Post-combine pre-FA 4 round mock

jimbojones31

Reaction score
Just a quick word on how I’ve done this before I start. I used NFL Draft Scout for the rankings, and followed these rules:

1st round - I couldn’t pick anyone mentioned before pick 31 on any of the 3 mock 1st round drafts on the site (Rob Rang, Dane Brugler, Pat Kirwan).

2nd – 4th rounds – I could only pick from prospects “available” per the NFL Draft Scout big board at each slot.

So what does my draft look like?

#31 – CB Jalen Collins, LSU
It really came down to 3 available players at this spot. Collins, Marcus Peters or Jake Fisher. Fisher was intriguing, but given this is a pre-free agency mock CB is a much bigger need. Simon looked exposed in the playoffs (although I’m not totally writing off his chances of playing at a higher level next year) and is also injured. Lane is out and realistically is not going to be a factor in 2015. Maxwell is almost certainly gone. The choice between Collins and Peters came down to length. Famously the Seahawks don’t draft CBs with sub 32” arms, and that’s what Peters has. Also there are nagging character concerns with Peters and a feeling that Collins is still a work in progress. He’s played relatively little football, and the DB coaches will be queuing up to mold him into the next great Seahawks CB.

#63 – WR Tyler Lockett, Kansas State
I wanted to address WR here, and whilst a lot of good options had gone (Coates, Agholor), there were still a handful of players I wanted, whereas waiting until #97 would have seen a sizeable drop off in talent. I considered Phillip Dorsett and Tre McBride, but Lockett offers a rare combination of monstrous production as a WR and off the charts PR/KR ability (check the stats if you don’t believe me). The Seahawks desperately missed that spark in the return game last year, and Lockett could contribute Day 1 in that capacity. As a WR he could easily slot in as a #3, and he is a similar type of player to Richardson, so could fill the void if Richardson isn’t back until later in the season.

#95 – DE/DT Za’Darius Smith, Kentucky
Now we’re just getting to guys I like. A month or so ago I thought DL was a huge need. Now I’m coming round to the idea that the Front Office will do what they’ve done every season – fill through FA and draft a couple of guys to compete. Smith isn’t off the charts athletic (although his combine numbers aren’t bad for a big guy), but he’s just a good football player. He has a good range of moves, can get to the QB and holds up well in the run game. He weighed 274lbs at the combine and is listed as a DE, but I would see him the same light as Michael Bennett (and Cassius Marsh) – 6’4”, 280-285lbs, can play inside or out as the situation dictates. I do see the need for a good backup LEO behind Avril but this draft isn’t deep with those guys and I’m not fighting the board. Smith is nice value here.

#127 – OT/OG Mitch Morse, Missouri
I’ll admit we’re getting into the realms of the unknown here, but Morse took over LT duties from Justin Britt this year, and I think there’s just a chance that the Seahawks might double dip. Morse has short arms which will probably push him inside, but he’s had experience up and down the line, and the Seahawks love versatile linemen. He’s also sneaky athletic and will grade out relatively highly in SPARQ terms. I don’t know, this is a bit of a crapshoot, but we need to address the O-Line and Morse looks like a good fit.