Indiana RB Jordan Howard

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
With Marshawn Lynch hanging it up, it would seem there is an obvious need for a punishing, physical back to compliment Thomas Rawls. While much of the conversation this offseason has been focused on guys like Alex Collins, I'd like to submit another name for consideration -- one that I haven't heard much ... and one from what I can project should be there in the 3rd Round or even early 4th Round -- Indiana's Jordan Howard.

He has good on field speed, runs with tremendous power, punishing would be tacklers, and consistently gaining yards after contact. Like Beast Mode, he drives through walls and there is absolutely no quit in this guy. In particular, he generated some very impressive tape against Michigan. He suffered a knee injury, so missed the last couple of games including the Pinstripe Bowl. That's why he might still be there in the 3rd or even 4th rounds. If the medicals check out, I'd say this is a player Seattle would be very much interested in. Prior to his injury, there were reports that he had run a 4.39 in the 40 before. If there is any way to make it happen without breaking the draft capital bank, I'd love to see this dude in donning the teal and blue. He just screams Seattle Seahawk to me ...

[youtube]lGuMGTSIPdo[/youtube]

pehawk

Reaction score
230lb's with a 4.39? Man, of course you take that in round 3 or 4. Nice find.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
titan3131":1vep8svy said:
I don't see that kind of speed.

Neither do I. That was according to one report though. What I see on field is probably more in that 4.5 to 4.6 range --- which is just fine. His speed isn't the key element on why I believe the hawks would be interested in though ... it's the power. I mean, look at the physicality and the way he both runs through guys and carries the pile with him. Beast Mode like for sure.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I like him as a guy that will be available mid rounds and has potential to be a steal. I prefer that sort of pick at RB right now over a Henry that needs a 2nd at a minimum to snag.

pcbball12

Reaction score
He is definitely a hard nosed, downhill type of runner. I have only watched 2 games on him, but in those games his vision was really inconsistent to put it nicely. He seemed to run straight into the line, no waiting for creases to open and leaving a lot of cut back opportunities on the field. He gets a ton of tough yards, but also leaves a ton of yardage on the field by having no real creativity and bad vision. His feet aren't very good laterally, and is really just a no nonsense north/south type of guy. Straight line speed looks decent and a decent 40 would not surprise me, but I have a feeling his shuttle and 3 cone will be on the slower side.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
To be fair regardless of predraft comments ect there is always some who do better in the pros that were not supposed to and others who were high hyped that failed.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
hburn21":3mzijnmt said:
""I just started watching him today and I know why you like him, but he's what I call a 'sack of potatoes' back. He's going to keep getting dropped like a sack of potatoes in this league with that running style." -- NFC running backs coach "
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555418
not a great endorsement for him.

Two things I would say in response to that:

1) We're talking about a guy who's projected to be a 3rd round (possibly 4th round) pick -- not a 1st rounder. Of course there are some flaws ... we'll see how correctable they are. We're talking about a role player here -- someone to compliment Rawls and share time with him -- not a feature back necessarily.

2) How many guys just on the Seahawks roster have flaws and were told they'd never amount to anything? Russell Wilson was too short. Richard Sherman and Doug Baldwin were told by Harbaugh when he was their coach as Stanford that they couldn't play in this league. This roster and the NFL is littered with guys who for one reason or another were told their flaws would prevent them from ever being any good. (Exactly what IndyHawk just pointed out as well)

With Lynch retiring, the Seahawks appear to be in need of a punishing, physical back to pair with Rawls and share the load with him. I don't think Rawls is going to carry the load most of the time like Lynch -- IMO they're going to platoon him with someone else. In terms of backs out there in the draft who fit that profile ... Alex Collins at Arkansas is an obvious name. I'm just floating Howard's name out there as another who also seems to fit that bill.

chris98251

Reaction score
You don't coach instincts and vision, you coach things like blocking, how to carry the ball, setting up your blocks and reading a defense.

Rawls and Lynch have that natural feel and can laterally move and shift and change direction and keep their momentum going in traffic. Agree about the speed though you need quick burst in 5 to ten yards, the 40 rarely happens for a RB if you don't have the former anyway.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
chris98251":1d8jqu6v said:
You don't coach instincts and vision, you coach things like blocking, how to carry the ball, setting up your blocks and reading a defense.

