WR Tre McBride, William and Mary

McGruff

Reaction score
There's not a lot of film out there on this guy, but he's getting a bit of hype at the moment, especially from some of the guys at Field Gulls and Seahawksdraftblog . . . so I thought I'd dig a little deeper.

Initially I had him pegged as a slot guy. That may be too narrow. He's got some really good traits. He's a great route runner and excels att finding little holes and creases in the defense and settling in to them. He's got sticky hands (for the most part . . . see below) and extends away from the body to catch the ball. As a blocker, e might not be good, but he's feisty. He does have experience returning kicks, and shows some good moves there, but mostly sticks to mving north-south and getting what he can . . . IMO that is a good trait in a return man.

The main weaknesses I see is that he doesn't create a lot of separation. The field speed isn't there, and that is against sub-par competition. I simply don't know if he'll ever be open in space in the pros. For all his ability on kick returns, he doesn't show a little of RAC ability on offense. The last concern is that while he doesn't drop the ball often, they tend to come of bunches. Is it a mental toughness thing? Does he press too much in pressure situations?

He has the ability to play all three roles, but he's a move the chains type receiver. He's not a play creator. Seattle typically looks for guys who can make their own hay, so to speak, and McBride doesn't look like that kind of player.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of McBride. Has been high on my radar since before the combine.

Here's some decent footage against West Virginia:

[youtube]b9je8WmYr8Y[/youtube]

Few things that stand out to me:

1. Footwork. McBride has outstanding feet. Explodes out of his stance and gets to speed extremely quickly. That should translate well to the next level. No false step or hop at the snap. Just BOOM. He's off.

At the break, and on double moves, his footwork is absolutely marvelous. Very quick. Very smooth. Like a dancer's feet. Sticks them in the ground and bursts.

2. Attacks the ball. I love his ball skills. I am probably in the minority -- but I tend to think that catching the ball is really an innate skill. Just like reading blocks and having that running back intuition. Catching the ball is not something that is generally acquirable. You either can catch or can't. McBride has 'it' in terms of catching the ball. Plucks the ball cleanly out of the air. Attacks and works his way back to the ball intuitively. Attacks and wins contested balls. Already on ball skills alone he's a valuable possession receiver.

3. Speed. I think McBride has very deceptive speed. He eats zone cushions extremely quickly with his quick release. But he also shows very excellent long speed. In the footage above, the route at the 0:40 mark is a prime example. He dissolves the 8 yard cushion in 3 steps. It's important to recognize, this is double coverage with safety help over the top. This route that he executes is not merely perfectly defended, but they are committing extra help to prevent this reception. He quickly pops to the side via his footwork and blows right by the under coverage without losing speed. Then explodes up the sideline and beats the deep safety to the corner.

4. Build

McBride is a well put together athlete. Has very good balance, which is enhanced by well developed lower body. Doesn't play top heavy -- stays over his feet exceptionally well. Generates a lot of power suddenly from a dead stop. Little wasted energy on his initial move pushing his center of mass upwards. Helps to keep momentum through cuts. Excellent footwork also maximizes his breaking ability. I see a prospect that is at times raw in route running, but I also see a prospect who has all the natural tools to be a crazy awesome route runner. I fully expect he'll be a much better pro than he was at college.

Honestly, I think he'll do superbly at the next level getting separation. Where he typically concedes separation is after the break. Plenty of instances of just errant/underthrown balls that force him to concede advantage. But during the routes, I do occasionally see a tendency for him to sort of 'lay up' and glide on his routes after having beaten his man. Even on that very same route I highlighted above, you see this aspect right after he beats the under coverage. At about the 22 yd line, he turns to the QB and doesn't maintain speed upfield. This is very likely the difference between making an impressive catch at the 1 yard line, and a clean TD up the red line. I expect this is something he could easily clean up. Particularly with the accelerated speed at the next level.

He has the natural footwork and quickness to get separation. Demonstrates inconsistent speed through the route which he needs to work on. Has flashed the ability to get and maintain/extend separation when he runs his routes at full speed.

Here's also a Matt Waldman in depth workup on McBride. It's over an hour long and I've not seen it yet. Has more footage and goes in depth. I'll watch it sometime later.

[youtube]ZKV7ANCzuhg[/youtube]

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm liking what I am seeing in those clips and nice breakdown on the guy Attyla. He looks like he has a strong midsection and legs that could break some tackles. Geez those WV DB's are terrible however.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Largent80":3vnq842w said:
I'm liking what I am seeing in those clips and nice breakdown on the guy Attyla. He looks like he has a strong midsection and legs that could break some tackles. Geez those WV DB's are terrible however.

He's definitely got the physical build of a #1. His routes are superb. His hands are magnetic. The one thing I don't see that Attyla is seeing is separation.

Honestly, he's a guy I could see replacing Doug Baldwin, who is on a short contract. To me he is a larger version of Doug.

And yes, horrible job by WV . . . the safety on that deep sideline jump ball was all kinds of lost.

