Clive Walford - TE Consideration for the Seahawks?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Over the past several weeks, University of Miami TE Clive Walford is a player whom I've increasingly had my eye on. Now that Zach Miller has finally been released (a move I've anticipated for quite some time), I wonder if Walford would be one whom might become increasingly more attractive to Seattle in the draft. While the eyes of most of Seahawk Nation appear focused either on free agents Julius Thomas or Jordan Cameron ... or the flashy Maxx Williams out of Minnesota, Walford is a guy whom I believe could make some sense for the Seahawks in that 3rd to 4th Round range if he’s sitting there.

Though he ran a disappointing 4.79 forty at the combine, Walford showed intriguing athleticism as well, recording a 35 inch vertical and a 120 inch broad jump as well.

Back in January, Mike Mayock called Walford "the most explosive tight end in the 2015 draft."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...alford-most-explosive-tight-end-in-2015-draft

Kevin Weidl of Scouts INC absolutely loves Walford and what he brings to the table …
[youtube]beGSEYzHlyo[/youtube]

Walford had a great Senior Bowl, showing great consistency both as a blocker and a pass catcher. Throughout the week, he routinely handled defenders at the line of scrimmage and demonstrated that he could threaten defenses down the seam.

Here is NFL.com's breakdown of his game ...

Strengths
Becoming a very reliable blocker. Is tough enough and physical enough to be a play-side blocking tight end on zone runs. Bends and explodes from hips into his targets and sustains with a good base. Will drive smaller linebackers off the line of scrimmage in run game. Has lined up in-line, slot and as an H-back. Has the physical build and enough quickness to threaten the seam. Turns head and locates the ball quickly. Can make contested catches. Has NFL run-after-catch ability. At home in a physical matchup. Has long arms and big hands.

Weaknesses
Focus drops were a big problem for Walford from 2012-2013 (10 drops). Needs work in sinking hips into breaks. Will round off out routes and allow defender angles to break on the pass. Scouts say his play speed has been inconsistent and there are questions about what his timed speed will be. Not the same factor in run blocking when asked to play move-tight-end role.

NFL Comparison
Dwayne Allen

Bottom Line
A combo tight end who can help a team in the running game and through the air, Walford can be moved around the field. He lacks the elite athletic traits to be a game-changer at the position, but he is becoming a premium blocker. With teams looking for versatile TEs to create matchups in two-TE sets, Walford's stock should be high.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/clive-walford?id=2552397

Clive Walford Highlights …
[youtube]4bLnONf66R4[/youtube]

Highlight footage of his workouts at the combine (really show off his overall athleticism and receiving skills IMO) ...
http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/M...ghlights/2e29e5d9-4ccc-455e-8916-45a74793d7d0

How Clive Walford Could Make Sense For Seattle …

The Seahawks have shown time and time again an entirely different philosophy when it comes to player personnel decisions. They evaluate their team as a whole, ask themselves what they are missing, and then look for individuals out there who have attributes that can enhance their overall product. With Zach Miller now gone, the Seahawks are in need of a tight end who possesses both plus blocking and plus receiving skills. Walford has show signs that he could develop in to a premium blocker. For a team that values the running game and run blocking as much as Seattle does, solid run blocking at the TE position is a must. You couple all of that with the struggles this team had last year in pass protection it becomes crystal clear that finding a replacement for Miller has to rank right up there among this team’s top priorities. Walford also has solid receiving skills as well, showing an ability to run good routes, to beat press coverage, make contested catches, and gain yards after the catch. During his time at Miami, Walford played out wide, in the slot, and as an H Back, so could be used in a number of different ways in Seattle’s Offense. Seattle values guys who have unique skillsets and if Walford is sitting there at the tail end of the 3rd round, I would have to think that he’d be a consideration.

Thoughts?

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of Walford, and depending on what happens with FA, he seems like a potential Seahawks draft target. The only problem is that he may not make it to the Hawks second round selection

The tape of Walford reminded me a bit of the USC tape of Anthony McCoy. Just for kicks, I compared their combine numbers.

------------------------Height ----Wt----Arm---Hand---40 Yd---10 Yard---Bench--Vert----Broad---3 Cone
Clive Walford...... 6040........251....34" ....10 1/2...4.79......1.67.........20........30.5"....9'9"........7.3
Anthony McCoy...6041........259....34".....10 3/8...4.71......1.66.........19........35.5"....9'4.2".....6.99

McCoy was given a 3rd round grade before the draft, but dropped because he tested positive for marijuana at the combine. I think Walford is much more allusive in the open field, but both seem to fit the "combo" TE spot - the ability to both block and receive.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Great write up.

I'm a big fan of Walford. I know the poster Playmaker21 is, too.

