7 round mock

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I have recently completed a 7 round mock draft where trades were allowed over at the KFFL.com mock draft site.

There were various managers for each of the teams and most of the participants were quite knowledgeable about relative draft value and took players at approximately yet slots where you'd expect players to be drafted.

Here are the results for the Seahawks:

I did a somewhat of high SPARQ draft and just finished, and some of the picks are bit reachy if you consider draft site values, but could actually be fair value at the pick taken. Almost every player i picked was a player with really high SPARQ scores as it is inescapable to fail to notice the team focuses upon those scores during the draft process
The CB was my toughest pick as by then almost every one of the players I liked @ CB were already picked. While I appreciate as well that the DE position was overkilled , and that I picked two WRs who were somewhat similar some feedback would be appreciated.

Here are my picks:

1-31- traded to Saints for TE- Jimmy Graham
The team acquires an All Pro TE by trading a 1st rd pick for the player and acquires a contract with no guarantees which could be re-jigged if needed.

2-63- OC/G- Ali Marpet, Hobart
I initially wanted to select Ty Sambraillo but was late making my pick and was forced to make another pick which resulted in me picking the player I thought would be a better long term fit at OC. Market has the highest SPARQ score of any OLineman, his only serious knock is his level of competition to date, but he's young and athletic and performed well at the Snr. Bowl.

3-95- WR- Tre McBride, William & Mary
This player has a very high SPARQ score is a smooth athlete and is somewhat of a prototypical WR, he has returned kicks, and is a solid route runner with reasonable size and speed. 95 is about where he could be picked.

4T-112 from Saints- DE-Frank Clark, Michigan
I think the character knocks on this player have been greatly overstated and he's been dropped in value far far away from where he should be fairly valued. He's a good DE and has played at a high level in a big program. He's not a breakthrough athlete but has a high SPARQ score. I think he could be one of those 'edgy chip on his shoulder' players Pn'J are fond of adding to the pile. I see him as a LDE rather than than a Leo. This is a pick that may be panned by the draft 'experts' as a huge reach but I have a sense this player could be on the team's radar.

4-130- OG/T- Mitch Morse, Missouri
I originally had DT- Henry Anderson, Stanford, as my first choice at this draft position give the picks made but once again got scooped and thus picked Morse. I see this player a LG and possibly a backup RT, he was Britt's understudy last season. Morse is a good athlete with high SPARQ score though his arm length is more suitable as G than as a T. I'd have picked Morse with the comp pick if Anderson had not been swiped.

4C-134- WR- Kenny Bell, Nebraska
This player is a lot like most of the WRTs we already have here. He is a bit light in weight but is a solid athlete who played well in good program. He plays hard and is willing to play physical football and unafraid of blocking or playing ST. He has the exact same SPARQ score as McBride which is #4 at the position. I can see him being on JS' radar as a good player with a solid football character willing to do whatever he needs to do to make the team. I just like this player a lot and think he might be very fairly valued here.

5-167- OLB/DE- Obum Gwacham, Oregon St.
I see this player a Leo and believe he is significantly underrated as a prospect. He could play other positions including TE if needed but is to me an interesting prospect that is likely to be picked a whole lot earlier than he is ranked at a few national draft sites. he as well has a good solid SPARQ score and could be a steal.

5C-170- T/G- Terry Poole, San Diego St.
I'm not certain if Poole is a T or a G. the team has apparently shown some pre-draft interest in him though. like the others here Poole is a good athlete though his arm length is not ideal, like all the others he has a solid SPARQ score but is a solid citizen and team leader in lower level school. he's the kind of player that Coach cable could develop into a solid backup OT or G.

6T-180 from Jets- Tye Smith, Towson
I had the most trouble with this pick as most of guys I Iiked were already picked. Smith has the arm length and height that fit within the parameters of the type of player the team likes at the CB position but is a tad light and is not as fast as I'd prefer, perhaps he's a reach but I wanted to make sure I took a player with legit ability before they were all snatched up.

6C-209- OT- Laurence Gibson, WVU
For a big man this player has an excellent SPARQ score and very long 35 1/2 " arms. he's a genuine developmental prospect but the raw material is there to develop. The knock on him has been his degree of commitment to learning how to play T. I think he could be a Bowie style player and a steal who could be developed into a quality LT if he can be motivated.

6C-214- DE- Ryan Delaires, Towson
This player was a bit of a flyer pick. He's an interesting athlete who also has a high SPARQ score, good size and length and comparatively long arms. The team was at his pro day and although he was a tier 3 player he was a solid pass rusher. I see him as an OLB/Leo prospect.

