Pac 12 demands its prospect scouting videos be taken down

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DB_JoshD/status/572895914311868416[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DB_JoshD/status/572899485984006145[/tweet]

So for whatever reason the Pac 12 had Draftbreakdown.com remove all the videos of it's conference players and I'm assuming other websites as well. This sucks for the many of us who like to evaluate the draft because it removes a huge piece of the puzzle.

Does anyone know why these videos would be a threat to them? The season is over. What else do they have to sell during the offseason? The draft is a large reason I pay such close attention to college football. If this becomes the norm around the NCAA than it would really kill a growing hobby of a lot of people.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
That really sucks. There is no way that is some kind of threat to the PAC 12.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2fl8o8nf said:
That really sucks. There is no way that is some kind of threat to the PAC 12.

Not sure how it hurts the Pac, most highlights cut out the part of the Pac 12 refs sucking.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Sadly inevitable and I'm surprised it's taken this long.

The PAC-12 has signed a massive contract with particular broadcasters for exclusive rights to broadcast their games. If those broadcasters are not happy about their footage being used on the internet, what choice do they have? A contract's a contract. And they'll also want people to visit their own website for highlights (however poor they might be, it is their right).

Won't be a surprise at all if the other conferences follow suit.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2dd6qx00 said:
Sadly inevitable and I'm surprised it's taken this long.

The PAC-12 has signed a massive contract with particular broadcasters for exclusive rights to broadcast their games. If those broadcasters are not happy about their footage being used on the internet, what choice do they have? A contract's a contract. And they'll also want people to visit their own website for highlights (however poor they might be, it is their right).

Won't be a surprise at all if the other conferences follow suit.

I suppose you're right it's not necessarily the PAC 12 conference's fault. I know there's a lot of money involved. I wish these broadcasters would understand that I'm watching more of their stuff now legally then I would if it wasn't made available this way. I'm on their website looking at highlights and stats because their game tape intrigues me enough to look for more information.

I'll feel bad for you English if all the conferences following the pac 12's lead. You've built a great site. I'd hate to see you and fans of your site not have that access to tape.

kearly

Reaction score
Hopefully this means the NCAA is planning a tape access service, similar to the NFL's coaches tape service. If not, this is REALLY stupid.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I'm with Kearly here.

The draft is a fascinating event and there are loads of people who like to do their own research. There's obviously a big market for this stuff. Maybe the networks should employ the likes of draftbreakdown and offer the content to their customers or as a separate (hopefully reasonably priced) product. For people like me this is the only college footage I want to watch. I'd be prepared to pay a modest amount to pay to watch breakdowns of each conference's top 20-30 prospects. Maybe $5 -$10 per major conference, or better yet, a centralise NCAA-wide database

I'd obviously prefer to get it for free but if that's not an option it's a big step backwards to not have access at all.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":26c1alis said:
Hopefully this means the NCAA is planning a tape access service, similar to the NFL's coaches tape service. If not, this is REALLY stupid.

I had this same thought. There's an obvious demand for it. If they can package this and sell it, why not?

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkspur":30j30dcs said:
I'm with Kearly here.

The draft is a fascinating event and there are loads of people who like to do their own research. There's obviously a big market for this stuff. Maybe the networks should employ the likes of draftbreakdown and offer the content to their customers or as a separate (hopefully reasonably priced) product. For people like me this is the only college footage I want to watch. I'd be prepared to pay a modest amount to pay to watch breakdowns of each conference's top 20-30 prospects. Maybe $5 -$10 per major conference, or better yet, a centralise NCAA-wide database

I'd obviously prefer to get it for free but if that's not an option it's a big step backwards to not have access at all.

To go along with you I'd think paid access would be a big step forward if done right.

I've looked at season game replay packages on the conference website but it's way to much money and shifting thru full games takes a bit of time.