Rawls and Lynch have that natural feel and can laterally move and shift and change direction and keep their momentum going in traffic. Agree about the speed though you need quick burst in 5 to ten yards, the 40 rarely happens for a RB if you don't have the former anyway.

Right. And whether or not those things will turn out to be a serious impediment, only time will tell. Regarding vision and instincts, we have a perfect example right here in Seattle in Marshawn Lynch. I can recall several times (and most of you can as well) in which Beast Mode would just plow headlong in to the pile ... and I would be saying to myself, "If you had just cut back to the right, the seas had parted for you. You gained 2 yards where you could have gained 10." Enter Thomas Rawls who showed himself to have excellent natural recognition skills -- many times he just seemed to know where the hole was going to be. I see in Howard some of the same traits that Marshawn Lynch had -- a bruising back who is willing to stick his helmet in to the teeth of the defense and wear them down little by little. And while it may drive people nuts at times, there is value in that.

I dunno -- he just strikes me as a guy who gives Seattle back a bit of what they had in Marshawn Lynch at a less than premium price.

kearly

Reaction score
4.39? Nah.

I'd compare him to a poor man's Carlos Hyde. Nice value in the mid-rounds. I could see Seattle having interest, but I think his best fit would be a place like Dallas.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2p9cyjkh said:
chris98251":2p9cyjkh said:

Right. And whether or not those things will turn out to be a serious impediment, only time will tell. Regarding vision and instincts, we have a perfect example right here in Seattle in Marshawn Lynch. I can recall several times (and most of you can as well) in which Beast Mode would just plow headlong in to the pile ... and I would be saying to myself, "If you had just cut back to the right, the seas had parted for you. You gained 2 yards where you could have gained 10." Enter Thomas Rawls who showed himself to have excellent natural recognition skills -- many times he just seemed to know where the hole was going to be. I see in Howard some of the same traits that Marshawn Lynch had -- a bruising back who is willing to stick his helmet in to the teeth of the defense and wear them down little by little. And while it may drive people nuts at times, there is value in that.

I dunno -- he just strikes me as a guy who gives Seattle back a bit of what they had in Marshawn Lynch at a less than premium price.

Well sitting high up in the stands and in your chair it is easier to see a bigger picture, having 11 guys trying to knock your dick in the dirt up close and personal and in your face it becomes harder to see every gap on every play at a given moment. Lynch had trouble at first being patient and letting gaps develop, Cable had to work with him a bit on that, we don't run a straight forward blocking scheme, it's zone and the back has to feel and read where things are at. It's not like Shaun going Hutch left or Jones left and Gray right.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":wwcagxt4 said:
hburn21":wwcagxt4 said:
""I just started watching him today and I know why you like him, but he's what I call a 'sack of potatoes' back. He's going to keep getting dropped like a sack of potatoes in this league with that running style." -- NFC running backs coach "
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555418
not a great endorsement for him.

Two things I would say in response to that:

1) We're talking about a guy who's projected to be a 3rd round (possibly 4th round) pick -- not a 1st rounder. Of course there are some flaws ... we'll see how correctable they are. We're talking about a role player here -- someone to compliment Rawls and share time with him -- not a feature back necessarily.

2) How many guys just on the Seahawks roster have flaws and were told they'd never amount to anything? Russell Wilson was too short. Richard Sherman and Doug Baldwin were told by Harbaugh when he was their coach as Stanford that they couldn't play in this league. This roster and the NFL is littered with guys who for one reason or another were told their flaws would prevent them from ever being any good. (Exactly what IndyHawk just pointed out as well)

With Lynch retiring, the Seahawks appear to be in need of a punishing, physical back to pair with Rawls and share the load with him. I don't think Rawls is going to carry the load most of the time like Lynch -- IMO they're going to platoon him with someone else. In terms of backs out there in the draft who fit that profile ... Alex Collins at Arkansas is an obvious name. I'm just floating Howard's name out there as another who also seems to fit that bill.

So both of your responses basically seek to ignore the content of his actual complaint..?

Hawks46

Reaction score
What is it with college RB's? Is it just his year, or what?

I've seen Collins and now this guy just refuse to use their hands to keep guys off of them. A couple of stiff arms and they both would've had multiple TD's.