Cracking the Seahawks Oline Code.

titan3131

Reaction score
What was the number one thing john Schneider said they wanted the Offensive Line to have?

“When I look at offensive lines, and the really good offensive lines that I have been around, that cohesion and being able to play together (matters) more so than the pure talent of a guy who is really quick or super flexible or rates specifically in an athletic manner. So to me it’s about finding that right combination and having those guys who are smart and tough and reliable enough to work with coach (Tom) Cable and just work as a group in unison and be able to work with all of the adjustments that are coming and the blitzes and the adjustments in the running game.
“You can’t just go with the most athletic, best-looking dude with the longest arms. There has to be an aspect of his mental quickness, his awareness, his ability to pick up stunts and blitzes, study his opponent, be ready to play the game, and that cohesion to be able to work with the guy next to him.”

COHESION

We know a couple things,

1. They love Missouri, they constantly scout there seemingly more then anywhere else.

2. our team loves sparq.

So here's my prediction:

We are all going to freak out when they dont draft Oline first. We will address the pash rush #1. Next I think we will rab the Cohesion by adding 2 more peices from the Mizzou OLINE.

1. the Higher pick Connor McGovern. RT/G Mizzou
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555133
heres a vid of him killing it with some sick lifts. He is incredibly athletic and would be great competition on the line.

[youtube]3PhuWBV_e3w[/youtube]
Here is a video where Connor talks about his communication with his center and part 2 of this plan.

[youtube]RbAWmbPVffA[/youtube]

TLDR version is they use a system of grunts to communicate.

2. The lower pick Evan Boehm Center for Mizzou

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555181
40 consecutive starts. IRONMAN great leader.

the reason I think this might be a target is that we could possibly salvage Britt by surrounding him with his brothers he has played with for years already. Even though I hate his play the past season if they think he can still turn it around I see them taking a chance at this.

I think targeting these 2 takes pressure off our having to force picks (another thing JS talked about) we cacn go purely BPA and keep adding youth to our team.
What do you guys think?

Erebus

Reaction score
I think McGovern would be a great pick in round 3. However, if you're going to focus on drafting linemen from one college just for the sake of cohesion with an existing member of our line, why should the strategy revolve around our worst player?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I would be surprised if the Hawks drafted an online man before round 4. Unless some badass falls in their lap.

Them talking cohesion just screams to me that they are just gonna keep on keeping on and hope our project online developes.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
Erebus":243mwe15 said:
I think McGovern would be a great pick in round 3. However, if you're going to focus on drafting linemen from one college just for the sake of cohesion with an existing member of our line, why should the strategy revolve around our worst player?

my theory is that they dont think he is a bad player, just made mistakes and needs better team work and communication.

I hate britt personally. But I think that Evan and Connor are both semi under the radar and great prospects for our line. The fact that we have Britt already is just cake that we put him in the easiest situation to succeed and if not then Glow or someone elsek takes his spot and he gets cut.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2x36bxg0 said:
I would be surprised if the Hawks drafted an online man before round 4. Unless some badass falls in their lap.

Them talking cohesion just screams to me that they are just gonna keep on keeping on and hope our project online developes.

I agree partially. I think the project Oline isnt the goal, its a lotto ticket. Maybe we win maybe we dont. Either way not taking more oline would go against our Philosophy of always compete.

kearly

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":bu2tbwqp said:

That's how I see it too, pretty much. His statements were political.

That said, I do think we'll see some new additions on the OL this year, and I think the scouting emphasis will start to drift away from drafting raw athletes.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
If you watched the 2nd video, they talk about having their own language of grunts they use to communicate. Personally if they can pull this off and salvage britt this is the smartest option.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
I might be reading into this WAY TOO MUCH.

But I have heard Connor McGovern say the word "Cohesion" in almost every video where he talks about the Oline.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
he hurt my favorite robot by lack of skill/implementation.

firebee

Reaction score
Our FO has had the tendency to occasionally get a player or two from the same school because that school uses a zone a similar style offense or a similar defense. Drafting two guys from the same school as Britt to try correcting one of the biggest reaches in recent history by reaching for two more guys isn't very logical. Not to say that McGovern or Boehm wouldn't be options at the right spot because they both have traits our staff looks for. McGovern is very athletic and Boehm is noted for being durable and tough, but let's be realistic. Would also like to add that none of the players on our offensive line came from the same school at any time during PCs tenure in Seattle, so I'm not sure where some are getting the idea that we draft guys from the same school for the benefit of cohesion. They've drafted guys from the same school at completely different positions a couple times because the coaches at that school use a lot of the same terminology and schemes that we use on offense or defense.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
Specifically mizzou because tom cable has a history with their oline coaches there. The way they teach online meshes with his teachings.

