JSeahawks

Reaction score
Orange Bowl (Playoff game): #1 Clemson vs #4 Michigan State
Cotton Bowl (Playoff game): #2 Alabama vs #3 Oklahoma

Sugar Bowl (Big 12 vs SEC): Ole Miss vs Baylor
Rose Bowl (Pac12 vs Big 10): Stanford vs Ohio State
Peach Bowl (at large bids): Florida State vs Houston
Fiesta Bowl (at large bids): Notre Dame vs Oregon

I know, i'll be called a homer for sticking Oregon in there, but that last spot likely comes down to Oregon, TCU and Iowa. The committee is supposed to factor in injuries, and the Ducks are undefeated with a healthy Vernon Adams. I also think the Ducks have an advantage over those two schools as the big 12 and big 10 already have 2 schools each in the new years bowls, and the pac 12 has the highest percentage of members (10 out of 12) bowl eligible, which I think they should get credit for so I think theyre more likely to put in a 2nd pac 12 team rather then a 3rd team from a different conference.

If Clemson loses then I put North CArolina into the final 4. Clemson to the Peach Bowl, and Florida STate out.

If Alabama loses then Stanford moves into the final 4, Oregon moves to the Rose Bowl, Florida to the Sugar Bowl, Alabama to the Fiesta Bowl. Ole Miss out.

If USC wins they go to the Rose Bowl and Stanford is out.

If Iowa beats Michigan State then Iowa is in the final 4, and Michigan State is out.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Dunno J, that fiasco against the Beavs yesterday might cost your team. Still and all they did get a W. Do think a match up between them and ND would be a good one.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3jlhpkpf said:
Dunno J, that fiasco against the Beavs yesterday might cost your team. Still and all they did get a W. Do think a match up between them and ND would be a good one.

Its possible, but I look at it a few ways, first of all, its a rivalry game (at least on paper... i actually think the Ducks main rivals are Stanford and UW), and anything can happen in rivalry games. 2nd, i think the Ducks are pretty appealing to TV audiences and bring good ratings and visually appealing games. They bring a lot of offense and big plays (from themselves and whoever the opponent is) which is what most college football fans want to see. I definitely dont think its a lock the Ducks will get the spot, but they have as good of a chance as anybody. If its not the Ducks I think it will probably be TCU, and Iowa will get shut out.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I don't claim to be an expert on bowl selections, and the process always has a bit of an old boys' club feel to it, but if Iowa got shut out it would be a crime, especially if UO gets in over them.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
jkitsune":30h3wv5i said:
I don't claim to be an expert on bowl selections, and the process always has a bit of an old boys' club feel to it, but if Iowa got shut out it would be a crime, especially if UO gets in over them.

If they can stay close to michigan state i might agree with you. But i think they're going to get blown off the field. I personally dont think they're even a top 25 team. I know you can only play your schedule, butthey didnt even play any of the good teams in their conference. I think WAshington would wax Iowa.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'll break it down with the conference title game picks first

AAC - Houston over Temple
ACC - North Carolina over Clemson
Big 10 - Michigan State over Iowa
Pac 12 - Stanford over USC
SEC - Alabama over Florida

My projected playoff
1 - Alabama
2 - Michigan State
3 - Oklahoma
4 - Ohio State

Yep.. I'm projecting CHAOS! I think we are overdue for #Clemsoning .. and North Carolina is dangerous enough to give the playoff committee their worst nightmare (or their happy, happy ending.. more on that later). It's all shaping up almost too perfectly for them, there needs to be something to throw everything off.. and it sure as hell won't happen with Florida beating Alabama.. not unless they are able to get a bonus game of eligibility for Tim Tebow.

That would leave your New Years Six games looking like so...

Playoff Semifinal #1 -- Oklahoma vs. Michigan State (Jerryworld, TX)
Playoff Semifinal #2 -- Alabama vs. Ohio State (Miami, FL)

Rose -- Iowa vs. Stanford (they get to keep tradition in tact)
Fiesta -- Houston vs. Clemson
Sugar -- Baylor vs. Ole Miss
Peach -- North Carolina vs. Notre Dame

Unlike J .. I see no real way UNC gets in the playoff even with a win over Clemson. They have one awful, awful loss on their resume at the hands of South Carolina .. and two of their wins came against FCS schools. The New Years 6 is their best bet IMO.

Now if UNC does win, I have Ohio State getting into the playoff .. because I think the committee is going to look at their lone loss to Michigan State - a team that would have wins over Oregon, Ohio State, Michigan and Iowa in this scenario.. and favor that more than a 2 loss Stanford.. especially considering one of Stanford's losses came to Northwestern, a team that lost 38-0 to Michigan.. the same Michigan that Ohio State just dismembered.

Not to mention.. they are Ohio State .. you don't think the powers that be would LOVE to see Bama/tOSU in a playoff game rematch? $$$$$$.

The committee is all in on the Heels, it would give them the four-team playoff they covet.

Oh and Oregon has no chance at a NY6 game.. Duck homer. :D

In the event Clemson holds serve and Michigan State beats Iowa.. I'd slot it ..

1 - Clemson
2 - Bama
3 - Michigan State
4 - Oklahoma

(I think here, the committee gets two strong matchups .. and would slot the Spartans above OU based on quality of wins and quality of TV's turned on to see Saban vs. D'antonio)

In the event Clemson holds serve and Iowa beats Michigan State .. I'd slot it

1 - Clemson
2 - Bama
3 - Oklahoma
4 - Iowa

(I think the committee favors a Bama/OU semi matchup here and will slot accordingly)

Latest posts