Derrick Henry

HawkGA

Reaction score
Alabama running backs haven't particularly lit it up in the pros (thank Trent Richardson!), but I really like the way Derrick Henry runs. And while I think the Seahawks should focus exclusively on drafting offensive linemen next year and I like Rawls, I think Henry could make a good Beast in waiting. Anybody know how high he's projected to go?

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkGA":3tyilflb said:
Alabama running backs haven't particularly lit it up in the pros (thank Trent Richardson!), but I really like the way Derrick Henry runs. And while I think the Seahawks should focus exclusively on drafting offensive linemen next year and I like Rawls, I think Henry could make a good Beast in waiting. Anybody know how high he's projected to go?

I would guess late second, early third.

My comparison is Red Zone version of Shaun Alexander. Henry doesn't run as big as his size, but his vision is phenomenal. He sets up tacklers better than any back in the last 10 years.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
'Gruff you have indicated you think he might be the best RB in this year's class, do you see him being effective in zone read running scheme?

I thought he displayed good power against LSU, but seems to be more of an open field RB. Any thoughts?

xgeoff

Reaction score
I would so love for us to get this guy! Although I feel good about Thomas Rawls, but I think Henry could be a very special player. I want us to get this guy, then load up on Offensive Line Talent!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He's a nice looking player at the college level, but I'm worried about how that'd translate in the pros.. especially in this system. Bama RB's aren't exactly setting the league on fire of late.

I'd personally prefer to wait until 2017 to draft a RB (the class will be LOADED) .. either have Lynch + Rawls for one more year or Rawls + stop gap for a season before drafting someone.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I see him as a more skilled Latavius Murray. Not as fast, straight line at least, but a much more physical downhill runner with better vision and tackle-breaking ability. He has the similar size and explosiveness of Murray, while running the way you just wish Murray would run, if Murray could break tackles consistently. If you can get him, then you get him. He's not the slam dunk that Todd Gurley was a year ago, but his ceiling is off the charts. At times, his style of running is as close to Jim Brown as I have seen. I would definitely give him consideration at the tail end of the First Round. He is arguably more valuable to the Seahawks, because of our run emphasis and zone blocking scheme, than to any other team.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Henry is an enigma. Admittedly, I have gone from very skeptical to thinking he is hugely underrated. He's a powerful guy with an unreal feel for the position. His burst is extremely underrated because he is so tall, that it visually tricks you into thinking he is sluggish. He's also able to go the distance.

If SEA is picking late R1; I don't think we see a good OL in our range. I'd absolutely love Derrick Henry. He doesn't look "right" at RB, but he might be the best pure runner that Alabama has produced since Saban has been there.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Henry looks like every other Alabama RB, he gets 5 yards without even being hit. Maybe he is as good as people believe, but I see a ceiling of LaGarrett Blount tops.

cover-2

Reaction score
Henry is soft like Shaun Alexander, for as big as Henry is he goes down way too easy. Yeah he does run over some guys just do to his sheer size, but his legs go dead on contact very little second effort to get more yard. He is content to just run out of bounds instead of putting his shoulder down to run over defensive player to gain a few more yards. Henry style of play doesn't fit the Seahawks physical style mentality.