7-248- traded to the Eagles along with Seattle's 2016 6th rd pick for QB-Matt Barkley
This move was done as Jackson seems unwilling to commit yet to Seattle for this season and wants a gig where he could have a higher chance of being a starter. The rookie contract of Barkley is quite favourable and frankly this player I regard as a player that is seriously under utilized and has been undeveloped in Philly and who may get unloaded by them. I suspect the team would be interested in Barkley if he could be had for right price. With the right coaching this young QB has a high upside that could return very high dividends to the team if he can be developed into some facsimile of his college profile. If not the price for him is not high and would result in a cap saving to the team at the QB position.

I took the following guys as UDFA additions after the mock and my 'team' now has 90 players on the roster with their addition. each of these guys has had some pre-draft interest by the team. Several have tremendous SPARQ scores or has qualifying size, arm length etc. or are skilled a returning or have some unique feature to them which has attracted the team's interest.

UDFA additions
WR- Chris Harper, Cal
DT- Kristjan Sokoli, Buffalo
DT- David Irving, Iowa State
CB- Tray Walker, Texas Southern

While I may have overdone the SPARQ factor with these picks each has some merit at the position chosen. I'd be interested to hear some feedback on these picks.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I like Morse, watched him a bit when looking a Britt's tape. That said, unless he can snap a ball I'm not sure he's what we're after. I view another sparq hero, Glowinski, similarly, he'd transition nicely into our system and could stick around/add some depth at guard, but if he can snap a ball he could be our starting center, looks a smart player with great athleticism.

I also think it's a case of McBride or Bell or Harper (or another returner), not all three. There's got to be a bigger guy in there somewhere.

Lots of very handy return prospects in this draft, we shouldn't have to reach to fill the need.

If this is a sparqy mock, I'd love Nunez Roches at DT, he could be great.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I respect your thoughts on draft matters and liked your post and thread comments on WRs.

I saw Marpet as the OC/G candidate while I believe Morse to be more of a pure G but who knows if he could be a C he's certainly athletic enough as he played LT at Missouri. The OLine to me needs several candidates to develop going forward. I don't think either is a huge reach where picked. The way the draft fell most of the really tall candidates were picked ahead of the slots where I picked a WR so in a sense I picked McBride as run of picks at the position was happening as I was concerned I'd slip a tier before getting a WR. Your comments appear to indicate you aren't a fan of either McBride or Bell who I thought were fairly valued where picked, maybe I misunderstood.

In terms of Nunez-Roches the team has added back a lot of depth at DT and although this DT was interesting to me b/c of his SPARQ number he's a bit short armed to be a player my sense is the team parameter for DTs. I did acquire UDFA DT- Sokoloski however, he's a very high SPARQ player. There is going to be several huge battles for DLine roster positions this TC and the team might just surprise wirth a player trade or cut of an established veteran. The team will cut a lot of talent this year when the final cuts are made. Many of our guys will be showing up on other rosters.

As an observation I could see the team trading away several draft picks this year to move around in the draft or to store picks. for the futures or to acquire a veteran player from another team. Twelve total picks seems to me to be a lot and several could be wasted by the player being cut after camp where the team doesn't have space on the roster for the developmental player who might not be as good as the vets we have here now.

Any comment on any of the DEs or OLB/DEs?

What about the Barkley trade?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Apologies, I thought it was a good mock, and didn't mean any of the WRs were reaches, just that i wouldn't be surprised if we waited til later on. If you were to check the search function you'll find me as the first guy singing Bell's and Harper's praises and probably not far behind on McBride. I wouldn't be surprised if Alford was on our radar either but I like Lockett (not sure we will though).

Barkley one's interesting, could only see it for a very late pick as you slotted, similar to the move we pulled on Pryor though I think we had hopes of him trying out at other positions (which he effectively put an end to by coming out and saying he was a QB)

I too don't think we draft 11 guys. My guess is 9-10, with a move up in the mid rounds.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
No worries, I wonder though if our zeal to know who is the best big WR and the pure sexiness of the position has caused us to forget the team has lost it's starting C & LG and needs help with quality depth inside. I need to look harder at Glowinski as I have not really paid attention to him. I do think the team will draft a guy like Gibson to develop behind Okung or Britt.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the WR addressed earlier than pick #95 either, but think the bigger team need after acquiring Graham is the OLine. Pn'J do however surprise at times with their draft moves and so far have mostly allowed the draft to come to them. I can immediately hear the Britt, Carpenter, Irvin remarks to the contrary.

