning of the 6th round.

7th Round from Dallas - Ben Braunecker, TE out of Harvard - Hard to tell how he'll fare against NFL competition when it comes to run blocking, as he's going to be dealing with stronger, bigger and faster guys. Needs to do a better job of snatching balls with his hands and not catching with his body, but his SPARQ is off the charts and he has the prototype size you look for in a TE. I like spending the early 7th here on this kid to bring him in and see if he can produce in the NFL. Coming from Harvard, smarts shouldn't be an issue and his testing at the combine shows he's right in line with what you look for in an NFL TE.

The Dark Horse Draft is complete... We get who we want and what other teams do have little to no impact on who we take.

randomation

Reaction score
I like Tanner I like him a lot I just think the earliest you take him is the third if not later I don't think anyone will have him on their board before the 6th at the absolute earliest.

cheese22

Reaction score
I've always believed our fo has had the same strategy: who cares if you reach a little early, as long as you get your guys after it's all done. A player's performance isn't contingent on the round they were taken, although their salary is. The only downfall is if that player doesn't pan out you set yourself up for some criticism (Irvin his first couple years). But if they pan out you look like a genius (RW).

I do the same in fantasy football and catch some crap for it but if I really feel good about someone I don't care if I take them a round earlier than projected. I'd rather reach a little and have the team I like vs. waiting and missing out.

Great point OP.

cheese22

Reaction score
I wrote my first post before reading your actual picks. Now I've seen your picks and really like the players. One thing I noticed is versatility. Half those guys can play more than one position in a pinch. I love McEvoy, McGovern, Henry, Elston and Vitale. I'd probably rather have Adams over Driskell after watching him last year. Also, I've become a huge Tretola/Kirkland fan and really hope to walk away with one of them.

Great draft! BTW-where did you see the video of Robertson?

OP
OP
F

firebee

Reaction score
cheese22":297amqhu said:
I wrote my first post before reading your actual picks. Now I've seen your picks and really like the players. One thing I noticed is versatility. Half those guys can play more than one position in a pinch. I love McEvoy, McGovern, Henry, Elston and Vitale. I'd probably rather have Adams over Driskell after watching him last year. Also, I've become a huge Tretola/Kirkland fan and really hope to walk away with one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAaI3Va-t5I ... Watch #75. Their are a few other West Georgia videos, but you don't really get a good look at the play on the line. This is the best look I've got of him so far. Needs to bend his knees more to get better sink in his setup, so he avoids getting stood up against bull rushes and develop a little better slide. Uses his hands to neutralize defenders, but he could do a better job of controlling defenders with his hands. Steps are short and choppy on his slide and that will become a problem when he's trying to stay with NFL caliber edge rushers. Looks really quick getting downfield to make blocks, but needs work on squaring up to his blocks at the 2nd level and in space. After watching this video, their are some holes in his game. Looks like a natural fit for the position and shows the athleticism to be a good OT, but he could make things a lot easier on himself with better technique and show a little more aggression.

OP
OP
F

firebee

Reaction score
randomation":26b4vhp3 said:
I like Tanner I like him a lot I just think the earliest you take him is the third if not later I don't think anyone will have him on their board before the 6th at the absolute earliest.

I love the versatility, his traits and his feel for the game, but I'd like him a lot more if he showed a little more physicality on defense. Needs work on form tackling and it would be nice to see him be a little more aggressive in working through the traffic on defense, but that's my only major knock against him. Of course... Physicality is a major issue for this team. You're not going to make the team if you don't show physicality and attack the plays in traffic on defense.

OP
OP
F

firebee

Reaction score
firebee":3eca6y20 said:
cheese22":3eca6y20 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAaI3Va-t5I ... Watch #75. Their are a few other West Georgia videos, but you don't really get a good look at the play on the line. This is the best look I've got of him so far. Needs to bend his knees more to get better sink in his setup, so he avoids getting stood up against bull rushes and develop a little better slide. Uses his hands to neutralize defenders, but he could do a better job of controlling defenders with his hands. Steps are short and choppy on his slide and that will become a problem when he's trying to stay with NFL caliber edge rushers. Looks really quick getting downfield to make blocks, but needs work on squaring up to his blocks at the 2nd level and in space. After watching this video, their are some holes in his game. Looks like a natural fit for the position and shows the athleticism to be a good OT, but he could make things a lot easier on himself with better technique and show a little more aggression.

Another name that might pop in here is Stephane Nembot, but I think someone is going to take him before the 5th round comp. rolls around. If not... Nembot is a steal.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I'm posting this during the 1-st day of FA, so ---> Assuming: (1) Okung is retained, likely on a 1-yr. deal? --That is what I think will happen. (2) Sweezy, Mebane & Kearse all depart. And, Kam being traded during or pre-draft is a slight POSSIBILITY as well. I see the draft going down something like this..............................
(Rankings are per: cbssports.com (xxx) rankings as of 3/07/16 update. I like to use the current rankings to avoid reaching (or being oblivious of rankings) so I update my personal mocks weekly to conform to rankings as a result).

