Shaq Thompson Draft Projection

QuahHawk

Reaction score
It sounds as if his draft stock is dropping.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/5-p ... wzV#page=4

I have seen him projected as a 1st round player but felt his lack of defined position could hurt him too much. With his poor showing at the combine it could call into more questions.

At 6'0 228lb and only running a 4.64 an could he fall out of the 2nd now?

How interested should we be as Seahawk fans? Do we need another LB with one of our top 2 picks?

I would almost be more intrigued in having him as an extra RB in case Lynch doesn't come back. He could always be used as a backup and future replacement for Kim and get some time at LB in nickel situations. He seems like the unique type of player Pete & John find has a special quality they can use to make this team better.

Are we at a place where we can afford to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on an "Athlete" right now with a few big holes we need to fill.

drrew

Reaction score
Shaq Thompson is Lavonte David 2.0

They're within an inch and five pounds of each other. Combine 40s essentially identical. David did slightly better on the jumps, Shaq slightly better on 3 cone and shuttle.

Lavonte David is probably best case scenario, but Shaq has the talent to be that good.

I don't think he's a fit in Seattle from a size/length standpoint, but he'll make another team very happy.

pehawk

Reaction score
Shaq's drop reminds me of a few other Huskies that were overlooked most likely based on geography. Desmond Trufant and Correy Dillon. In each caser they we're CLEARLY the best at their position in their respected draft, but, they dropped mostly due to a slight geography bias.

Shaq Thompson is a machine. He's a football player. He's Earl Thomas in almost every quality imaginable, IMO. I don't care if it's the furthest thing from a "need" on the Hawks...you just nab dudes like that.

He's a football player. And football players make football plays.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
This is my issue with the combine. A tenth of a second in the 40
Is going to wipe out and replace 3 years of film? Like pe said, Shaqs a football player. Just watch him play football and it tells you everything you need to know. You can't clock passion and football intelligence.

titan3131

Reaction score
I don't see his position high value. Hes good but I think its husky homer bias to even consider him in the 1-2 rd.

Now we also seem to be forgetting that his stock will change after his pro day.

I was hearing complaints that the turf was all messes up causing bad times for the later drill.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
titan3131":2ww8ic6v said:
I don't see his position high value. Hes good but I think its husky homer bias to even consider him in the 1-2 rd.

Now we also seem to be forgetting that his stock will change after his pro day.

I was hearing complaints that the turf was all messes up causing bad times for the later drill.
How is it "husky homer" to consider him in round 1 or 2 when that's where he's projected to go?

CPHawk

Reaction score
Take him and make him drop 10 lbs, and move him back to safety. I'd bet he could get back that lost step in his 40, and with earl out we will be needing the help next year. Once Earl is 100%, the next year have him put the weight back on, and move him to LB or possibly even RB.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
CPHawk":i46s1jg1 said:
Take him and make him drop 10 lbs, and move him back to safety. I'd bet he could get back that lost step in his 40, and with earl out we will be needing the help next year. Once Earl is 100%, the next year have him put the weight back on, and move him to LB or possibly even RB.
This is intriguing. Especially considering (if you believe the reports) in the 2012 draft, Mark Barron was #1 on the Hawks board, then when he and Keuchly were drafted, the Hawks moved down and drafted Irvin.

They weren't afraid to play 3 safeties then, why would they be afraid to play safeties now? Conventional is not the way this teams runs. Guys "without real positions" seem to flourish here.

titan3131

Reaction score
I meant its homer to prohect the hawks taking him in that range.

Other teams have need there, we do not.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
titan3131":3vwhykba said:

It's not homer to project him inside the range he's expected to be taken. Since when do the Hawks draft for need?

Shaq isn't dropping to 63 so either we discuss him at 31 or we don't discuss him. Nothing "homer" about it.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3he6msvm said:
titan3131":3he6msvm said:

It's not homer to project him inside the range he's expected to be taken. Since when do the Hawks draft for need?

