Not looking like a very good draft this year

kearly

Reaction score
Pre-combine, I wasn't very high on this draft. Looking at 1st round mocks, I saw very few players that I'd be excited to get. Who in this draft is worth trading up for? Honestly, I can't really name a single player. Even in bad drafts, that's rare.

The combine is still going on, but we've basically seen the offensive players all go and it's looking like one of the least athletic drafts for offense in recent memory. TE, QB, WR, RB, and OL were all below average in tests that measured movement skills. Based on what I've seen of this year's over-hyped DL class, I don't think defense is going to be much better.

This is going to be a really tough draft for Seattle as they rely so heavily on Sparq-rating.

I think there is a path Seattle can weave to give them hope for a good draft haul. End of the first round will probably have solid value at OL this year. 2nd and 3rd round look good for both OL and DL. Not great, but good. There's also some round 3-4 RBs who look pretty interesting. I'm not really sure where Seattle is going to find that fast LB to replace Irvin though (Leonard Floyd feels kinda Seahawky, I guess we'll see how he tests).

Anyway, I think it's years like these where JS earns his paycheck. It's also a year where trading picks for veterans makes more sense than usual, so don't be shocked if Seattle is on on some trades. Anyway, if Seattle can pull two good players out of this draft they'll come out of it looking like geniuses.

IMHO. :twocents:

kobebryant

Reaction score
Not much for top end talent, but I think there is decent depth.

On the oline I think you can get day one starters in the 3rd and beyond - guys like Glasgow,Dahl,Tuerk,Allen, Westerman. It was only a couple years back where late in the 2nd you were hoping for someone as underwhelming as Morgan Moses and ended up with Justin Britt.

No special d tackles, but I think there are a lot of starting caliber guys.

Some decent run and chase olbs/s.

At 26 if I'm looking for guys who could potentially be elite, I might be rolling the dice on Shon Coleman, Will Fuller, Corey Coleman, Kyler Frackrell, Keanu Neal (not necessarily needs, but I guess I would be happy spending a 26 on).

getnasty

Reaction score
I agree, hopefully they can turn a few of this year's pick into next year picks.

Ozzy

Reaction score
kobebryant":17p1b1vf said:
Not much for top end talent, but I think there is decent depth.

On the oline I think you can get day one starters in the 3rd and beyond - guys like Glasgow,Dahl,Tuerk,Allen, Westerman. It was only a couple years back where late in the 2nd you were hoping for someone as underwhelming as Morgan Moses and ended up with Justin Britt.

No special d tackles, but I think there are a lot of starting caliber guys.

Some decent run and chase olbs/s.

At 26 if I'm looking for guys who could potentially be elite, I might be rolling the dice on Shon Coleman, Will Fuller, Corey Coleman, Kyler Frackrell, Keanu Neal (not necessarily needs, but I guess I would be happy spending a 26 on).
This is how I view it as well. Special guy in the first and then fix the line in the 2nd on.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If you follow the college game closely you'd notice the quality of play across the board was pretty subpar.. The tea leaves have been shaping up for this to be a real paltry draft at many positions.

Would it surprise anyone if Seattle traded their 1st rounder again for a veteran player on the OL or DL?

firebee

Reaction score
I've been hounding on it for a little over a month now... Trade down from #26 to the range of 35-40 to pick up extra picks, even if we have to trade down a couple times. eg. trade from 26 to 30 to pick up an extra 4th and then trade from 30 to 36 to pick up another 4th or something along those lines. Looking at this draft, I think trading down and loading up on 2nd day picks is where we get our best value. We're going to have a lot of holes to fill due to FA losses, so getting the extra picks in this draft seems a little more important than landing the best choice left on the board for us at #26, especially considering their's a good chance that player may slide to us at the spot we trade down to. Not only that, a pick or two later in the draft give us the flexibility to trade up and down in the 2nd and 3rd round to get a guy we really want.

As for Cable dozing off... Doesn't surprise me.. These guys have probably been watching film on players far far more than any of us have and they're most likely about 90% set on who they like and where they fit in. The combine is only going to help or knock those players you have reservations on in regards to how they measure up due to the competition they faced or because you have them neck in neck with another guy you like and the measurables are the only thing that make the difference.

penihawk

Reaction score
firebee":sw19h48n said:
I've been hounding on it for a little over a month now... Trade down from #26 to the range of 35-40 to pick up extra picks, even if we have to trade down a couple times. eg. trade from 26 to 30 to pick up an extra 4th and then trade from 30 to 36 to pick up another 4th or something along those lines. Looking at this draft, I think trading down and loading up on 2nd day picks is where we get our best value. We're going to have a lot of holes to fill due to FA losses, so getting the extra picks in this draft seems a little more important than landing the best choice left on the board for us at #26, especially considering their's a good chance that player may slide to us at the spot we trade down to. Not only that, a pick or two later in the draft give us the flexibility to trade up and down in the 2nd and 3rd round to get a guy we really want.

As for Cable dozing off... Doesn't surprise me.. These guys have probably been watching film on players far far more than any of us have and they're most likely about 90% set on who they like and where they fit in. The combine is only going to help or knock those players you have reservations on in regards to how they measure up due to the competition they faced or because you have them neck in neck with another guy you like and the measurables are the only thing that make the difference.

I think its gonna be really hard to trade back and get decent compensation in a draft where there might not be much difference in draft grades from 20 to 150. I like the idea of it but not sure it will happen this year without everyone screaming we got screwed on compensation. I think it's gonna depend on how FA goes on how active we get on adding more picks.

As far as the combine I think the medical and the interviews are more important to coaching staffs. The on-field stuff is as much for us fans than useful evaluation tools when they have pro days and individual workouts later. I enjoy watching it tho and listening to the analysis of the nfl guys.

Erebus

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1w4vo15m said:
Would it surprise anyone if Seattle traded their 1st rounder again for a veteran player on the OL or DL?

Yes, but only because players that would fetch a 1st round pick already come with a high salary. And if not, they probably come with some baggage we don't want, otherwise they wouldn't be available. If they are going to spend that kind of money, they might as well get Osemele or Jaye Howard without giving up a draft pick.