DeForest Buckner

CPHawk

Reaction score
I didn't want to believe we would have a shot at him, but given the recent turn of events, I say he's my biggest want in this draft. Here is PFF ranking of him after the Stanford game.

On Saturday night, Oregon senior defensive lineman DeForest Buckner matched up against Stanford's offensive lineman Joshua Garnett for a battle NFL scouts were excited to see.
Pro Football Focus graded the matchup and came away with very positive remarks for Oregon's Buckner.
"Buckner emerges having only enhanced his credentials and extended his lead atop the interior defender rankings while Garnett has slipped off the top spot in the guard list thanks to their matchup," writes Sam Monson of PFF.com. "He was the clear winner when the two went head-to-head early every time. Coming into this game, Garnett has surrendered just two sacks, two hits and three hurries for a total of seven pressures on the season. Buckner beat him for a sack and three hits alone, and demolished him on a bull rush for two of them."
Against Stanford last Saturday, Buckner finished with 10 tackles, one tackle for loss, half a sack, and a quarterback hurry.
Monson and PFF.com note Buckner has now surpassed Stanford's Henry Anderson's highest graded interior defender in the nation from last season, and Buckner has done it in just 11 games this season.
"Buckner is a man amongst boys in almost all of the games he plays in, and as we saw this past Saturday, he’s just far too physically strong and talented for most college blockers to stand a chance," said Monson."
On the season, Buckner is third on the team in tackles wth 61. He leads the Ducks in tackles for loss (13) and sacks (7.5) while also adding five quarterback hurries, five passes defended, and five breakups.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
As of a few weeks ago pff had him rated as the best player in the nation regardless of position. I'd love him to be a seahawk but think we have bigger needs.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's a top 10 pick when all is said and done. He's everything arik armstead was supposed to be.

drrew

Reaction score
Armstead would have been an amazing LT...I know he refused to go anywhere that wouldn't play DL, but it's a shame, he woudl have been great.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2xskwdoq said:
As of a few weeks ago pff had him rated as the best player in the nation regardless of position. I'd love him to be a seahawk but think we have bigger needs.

I hope that we don't draft that way this year. Drafting exclusively to fill bigger needs is how you pass on much better players.

I'd point to St Louis' 2014 first round. Holding two picks, they used their first pick for bigger need (Greg Robinson) -- passing on better players at lesser need (Watkins, Evans, Beckham Jr). Obviously a huge miss.

Then with their second pick, they selected Aaron Donald. Not a need pick at all -- in fact easily their least valuable need on the entire team having already 3 first round picks on the D line.

Yet very clearly the best pick they made was the 'luxury' pick of least need.

Quite honestly, I'd rather we don't settle on a serviceable talent at a position of need, if it means passing on a transcendant talent anywhere else. If I'm looking at taking the next Joel Bitonio or the next Richard Sherman -- I'd take Sherman every day of the week despite having Thomas/Sherman/Chancellor already on the roster.

If Buckner falls to us by providence, I'd hope we take him. Because needs change pretty dynamically. It's not like we're a top pass rushing team in this league. So we have room to improve there.

drrew

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2bo2pwia said:
that way this year. Drafting exclusively to fill bigger needs is how you pass on much better players.

I'd point to St Louis' 2014 first round. Holding two picks, they used their first pick for bigger need (Greg Robinson) -- passing on better players at lesser need (Watkins, Evans, Beckham Jr). Obviously a huge miss.

While I agree with you in principle, this is a horrible example. Greg Robinson was a consensus top 3 pick (Mayock, SI, CBS, Scouts Inc.) in that draft. Everyone just missed on him as a prospect, it happens.