In terms of SPARQ I do think the team looks very hard at those numbers and will differentiate players based upon those results choosing the higher ranked players in almost every case. The size, length, speed, explosiveness, arm length, etc. of a player is a base from which the player sort of qualifies as a candidate but their observable play is what seals the deal. McGruff has pointed this out to me in the past and with the skill positions it is quite observable. The team is always looking for special physical candidates to develop. I believe it is a factor highly considered with each pick. If the raw material is there to be developed the coaches think they can develop the talent or place it in it's most advantageous spot to develop. This sounds sort of Al Davis like but so far Pn'J have had pretty strong success with it.

titan3131

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1us8x3b0 said:
I have recently completed a 7 round mock draft where trades were allowed over at the KFFL.com mock draft site.

There were various managers for each of the teams and most of the participants were quite knowledgeable about relative draft value and took players at approximately yet slots where you'd expect players to be drafted.

Here are the results for the Seahawks:

I did a somewhat of high SPARQ draft and just finished, and some of the picks are bit reachy if you consider draft site values, but could actually be fair value at the pick taken. Almost every player i picked was a player with really high SPARQ scores as it is inescapable to fail to notice the team focuses upon those scores during the draft process
The CB was my toughest pick as by then almost every one of the players I liked @ CB were already picked. While I appreciate as well that the DE position was overkilled , and that I picked two WRs who were somewhat similar some feedback would be appreciated.

Here are my picks:

1-31- traded to Saints for TE- Jimmy Graham
The team acquires an All Pro TE by trading a 1st rd pick for the player and acquires a contract with no guarantees which could be re-jigged if needed.

2-63- OC/G- Ali Marpet, Hobart
I initially wanted to select Ty Sambraillo but was late making my pick and was forced to make another pick which resulted in me picking the player I thought would be a better long term fit at OC. Market has the highest SPARQ score of any OLineman, his only serious knock is his level of competition to date, but he's young and athletic and performed well at the Snr. Bowl.

3-95- WR- Tre McBride, William & Mary
This player has a very high SPARQ score is a smooth athlete and is somewhat of a prototypical WR, he has returned kicks, and is a solid route runner with reasonable size and speed. 95 is about where he could be picked.

4T-112 from Saints- DE-Frank Clark, Michigan
I think the character knocks on this player have been greatly overstated and he's been dropped in value far far away from where he should be fairly valued. He's a good DE and has played at a high level in a big program. He's not a breakthrough athlete but has a high SPARQ score. I think he could be one of those 'edgy chip on his shoulder' players Pn'J are fond of adding to the pile. I see him as a LDE rather than than a Leo. This is a pick that may be panned by the draft 'experts' as a huge reach but I have a sense this player could be on the team's radar.

4-130- OG/T- Mitch Morse, Missouri
I originally had DT- Henry Anderson, Stanford, as my first choice at this draft position give the picks made but once again got scooped and thus picked Morse. I see this player a LG and possibly a backup RT, he was Britt's understudy last season. Morse is a good athlete with high SPARQ score though his arm length is more suitable as G than as a T. I'd have picked Morse with the comp pick if Anderson had not been swiped.

4C-134- WR- Kenny Bell, Nebraska
This player is a lot like most of the WRTs we already have here. He is a bit light in weight but is a solid athlete who played well in good program. He plays hard and is willing to play physical football and unafraid of blocking or playing ST. He has the exact same SPARQ score as McBride which is #4 at the position. I can see him being on JS' radar as a good player with a solid football character willing to do whatever he needs to do to make the team. I just like this player a lot and think he might be very fairly valued here.

5-167- OLB/DE- Obum Gwachum, Oregon St.
I see this player a Leo and believe he is significantly underrated as a prospect. He could play other positions including TE if needed but is to me an interesting prospect that is likely to be picked a whole lot earlier than he is ranked at a few national draft sites. he as well has a good solid SPARQ score and could be a steal.

5C-170- T/G- Terry Poole, San Diego St.
I'm not certain if Poole is a T or a G. the team has apparently shown some pre-draft interest in him though. like the others here Poole is a good athlete though his arm length is not ideal, like all the others he has a solid SPARQ score but is a solid citizen and team leader in lower level school. he's the kind of player that Coach cable could develop into a solid backup OT or G.