Largent80

Reaction score
Mc Gruff, I don't see many wr's in the NFL getting separation all the time. It is a product of mis steps usually because DB's are also fast, people always say "he doesn't get separation", but nobody does consistently.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Largent80":3aozkk2a said:
Mc Gruff, I don't see many wr's in the NFL getting separation all the time. It is a product of mis steps usually because DB's are also fast, people always say "he doesn't get separation", but nobody does consistently.

Yeah, but when a prospect is playing against severely sub-NFL competition like McBride often is, I want to see some dominance, and I don't see it in that area for him.

penihawk

Reaction score
I agree with McGruff. Tape doesn't match the numbers and that is some of the worst db play from WV I've ever seen.

Largent80

Reaction score
What tape?...there isn't much. But the one play the DB was right on him and he made a circus catch, pretty impressive actually. People are slobbering Beckhams knob and he hasn't done squat.

You watch, J and P know a bit more about it than anyone here.

titan3131

Reaction score
Largent80":13buj1dx said:
What tape?...there isn't much. But the one play the DB was right on him and he made a circus catch, pretty impressive actually. People are slobbering Beckhams knob and he hasn't done squat.

In his sophomore season, Green-Beckham had 59 receptions with a 15-yard average and 12 touchdowns. In the SEC championship game against Auburn, he caught six passes for 144 yards and two scores. His 27-yard catch set up Henry Josey's go-ahead score in the Cotton Bowl victory over Oklahoma State.
^
I personally dont consider that nothing...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
titan3131":2inz7fyw said:
Largent80":2inz7fyw said:

In his sophomore season, Green-Beckham had 59 receptions with a 15-yard average and 12 touchdowns. In the SEC championship game against Auburn, he caught six passes for 144 yards and two scores. His 27-yard catch set up Henry Josey's go-ahead score in the Cotton Bowl victory over Oklahoma State.
^
I personally dont consider that nothing...

But.. but.. he smoked weed and stuff

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":1q1zikx0 said:
And stuff.

Find it ironic you're waxing poetic about a circus catch over a terrible defender, but DGB has entire highlight reels of circus catches and he hasn't done anything :lol:

Oh except smoke weed and have himself in a bad situation a couple of times. Since no one on the team has ever had a questionable track record off the field....

Oh wait..
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10490 ... ss-driving

Five years ago, Bruce Irvin was arrested for breaking into a drug dealer's house and spent two weeks in prison. Last month, he was accused of knocking over a magnetic sign that was sitting atop a Pita Pit delivery car and was arrested again. On Thursday night, he became a first-round pick in the NFL draft.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 00524.html

titan3131

Reaction score
Largent80":39c1f3iv said:
So?...what has he done LATELY?...Oh, get arrested.

largent he has not been arrested since his friend was driving and they had a broken tail light. And his friend admitted all the weed was his and DGB had no idea.

he was not arrested for the DV.

Largent80

Reaction score
OK, you guys want Beckham, I get it. I don't lets talk about McBride in a McBride thread...agreed?

titan3131

Reaction score
I personally think that we are 00% in on Ty montgomery.

And I dont see the hawks coming out of the draft with Ty + Tre

Combos i see are

DGB Ty
DGB Conely
Coates Ty
Conely Ty

there is no way we draft more then 2 wr's. And Mcbride is a cool looking prospect but I dont got time for this guy to step up against real men after he has been playing against scrubs for years.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
I think the team is very interested in Montgomery as well, and that says something about what the team is looking for . . . potential over production. Montgomery is probably among the worst catchers in this class, but if you can fix his hands somehow, the rest of his skills, especially after the catch, is elite.

I think their interest there also tips their hands in regards to other players. They would easily pass on MBride for Coates or Conley. They would pass on Algholar for Smith or Dorsett. Potential over production. They believe enough in their ability to coach technique that they will sacrifice polish in prospects to get higher potential.

penihawk

Reaction score
I don't think McBride is a bad prospect, just more of the same of what we already have. I want as well as what I think the team wants a guy that takes the top off and potentially tilts the field.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2jead466 said:
I think the team is very interested in Montgomery as well, and that says something about what the team is looking for . . . potential over production. Montgomery is probably among the worst catchers in this class, but if you can fix his hands somehow, the rest of his skills, especially after the catch, is elite.

I think their interest there also tips their hands in regards to other players. They would easily pass on MBride for Coates or Conley. They would pass on Algholar for Smith or Dorsett. Potential over production. They believe enough in their ability to coach technique that they will sacrifice polish in prospects to get higher potential.

That's overly simplifying it. There's more variables than just potential and production to choosing one prospect over the other.

The only real evidence of what they prefer comes draft day based on what they actually do. Player visits tell us they are interested or simply trying to gain more information, but how much beyond that is anybody's guess.

Take, for example, last year's draft. They passed on Cody Latimer who they brought into for a visit and had elite potential and instead took a productive 6' skinny kid with a maxed our frame. Allan Robinson was the #1 sparq receiver and they passed on him, as well.

Regarding Montgomery, it makes sense to take a chance on mid-to-late round prospects who has a few holes in his game instead of other polished more "productive" receivers who don't have the basic physical requirements, but when it comes to the first couple rounds when each prospect is a top athlete there's a lot more than just upside to look for.