Cody Whitehair (T, KSU) feels "Seahawky" to me

kearly

Reaction score
[youtube]pppkPuXCuRM[/youtube]

Ever get that "spidey sense" that a player is going to end up a Seahawk? Doesn't even matter if you like them or not, deep down, part of you just knows. Some players I felt that way about in the past: Bobby Wagner, Robert Turbin, Jeremy Lane, Ty Powell, Tyler Lockett. In the case of Wagner, I thought his Utah State tape was the most boring I'd ever watched, but something I couldn't explain told me that Wagner was going to score major points with Pete.

Obviously, this isn't a scientific process. But given that Whitehair is considered to be a picks 30-60 range prospect, he fits with Seattle's insistence on 'reaching' in round 1. Just look at him physically- he has that same square shouldered build that we saw with Breno and Sweezy. He almost looks like Jason Witten lining up to play LT.

I'm not saying his tape is hype worthy, but he seems competent in all areas and just feels like he's a few tweaks away from being an ass-kicker in the run game. He has the build of a prototypical RT but could just as easily fit at guard.

Looking at his combine numbers yesterday, he did very well. His broad jump was tied for 6th, his forty time was tied for 6th. His 3-cone was 3rd (just 0.01 seconds away from first), His 20 yard shuttle was 8th. This was out of 53 OL participants. His movement skills are some of the best in the draft.

The problem is, he has short arms and a low bench press number. His bench (16 reps) ranked 2nd worst among those that attempted it, and his arm length (32 3/8") is below average, especially for a guy that played left tackle.

That said, Tom Cable has a history of drafting OL with excellent movement skills and sup-par bench totals. Arm length has also been negotiable, particularly with veterans. Whitehair's arms are slightly longer than Robert Gallery, Breno Giacomini, and Eric Winston.

There are several OL I'd rather have in round 1, but when searching for that 'off the radar' guy that Cable is going to like, Whitehair stands out.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seems your not the only one Kip, although saying that based on this quote means it won't happen :)

“If a player like Cody Whitehair is still available at this point, you could see the Seahawks looking to address an immediate need on the offensive line. If not, Nkemdiche is more than a consolation prize if he can stay focused and put major off-field questions to rest. He’s a top-10 talent but could see his stock slip if teams don’t trust him, especially in a draft that is loaded with future impact starters on the defensive line.”

Mel Kiper.

penihawk

Reaction score
I would hope that if we are gonna go with an interior OL guy early it would be Ryan Kelly. He tested just as well or better and was smooth as silk in all the drills. He also has the ability to play any of the 3 interior spots. Whitehair's bench or lack there of is a concern for me but not a dealbreaker if we got him in round 2 or 3.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
penihawk":1520qtp9 said:
I would hope that if we are gonna go with an interior OL guy early it would be Ryan Kelly. He tested just as well or better and was smooth as silk in all the drills. He also has the ability to play any of the 3 interior spots. Whitehair's bench or lack there of is a concern for me but not a dealbreaker if we got him in round 2 or 3.

I like Kelly as well. The center position is one of the few areas of strength this year. There's some really nice options in rounds 2-3.

At #26, I'm rooting for Shon Coleman and Jack Conklin. But I don't know if either one of them are "Cable guys." It seems like Cable is less concerned with value and more concerned with getting his man. Passing on Joel Bitonio in 2014 was a fairly emphatic statement to that effect.

I get "Cable Guy" vibes from Cody Whitehair. Whitehair won't likely make it to Seattle's 2nd pick. Therefore I think he's a guy to keep a close eye on at #26, especially if Seattle trades down. He's not great value at #26 but Cable's picks are never great value.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I don't believe that the number of bench press reps that a player puts up is all that significant; it tests muscle endurance more than strength/power. Whitehair's 3-5 rep max would be more significant.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
kobebryant":2gc4g5ub said:
I don't believe that the number of bench press reps that a player puts up is all that significant; it tests muscle endurance more than strength/power. Whitehair's 3-5 rep max would be more significant.

I agree, it's an imperfect method. Even if it wasn't flawed, it would still paint an incomplete picture. Bench doesn't measure lower body strength or core strength. Compared to those, arm strength is a drop in the bucket.

kobebryant

Reaction score
kearly":l8717e35 said:
kobebryant":l8717e35 said:

I agree, it's an imperfect method. Even if it wasn't flawed, it would still paint an incomplete picture. Bench doesn't measure lower body strength or core strength. Compared to those, arm strength is a drop in the bucket.

Totally, though I get it.

You can't have 300lb alpha males one-upping eachother's max on the bench press with millions on the line. Torn pecs and labrums everywhere.

Seated medicine ball throws and cleans would make a lot of sense. Though I'm sure scouts get a much better picture from the college weightroom staff than they do from the combine.

penihawk

Reaction score
I like Westerman/ASU as much as Whitehair after watching them together in shorts run and do drills. Westerman is way stronger in the upperbody and could come a round later than Whitehair which I like the idea of. The bench may not tell all but in the NFL you better have some power in your initial punch or the good DT's will eat your lunch all day long. Whitehair for me would have to come at the right pick and I think there is more upside at 26 than him.

pcbball12

Reaction score
penihawk":2uewg5wt said:
I like Westerman/ASU as much as Whitehair after watching them together in shorts run and do drills. Westerman is way stronger in the upperbody and could come a round later than Whitehair which I like the idea of. The bench may not tell all but in the NFL you better have some power in your initial punch or the good DT's will eat your lunch all day long. Whitehair for me would have to come at the right pick and I think there is more upside at 26 than him.
Westerman has great upper body strength and initial punch, but he lacks leg drive. Never really sustains blocks. Gets on his heels far too much in pass pro as well. Whitehair is a much better player. But I would be OK with Westerman at the right price.

Ozzy

Reaction score
16 reps at 225 is pretty bad for someone his size and playing line in the NFL. Even if his endurance is terrible it's obvious he just isn't very strong in the upper body. Doesn't mean he can't be a great product obviously but scouts do care.

Great thoughts from everyone in here. Good stuff

CPHawk

Reaction score
pcbball12":19mqfs3g said:
penihawk":19mqfs3g said:
Westerman has great upper body strength and initial punch, but he lacks leg drive. Never really sustains blocks. Gets on his heels far too much in pass pro as well. Whitehair is a much better player. But I would be OK with Westerman at the right price.

I'm sick of getting OL "at the right price." That's what got us in this position to begin with. Time to go all in on OL, with a solid OL we win another SB.

titan3131

Reaction score
yes but no,

We need to bolster our DLINE just as much as the OLINE.

There is depth on both sides so realistically we could go DL OL OL DL ideally...

ivotuk

Reaction score
CPHawk":1v43804h said:
pcbball12":1v43804h said:
penihawk":1v43804h said:

I'm sick of getting OL "at the right price." That's what got us in this position to begin with. Time to go all in on OL, with a solid OL we win another SB.

That's what we have been doing and it has been wasted pick after wasted pick. Carpenter in the first, Britt in the second, Moffitt in the 3rd. All "Cable's" guys and I think he's let it go to his head that he can pick anyone, anywhere, and make it work. Which is why he has produced some of the worst offensive lines in the NFL that keep getting RUssell pounded in the backfield.

We need to go pass rushing, or run stopping DT at 26. There are 3 good running backs, in the division, and some great passers outside of it.