1/26----OT-Germain Ifedi(42) ----Plays left OG year-1, then takes over for Okung.---- (Coleman/Spriggs works also.)
2/56----DE-Charles Tapper(77) ----Pass Rush - partial replacement for Irvin---- (I like Ogbah better but he's at #27.)
3/90----FS/CB-Sean Davis(97) ----replaces FS-Terrell initially, ET eventually, a BIG thumper---- (long range planning)
3/98----SS-Miles Killebrew(113) ----replacement for KAM?, --> or maybe at ....death-backer?---- (just find him a spot,)
4/125---OLB-Travis Feeney(142) ----OLB/DE replacement for Irvin?---- (Hope his health is okay now & in the future)
5/172---DT-Willie Henry(175) ----replacement for Mebane on the DL?---- (rotational guy & F-Clarks friend.)
6/215---QB-Brandon Allen(218) ----replacement for T-Jack? ---- (save $$, train him up, + future trade value?)
7/223---OLB/DE-Stephen Weatherly(231) ----developmental LB/DE.---- (obviously very raw but a + athlete.)
7/245---WR-Devon Cajuste(350) ----A candidate to replace Kearse?---- (I like his workout #'s + he's a good blocker.)
-----------UDFA's: ------------
WR-MarQuez North(435), ----If Cajuste isn't available, here's another potential Kearse replacement----
RB-Peyton Barber(322), ----potentially a replacement for RB-Jackson? MAYBE: This years Rawls?----
DT-Connor Wujciak(269), ----Moldable piece of clay, possible OL convert? he's a + athlete.----
OT-Stephane Nembot(379), ----Talk about moldable, this kid has ++ upside, BUT also lots to learn.----

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Here is my post day 1 FA mock.
26: R1P26
OT GERMAIN IFEDI
TEXAS A&M

We still don't know if Okung is back. If he is Ifedi kicks Britt to the bench and forms a strong left side. If okung walks Gilliam and Ifedi duke it out for LT/RT.

56: R2P25
WR STERLING SHEPARD
OKLAHOMA

I believe Kearse is gone as he has said so. Russ likes shifty sudden guys and I believe pairing Shepard with Baldwin and Lockett makes a terrifying trio.

90: R3P27
DT JAVON HARGRAVE
SOUTH CAROLINA STATE

I am assuming we grab another run stuffer on the cheap in FA. I am aiming for someone who can push the pocket and penetrate into the backfield. I think Hargrave can be that guy.

98: R3P35
DE JAMES COWSER
SOUTHERN UTAH

Cowser is an animal at the lower levels. He recently broke records held by Jared Allen. He looks the part and it is worth a shot to see if he can translate to the next level.

125: R4P26
S KJ DILLON
WEST VIRGINIA

An all around great safety. I think he can back up both spots.

172: R5P33
G JOE DAHL
WASHINGTON STATE

Cable loves tackles playing guard. Dahl probably can't be a tackle in the NFL but if Okung walks he can probably kick Britt to the bench.

215: R6P37
RB MARSHAUN COPRICH
ILLINOIS STATE

Looks like a late round steal. Has awesome speed and would pair well with Rawls.

223: R7P4
WR MIKE THOMAS
SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI

I think he's the most under rated receiver in the draft. Has some flaws but also can make big plays and take over a game.

245: R7P26
QB JEFF DRISKEL
LOUISIANA TECH

Really just taking a flyer here on a QB. We need someone to compete for the backup QB spot.

JKent82

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3m8yw5pi said:
Pete and John make it a point to get a player at the latest possible point. It's their draft strategy.

Should be noted this also leads to the discussed overdrafting/getting your guy. The latest possible point for a team may be much earlier than is *popular* if it's the last player in a tier, a la Britt.

cover-2

Reaction score
firebee":3sb962zr said:
4th Rd, #1 or #2 from Cleveland or Tennessee - Dan Vitale, FB out of Northwestern - Okay... So we could draft someone who's slated to start at RB or we could draft Vitale, who operated as a superback for Northwestern; a hybrid running, catching and blocking fullback. I'm really really liking the prospect of bringing Vitale in to compete at RB and FB for us. With his kind of speed, hands and ability, he could just as easily step in as a downhill short yardage big back to offset Rawls, as much as a FB. Size, power, great speed and quickness for his size and he has that smashmouth demeanor. I think he compares very well to Zach Line and Reece, who are my favorite FBs in the league. They're do it all guys that can run, block and catch. Vitale is a guy that will make an impact on our offense in a variety of ways and I feel he's someone who could challenge for snaps as a RB in our offense. This is a piss everyone else off pick because a lot of people around the NFL are liking him, but everyone is projecting Vitale as a 3rd day pick due to his perceived FB position. We lock him up at the end of the 2nd day. Surprise!!!

Vitale at 240 lbs has the 4th best SPARQ score of all the RB's this year, even better than Derrick Henry. In the past there have been other stud FB's that were given a chance to compete some as a RB, guys like Brian Leonard and Peyton Hillis. Leonard was a bust as a 2nd round pick. Hillis was a 7th round pick and had a short but decent career. Hillis had one season over 1,000 yards as a starting RB for the Browns. I would be very intrigued with trying to convert Vitale to a RB. For me, I would be comfortable using a 5th round pick on him with the idea of converting him to a RB.

Vitale was an impressive RB in high school. Here is Vitale's senior year highlights...
[youtube]A6IaN4JFGNc[/youtube]

CPHawk

Reaction score
7th rounder I could see the Hawks looking at, Joe Walker UO LB. I think this season he played next to a bunch of terrible LB, and he tried to do to much because of it, but his numbers are intriguing, and if nothing else he could be a solid ST guy.

At the UO pro day he measured at 6'2.5 240, 4.56 40, 37 1/2 vert, 10'4 broad jump and 24 reps on bench.