I wrote this back in February in the Favorite Prospect thread:

Clive Walford, TE, Miami - Another Miami guy. A 5th year senior with lot of starting experience. On a Miami team with some weapons on offense and a freshmen QB, you could argue Walford was underused. He's really athletic, an ex-basketball player who's hoops skills translates really well on the football field. He's got a huge wing span (something Seattle looks for) that he uses well to reaches out for a catch, almost like grabbing a rebound and for a big guy 6'4" 250 lbs, he has some good cuts in the open field and fast enough speed to get YAC. I really like Maxx Williams but Walford could be the better fit.

I exaggerated a bit on his athleticism but it's more than good enough to make some big plays. Mostly what I like about Walford is that he is what I like to call, country strong. He's got natural core strength that fits into the running game. He's also an underrated pass catcher who can run after the catch. He's my 2nd rated tight end in his class. I'll be surprised if he is there at the end of the 3rd. I think the Senior Bowl pushed him up.

I like Maxx Williams better cause he's a natural player on the field and has room to grow (he's only 20 years old now), but I have to admit Seattle could like Walford better at his draft position because he's is a better blocker than Maxx which could make him ready to take over the starting TE spot day 1 if he has to where Maxx will need more experience blocking and time in the grow into the "Y" tight end role.

Somerset made the comparison of Walford to Anthony McCoy which I think is pretty spot on except I've got Walford as the better all-around TE (and no failed drug tests). Both body types are very similar. I'd say that alone should put Walford on our radar. From what I've read he's worked his ass off to improve every season and has confidence to play at the next level.

I've said this a few times but don't forget Pete Carroll's son just joined the coaching staff in Seattle after coaching tight ends and receivers at Miami for four years. If there's a team that takes a Miami prospect earlier than expected, I wouldn't be surprised if its Seattle because of that insiders knowledge.

danp1990

Reaction score
By Far one of the Best Analysis on a Great TE :) ! and just like you im not swayed away by the 'shiny new toy'' talk. I know there is talk out there about Julius Thomas,Jordan Cameron or the so called top TE's on Experts Mock Drafts, and dont get me wrong Max Williams is good and all but we lost Zach Miller! We're not going to Draft another Joker TE/HE . What this team needs is an inline TE to help our zone blocking and pass pro.none of the so called TE out there can do much more than catch. Clive Walford Should be available in the 2/3 round and i would like like him on our team as he can block and catch, then you add in the fact that we now have the inside scoop on him via Pete Jr. EX WR Coach at UM.

But, in all honesty i much rather have TE Devin Mehina out of BYU, the best run and pass blocking ive seen in a LONG time. has great catch radius at 6'6ft and 255lbs. I can definitely see him in our zone block scheme, very smart as well. you can tell he knows coverages by always finding the vacated zone in defense predicated from their post snap coverages. I kid you not, this kid is the Best TE ive seen from Max Williams to the next 30 ive seen. heres what i would want LOL hate all you want but its just IMHO and opinion. 1)TE Devin Mehina , 2)Clive Walford , 3)Nick Boyle, TE, Delaware , 4)Jesse James TE, Penn State . We must get a TE who can block first otherwise he doesnt fit our scheme. Im not talking about the joker TE positions which Willson or Anthony McCoy play but an actual inline TE .

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Good prospect. Dubious whether he's part of the design of our offense going forward.

Seattle would have to spend at least a 3rd round pick on him. With a weak draft class, his profile is going to exaggerate his position. I would expect that Seattle will select a player of better value which shouldn't be unexpected.

Seattle seems to be moving away from using an inline blocking TE. How much of that was due to missing Miller? Not sure. Also, we aren't trying to incorporate an ill fitting WR talent (Harvin). But Seattle nonetheless has seemingly moved on from featuring that in the offense.

Largent80

Reaction score
This guy looks like a great get for us. And as you stated, he is known with the Miami connection.

kearly

Reaction score
Walford has Jeremy Stevens hands, making spectacular catches but also dropping a very high number of easy ones (10 "easy" catches dropped over his last two seasons, according to NFL.com). That will make him a .net whipping boy, but I'm chill with it. Seattle loves acquiring those types of "dramatic" pass catchers.

He's also a surprisingly good blocker for a guy who's only 6'4" 251.

titan3131

Reaction score
kearly":1vdujmlm said:
Walford has Jeremy Stevens hands, making spectacular catches but also dropping a very high number of easy ones (10 "easy" catches dropped over his last two seasons, according to NFL.com). That will make him a .net whipping boy, but I'm chill with it. Seattle loves acquiring those types of "dramatic" pass catchers.

He's also a surprisingly good blocker for a guy who's only 6'4" 251.

I wonder if his hands would also beat the Sh*t our of hope solo ? maybe after 2 guys beat her she grows up?