6T-180 from Jets- Tye Smith, Towson
I had the most trouble with this pick as most of guys I Iiked were already picked. Smith has the arm length and height that fit within the parameters of the type of player the team likes at the CB position but is a tad light and is not as fast as I'd prefer, perhaps he's a reach but I wanted to make sure I took a player with legit ability before they were all snatched up.

6C-209- OT- Laurence Gibson, WVU
For a big man this player has an excellent SPARQ score and very long 35 1/2 " arms. he's a genuine developmental prospect but the raw material is there to develop. The knock on him has been his degree of commitment to learning how to play T. I think he could be a Bowie style player and a steal who could be developed into a quality LT if he can be motivated.

6C-214- DE- Ryan Delaires, Towson
This player was a bit of a flyer pick. He's an interesting athlete who also has a high SPARQ score, good size and length and comparatively long arms. The team was at his pro day and although he was a tier 3 player he was a solid pass rusher. I see him as an OLB/Leo prospect.

7-248- traded to the Eagles along with Seattle's 2016 6th rd pick for QB-Matt Barkley
This move was done as Jackson seems unwilling to commit yet to Seattle for this season and wants a gig where he could have a higher chance of being a starter. The rookie contract of Barkley is quite favourable and frankly this player I regard as a player that is seriously under utilized and has been undeveloped in Philly and who may get unloaded by them. I suspect the team would be interested in Barkley if he could be had for right price. With the right coaching this young QB has a high upside that could return very high dividends to the team if he can be developed into some facsimile of his college profile. If not the price for him is not high and would result in a cap saving to the team at the QB position.

I took the following guys as UDFA additions after the mock and my 'team' now has 90 players on the roster with their addition. each of these guys has had some pre-draft interest by the team. Several have tremendous SPARQ scores or has qualifying size, arm length etc. or are skilled a returning or have some unique feature to them which has attracted the team's interest.

UDFA additions
WR- Chris Harper, Cal
DT- Kristjan Sokoli, Buffalo
DT- David Irving, Iowa State
CB- Tray Walker, Texas Southern

While I may have overdone the SPARQ factor with these picks each has some merit at the position chosen. I'd be interested to hear some feedback on these picks.

I like every player you picked! The only thing I would change is gwachum and delaires. Personally I love delaires tape and potential but I feel that he is more well known by other teams and he wont last that long.

Gwachum has potential but is definatly a developmental player being that he is still green @ the position he probably lasts to Free agency but its good to draft in the 6/7.

So To summ up i think you should swap their pick locations. Also a trade down @ 4.30 would be ideal to add a LB prospect, ideally a 5-6th rounder and try to get Alani Fua or a safety for depth.

McGruff

Reaction score
Jamm, I know I haven't responded yet. Sorry about that. Miss doing these with you.

Raw athletic ability is undoubtedly a characteristic this team looks at. It really serves two purposes, The first is it sets minimum limits. They simply will not consider players who do not meet certain athletic criteria. Jarvis Landry is a good example. I don't care how productive he was in college . . . he simply doesn't have the athletic traits the Seahawks consider. This is why the Seahawks board will often look very different than a standard mock . . . certain highly ranked players simply will not be on our board.

The second way they use SPARQ is to differentiate two similarly graded players. If they are close on film, but one has better meaurables, that will boost his stock. Do that enough and you could boost your stock by a round or more.

Two others factors are noticed more recently as effecting draft stock . . .

1. Overcomers . . . the Seahawks like players who have faced adversity and come through it . . . even if that adversity is sometimes of their own doing. That's why I think their interest in DGB is real. Of all the trouble makers in this draft, DGB seems the most "changed" and that matters for the Seahawks. But also look for players from broken homes, poverty, transfer situations, injury issues, etc.

2. Field physicality . . . this is the "tilt the field" aspect but broadened out to include guys in the trenches. In short, they wants burners who burn and maulers who maul. They want guys whose film shows at least occasional dominance in some aspect. Speed on the edges, wrestling in the trenches.

In your draft I love the players picked. Some might be called reaches, but they seem like good value to me. I like Clark's tape, but wonder about his character. I don't get a good vibe from the few interview snippets I've read. But that's hard to get a feel for as a fan.

I wouldn't mind the trade for Barkley, but suspect Jackson will be re-signed sooner than later. If not, they might go with a younger drafted backup like Sims.

I would also like to see more depth added at LB and in the secondary.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
McGruff":36csg8rt said:
Jamm, I know I haven't responded yet. Sorry about that. Miss doing these with you.