The benefit for britt is just icing on the cake.

McGovern is in the top 90% of NFL athletes. He is a target I bet my life on it.

The center Evan Boehm is a wrestling champ, has a language of communication he uses for the line. He has never missed a game. We are just lucky the center position is so deep otherwise he wouldn't get out of the 3rd.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
TC loves O-lineman from Mizzou, because of his relstionship to forme HC Gary Pinkel.

Heard this researching more as we speak

cheese22

Reaction score
I wouldn't be upset if we came out of this draft with Boehm and McGovern. Both get good push on runs and look agile enough. If the fo is wanting to get back to being the bullies, adding these two is a step in the right direction.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Shorter arms, so I doubt we'll find a LT from Mizzou this year...

nanomoz

Reaction score
It could suggest that a center is a priority.

McGruff

Reaction score
Preliminary post-combine Seahawks-centric OL list. This is based on results in 4 categories that are historically of critical importance to Seattle at the position: Arm length, Bench Press, Vertical and 10 yard split. A 1.0 indicates perfect adherence to Seahawk ideals in all categories. A score of .5 indicates the player meets Seahawks minimums in all categories. Some data is incomplete because players chose not to test, so they were graded on known test results.

Conklin, Jack Michigan St. OT 1
Tunsil, Laremy Mississippi OT 1
Kelly, Ryan Alabama C 0.9
McGovern, Connor Missouri OG 0.9
Spriggs, Jason Indiana OT 0.9
Benenoch, Caleb UCLA OT 0.875
Brendel, Jake UCLA C 0.875
Shell, Brandon South Carolina OT 0.875
Theus, John Georgia OT 0.875
Ifedi, Germain Texas A&M OG 0.8
Johnstone, Tyler Oregon OT 0.8
Thuney, Joe N.C. State OG 0.8
Coleman, Shon Auburn OT 0.75
Ehinger, Parker Cincinnati OG 0.75
Haeg, Joe North Dakota St. OT 0.75
Seumalo, Isaac Oregon St. OG 0.75
Stanley, Ronnie Notre Dame OT 0.75
Vaitai, Halapoulivaati TCU OT 0.75
Dahl, Joe Washington St. OG 0.7
Decker, Taylor Ohio St. OT 0.7
Lewis, Alex Nebraska OT 0.7
Robertson, Dominique West Georgia OT 0.7
Westerman, Christian Arizona State OG 0.7
Garnett, Joshua Stanford OG 0.6
Glasgow, Graham Michigan C 0.6
Allen, Jack Michigan St. C 0.50
Beavers, Willie Western Michigan OT 0.5
Cheek, Joseph Texas A&M OG 0.5
Jackson, Domenick Alabama OG 0.5
Murphy, Kyle Stanford OT 0.5
Odhiambo, Rees Boise St. OG 0.5
Toner, Cole Harvard OT 0.5
Tuerk, Max USC C 0.5

I think this represents the players at the combine that Seattle would consider at some point throughout the draft. If they aren't on the list, I don't think they are on our board.

McGruff

Reaction score
I'm watching Conner McGovern, and I think he'll be high on our list. Played LT this year, but has experience at RT and RG also. THe guard experience is important, because he has played with his hand on the ground as well as in a two point stance. And he has wrestling in his background . . . so yeah, that's pretty much an automatic. In what I've seen so far he's pretty quick into his backpedal and does a good job staying in front of his man. I did see at least a couple of intances where he reached outside his body and got beat badly, ending up on the ground. His athletic profile is off the charts.

Also . . . Germaine Ifedi looks pretty good to me. No experience to speak of at LT, but he looks and moves like a LT to me. Insanely quick out of his set, almost to the point of looking like a false start every single snap. Gets a real jump in pass protection. But I don't see him firing off the ball as a run blocker very much. Not to say he can't do it, they just don't play that well.

That's what makes evaluating college tackles so hard, and why I like to see some interior line experience from college tackles.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
Not gonna lie I started following connor on all social media and I totally wanna be his friend. He lifts. He's funny. too bad I don't have a sister...

Smellyman

Reaction score
His arms are 33, but his are 34. This is the new one that cracks me up. Have them stand arms wide and you can barely tell a difference.

eyeballs better than arm measurements.

Latest posts