Shaq isn't dropping to 63 so either we discuss him at 31 or we don't discuss him. Nothing "homer" about it.

The Hawks draft for need all the time. There are exceptions, but they are exceptions. The hawks draft to improve weak positions on their roster.

titan3131

Reaction score
I am saying that he is going to drop.

And that as a husky fan you value him more then you should for his "projection." Maybe this will make you understand. Jake fisher is in the same place. It would be homer for a ducks fan to say the hawks should take him in the 31st. there are better players available that will have a more significant impact.

I guarantee you that we trade down. There is so many needs that can be filled in the 2-3 rounds.

IT IS SO DEEP.

Our strongest need that will be addressed in the draft is LEO. And there is not many good guys that meet our leo requirements and that will be available for us.

I have my eye on lorenzo mauldin has the arm length and has a very seahawky background and attitude.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
titan3131":1xw66o9l said:
I have my eye on lorenzo mauldin has the arm length and has a very seahawky background and attitude.

Indeed. 2nd rounder?

"He overcame a tough childhood and developed a mindset that nothing is going to stop him. He works his butt off and he wants to be great. I'm cheering hard for this kid and I'll bang the table for him when the time is right." -- NFC North scout

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552297

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
McGruff":remp5fdz said:
Hawkfan77":remp5fdz said:
titan3131":remp5fdz said:

The Hawks draft for need all the time. There are exceptions, but they are exceptions. The hawks draft to improve weak positions on their roster.
But what we as fans consider needs and what the team considers needs aren't always the same. Their board is unpredictable.

All I'm saying is talking about Shaq being in play at 31 is not "husky homer" talk simply because he has a round 1 to 2 projection. and that while in 2015 as it stands right now, OLB might not be a "need" as we see, we don't see the roster and the roster construction the same as Schneider does and it's not about just 2015, but beyond. Especially with the likes of Irvin possibly being gone after next season and KJ's contract was basically a 2 year deal. Or they could view Shaq as a hybrid LB/S type. There's nothing homerish about discussing using out 1st round pick on a 1st round talent, regardless of what school he went to.

titan3131

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":3l2iqvhe said:
titan3131":3l2iqvhe said:

Indeed. 2nd rounder?

"He overcame a tough childhood and developed a mindset that nothing is going to stop him. He works his butt off and he wants to be great. I'm cheering hard for this kid and I'll bang the table for him when the time is right." -- NFC North scout

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552297

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOQMaNYX7dM

check this out

CPHawk

Reaction score
I'm far from a UW homer, but this kid is going to be a stud. If we know one thing, it's Pete and John always think outside the box. They also will draft the top player off their board, and at 31 I doubt there will be many players on the board higher than Shaq.

kearly

Reaction score
I remember watching Lavonte David run an unofficial 4.50 at the combine. Weird how that turned into 4.65. I also think Thompson is way faster on the field than his official 40 would indicate.

David is far more instinctive than Thompson, who I think is a very average LB who makes a lot of big plays. My comp for Thompson is that he's a more gifted version of Mason Foster.

Another player who had similar athleticism and dependance on the big play was Alec Ogletree, and he went at the end of the 1st. Ogletree has been a good pro so far.

I don't think the lack of a defined position will hurt Thompson. He was good everywhere he played, and he has the size and speed he needs to play all those positions in the NFL. I think he was by far the best at RB, but probably too unconventional for NFL teams to draft him as early as he'd like.

As a LB, I would probably grade Shaq Thompson solidly in the 2nd round. Basically the same range I had Bobby Wagner.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
It would be great if we could trade back into the top of the 2nd and pick up another 4th rd pick and still get Shaq. I am on board that he is a talent and a great football player that comes up with big plays. This leads to my theory the Pete and John love guys with special talents and they put them in position to succeed. I also think Shaq would fit well on this defense and could play some RB in a pinch.

ivotuk

Reaction score
CPHawk":37a2wqvz said:

I've been thinking this same thing, except maybe keep the weight. He would make a great cover linebacker/Kam Chancellor Backup.

Latest posts