Raw athletic ability is undoubtedly a characteristic this team looks at. It really serves two purposes, The first is it sets minimum limits. They simply will not consider players who do not meet certain athletic criteria. Jarvis Landry is a good example. I don't care how productive he was in college . . . he simply doesn't have the athletic traits the Seahawks consider. This is why the Seahawks board will often look very different than a standard mock . . . certain highly ranked players simply will not be on our board.

The second way they use SPARQ is to differentiate two similarly graded players. If they are close on film, but one has better meaurables, that will boost his stock. Do that enough and you could boost your stock by a round or more.

1. Overcomers . . . the Seahawks like players who have faced adversity and come through it . . . even if that adversity is sometimes of their own doing. That's why I think their interest in DGB is real. Of all the trouble makers in this draft, DGB seems the most "changed" and that matters for the Seahawks. But also look for players from broken homes, poverty, transfer situations, injury issues, etc.

2. Field physicality . . . this is the "tilt the field" aspect but broadened out to include guys in the trenches. In short, they wants burners who burn and maulers who maul. They want guys whose film shows at least occasional dominance in some aspect. Speed on the edges, wrestling in the trenches.

In your draft I love the players picked. Some might be called reaches, but they seem like good value to me. I like Clark's tape, but wonder about his character. I don't get a good vibe from the few interview snippets I've read. But that's hard to get a feel for as a fan.

I wouldn't mind the trade for Barkley, but suspect Jackson will be re-signed sooner than later. If not, they might go with a younger drafted backup like Sims.

If Jackson is not signed, we probably have a backup already in BJ Daniels. He did play a bit in the Oakland game in preseason and showed some awareness. Although I think the team is looking at changing his character position to Jackofalltrades, He would be a great backup I think. Then we could draft a backup project qb for the Practice squad. Thoughts???

titan3131

Reaction score
I completely agree Mcgruff!

I feel you put too many attributes into tilt the field.

I would say

1. Overcomers . . . the Seahawks like players who have faced adversity and come through it . . . even if that adversity is sometimes of their own doing. That's why I think their interest in DGB is real. Of all the trouble makers in this draft, DGB seems the most "changed" and that matters for the Seahawks. But also look for players from broken homes, poverty, transfer situations, injury issues, etc. The harder past they worked through the greater appreciation they will have for the privilege to play in the NFL.

2. Field physicality . . . include everyone not just guys in the trenches. In short, they wants players with a fight in them on every play. maulers who maul. They refuse to accept that your stats have anything to do with effort. They want every player on the field at anytime have the ability to make a HIGHLIGHT PLAY. Jordan hill interception, earl thomas KARATE CHOP, KAMTRAK railroad, Russell wilson borland block, or his cardninal 2v1 juke TD, tate sean lee block, LOCKETTE GUNNER EXPLOSION, ect. No matter your position you have a real opportunity to make a difference on a seemingly meaningless play, and this ties into the team attitude generated by LYNCH and continued thru the team

And this concept will tie into another point...

3. tilt the field

This to me is tied into the unique attributes each player brings. they dont fit players to them they evaluate player talents and see the best way for them to fit them in and maximize their effect. examples Bennet, Avril, Clemons, Russell, wagner. All players over looked but the team found ways to maximize potential and the field tilts around them because of what they bring in uniqueness.

4 Heart / competitor / love of the game

Getting players that love the game. Money is nice, but heart is invaluable. When you love something enough you will die for it. A hint of reckless abandon is required to make the splash plays that keep our defense atop, and our offense the most explosive offense in the league.

5. Coachability / humility / PROTECT THE TEAM ABOVE ALL

we cannot make diamonds out of coal without the players being willing to accept that their coaches know best.

Marshawn is the best example. He had hsi way when he got here. Then he came to an agreement with cable and it has revitalized his career. He is the best in the game because he humbled himself to authority.

this ties into Win forever pyramid. The most important thing is that the team is > ALL

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I like the draft overall. I think you killed the UDFA's. Like most attempts at guessing JS's mind though, I feel like a lot of these are guy's that are "too popular" and JS will draft none of them.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1swy1n5g said:

There is another factor beside the three mentioned above of:
1. SPARQ,
2. Overcomers,
3. Field physicality,

it is 'chip on the shoulder' or the desire of the player to raise themselves above the crowd or above any preconception about themselves. Perhaps this factor is part of being an "overcomer" but I see it as a separate additional consideration as it points to the players desire to rise above the competition.

