Oline playing better - still high priority?

rain7

Reaction score
With the o-line playing much better this past few weeks and with the exception of Okung, all of them being younger guys - do we try to keep consistency or is there a general consensus that we need to upgrade at specific positions?

I don't watch the line like some folks here, but feels like we'd be drafting depth at this point assuming we keep Okung and Sweezy - is that what most think, or do we need to make a change at one of the spots?

CPHawk

Reaction score
Take a corner in the first round. Of course I've been beating that drumb all season.

sutz

Reaction score
meh. best available athlete. where we will be drafting, slim chance of a top flight OL being available.

Sure, get some OL somewhere in the draft, they usually do, but I don't get all bent out of shape if it's not in rd 1-2.

:229031_shrug:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
We will know by early March.

If Okung is retained, I still think we take an OT in the first 64 overall. The talent and depth there is pretty good.

Bailey is a UFA I believe after this year. Team is short on OT depth to begin with. So I still see OL -- in particular OT -- as a high priority regardless.

If Okung leaves, I think we're going to be aggressive in getting an OT candidate who is closer to being day 1 ready. If we lose Okung and Bailey, I think we double dip at OT. Not a lot of UFA options at OT on the docket.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Yes yes yes yes yes absolutely yes. They've been playing better, but they're still not great. Not to mention we're an injury away from the whole situation being a complete disaster once again.

Rob12

Reaction score
CPHawk":aljyou5b said:
Take a corner in the first round. Of course I've been beating that drumb all season.

I wouldn't mind that at all, and I think it could easily be argued that it's a bigger need than the OL at this point. In many ways, I feel like Shead is saving our season.

But the OL still needs to be addressed. I have loved what I've seen from Britt over the past few weeks. I think he's becoming acclimated to his new position. Patrick Lewis is playing very well. I think we'll let Sweezy walk if we can't get him on an extremely team friendly deal, and Glowinski might not be a drop off at all. Gilliam has played well in spurts, but overall, the line is still underwhelming and talent needs to get infused into the position. If for nothing else, competition.

CB, OL, OLB. That's the areas I think PC/JS will target. I wouldn't mind a replacement for Kearse, either. I like him and always have, but I think the team might need to move on, likely because someone will pay him more.