If you were to look at the Depth Chart there are a lot of bodies here already at LB but Clark, Delaires or Gwachum might be best started to begin with at OLB and transitioned to DE where appropriate. I do agree about the secondary, but the DBs other than the top CBs seem to be weak in this draft.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I do like his name too (Obum Gwacham) and think he could be a sleeper pick by the team. The team adds quite a few picks at positions of received need with this draft. I suspect they won't actually pick 11 players this draft and will trade up or trade picks away to store a pick for next season. Ultimately as well perhaps they wouldn't draft 3 DE/OLB prospects or 3 OLinemen either.

delagator7

Reaction score
Your score is: 5508 (GRADE: B+)

Your Picks:
Round 3 Pick 6 (NYJ): Devin Funchess, WR/TE, Michigan (A)
Round 3 Pick 31: Tevin Coleman, RB, Indiana (A+)
Round 4 Pick 5 (NYJ): John Miller, OG, Louisville (A-)
Round 4 Pick 13: Anthony Chickillo, DE, Miami (Fla.) (A)
Round 4 Pick 31: Robert Myers, OG/OT, Tennessee State (D)
Round 4 Pick 35 (COMP): David Andrews, C, Georgia (F)
Round 5 Pick 31: Kristjan Sokoli, DT/DE, Buffalo (B+)
Round 5 Pick 34 (COMP): Justin Coleman, CB, Tennessee (D-)
Round 6 Pick 5: Ty Montgomery, WR/RB, Stanford (B+)
Round 6 Pick 33 (COMP): Corey Robinson, OT, South Carolina (A)
Round 6 Pick 39 (COMP): Wes Saxton, TE, South Alabama (A)
Round 7 Pick 31: AJ Tarpley, ILB, Stanford (C-)

Not my highst score, but the players I would love to see the most.

David Funchess, though not the fastest adds another big guy to the roster

Tevin Coleman, great size and speed, great production last year over 2000+ yards competes with Christine Michael for #2 spot just in case Turbin signs elsewhere after next year.

John Miller adds depth and compete with Alvin Bailey for starting LG

Corey Robinson adds depth at the T position, probably see some action if Okung or Britt goes down during the year. Okung may have a high price tag next season.

Wes Sexton is an explosive TE, challenge any of the TE's for a roster spot, with the exception of Jimmy Graham and Luke Willson.

Seafan

Reaction score
I like your mock but I think with every draft we will be completely surprised by what the Hawks do.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thought it was worth bumping this Mock draft up. I got four players right in the draft portion and 1 drafted player as a UDFA.

As the team tends to prefer players with exceptional athletic ability I preferred players that had higher SPARQ scores than those with lower scores. I appears for the most part that there might be something to this approach. I have a belief the team wanted to go with Marpet or Morse as their 2nd rd. pick then were prepared to trade up for Clark or Lockett.

Ozzy

Reaction score
LIke McGruff said fantastic job on the predictions!

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks, wasn't bragging at all, but believe the SPARQ is a major factor in team thinking especially with later picks.I bumped the thread b/c in a small way perhaps it is instructive in understanding the direction of the FO while drafting.

Following the SPARQ considerations, the other factors such as love of football, competitiveness, mental toughness, overcoming adversity, chip on the shoulder, etc. as mentioned previous by others especially 'Gruff are key to the team deciding to pick a particular player. I suspect the thinking is that if two players are somewhat equal with intangibles you have a better shot at developing the guy with the superior athletic abilities. Of course pure football ability has to be factored and perhaps explains the Lockett selection besides need for a returner.

As well, we know the team seemingly has a set of base parameters for DBs that have been well discussed I.e.: length, arm length, with pure speed being down the list a bit. It was interesting to note the Hawks only really brought in one CB for a visit (Tray Walker) and when he came in he was considered by several draft sites to be a likely UDFA yet rose in stature after that visit. I suspect our knowing these picks will continue to be tough as the league now is aware the team seems to have good idea which guys could turn out to be possible starters in the NFL. In short I expect them to be more secretive about DBs going forward and suspect Tray Walker was clearly up there on their radar.

My thoughts here are just mine and may be full of nonsense, but I do think there is a bit of road map in terms of future draft direction with this draft. I'm presently not sure I have a clear idea of what the team looks for in DTs though to me strength and pure physicality outweigh speed and length, yet length especially arm length is preferred quality.

I thought the group thought this year on the draft was more diverse than last draft and without a doubt there are a lot of very good football thinkers (too many to specifically identify) here who reasonably can discuss player selection and qualities while being able to consider differing views. For what it's worth it'd be nice to discuss the parameters we all see as key to Pn'J's draft thinking. Perhaps this is presumptuous for us but hopefully will be interesting.