Melvin Gordon vs. Todd Gurley

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
In some dream world, both fall to 31. Who do you take?

At first, I was team Gurley all the way. But Melvin Gordon is really winning me over. I think I'd take him at this point.

To be clear, the goal of this thread is to encourage some meaningful comparing and contrasting on the running styles of the two and how they'd fit with the 'Hawks team.

drrew

Reaction score
Melvin Gordon is the Russell Wilson of running backs. Great person, will outwork everyone in the building, first class talent.

Todd Gurley could be very good, Melvin Gordon will be very good.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Todd Gurley. He has everything you want in an RB. No sleight on Gordon, at all. I just think Gurley's game translates better.

titan3131

Reaction score
neither, I pay chicken with another team that wants a rb for more picks.

I would take 2nd 3rd for this year and the next. and their 5th next year.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet Gordon is the #1 player this team wants in the draft

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1onalw3e said:
Even with Lynch, Turbin, and Cmike on the roster? I don't think they would in that case, but even if they did Gordon wouldn't be available to them.

Seattle adjusts its board based on talent of the prospect but also the amount increase of talent over it's existential roster. If Seattle thinks Gordan is that much of a better player than Turbin and Cmike and is willing to carry 4 RBs or cut a RB, then certainly a much more RB desperate team would see the same thing Pete and John do.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
This draft class is so deep with RBs that I'm starting to think a RB in the first two rounds is a real long shot.

David Johnson and Jeremy Langford are beasts . . . yet some people have them pegged as 4th or 5th round picks.

Mike Davis, Michael Dyer, and John Crockett are bruising backs that can probably be had even later in the draft than that.

Chawks1

Reaction score
This would be a very tough choice. Both look great.

But is anyone else concerned that they both might be benefitting from great running teams? Each of their backups look just as imoressive as Gordon or Gurley did when running behind the same line. Gurley was injured 2/3 of the season and his backup got 1500+ yards rushing and 14 TDs. Gordon's backup had 900+ yards rushing and averaged 6.5 yards per carry in a true backup roll.

I especially don't trust RBs that come out of Wisconsin. They are known for having an outstanding OL each year. And they Always look great going into the draft but never really become major talents. So I guess I lean towards Gurley over Gordon in this scenario.

Having said that I really hope we go WR at 31 and take either David Johnson, David Cobb, or Ameer Abdullah in the 2nd. That would be much better value IMO.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Neither. RBs should almost never be drafted in round 1. They are often a product of the line, and a 1st rd RB wont do much better than a 4th round RB behind the same line. Its also not a need.

The best player on the board won't be a RB, and the best player at a position of need won't be a RB.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Gurley. For fit reasons. Seattle likes to have a physical/punishing running style. In our ZBS scheme, that punishment quality is derived from the RB position.

If we assume that we do have a larger 3 year projection for the roster, then I think the need for Gurley makes some legitimate sense. Running backs of that quality, with that kind of particular style, don't come along every year. I think even the most ardent Lynch supporters would concede that by 2016 and certainly 2017, Lynch is going to be Beastmode in name only. Seattle would be wise to seek to acquire the quality of physical back necessary to maintain our brand of rushing attack for the next couple seasons.

Gurley is a sublime fit. He may well be the best/ideal fit over these next two years. And for certain, there is the real risk that if another suitable candidate does present itself in that time -- we wouldn't be in a position to draft him.

If Gurley gets within 6-7 picks of 31 -- I think it would be wise for Seattle to ensure that they can sustain the kind of rushing identity that they currently enjoy. It's a key component to our blueprint for success.

Getting Gurley early doesn't necessitate shipping Lynch off prematurely either. His rookie contract will be light. And the ability to effectively spell Lynch without losing efficacy in the next two to three years should only serve to extend Lynch's effectiveness in the waning seasons of his career.

Seattle does see a significant change/drop off when we put Turbin in for extended periods. He's a good backup -- but he's also going on his final year of his rookie deal. He should be expected to leave after this season. Both for better money, but also better opportunity. His career clock is ticking.

Getting Gurley this year is almost perfect timing really. We have the ability to absorb a redshirt year. The ability to develop him for a year without impact on the team. By 2016, we have a guy one year in the system, with much higher quality as a backup. When Lynch is out, and Gurley is in, we're not running to keep teams honest like we do with Turbin. We're executing our full game plan to it's fullest.

randomation

Reaction score
Gordon, I'm obviously biased but he is as someone else said the rb version of RW. He is the guy who will be up at 3 am working his ass off to get better. I have no idea about Gurley but Gordon's work ethic is well known in Madison, also if he had an actual qb to force teams out of the box against him he would have destroyed Barry's record. He isa homerun hitter he will break one it's just a matter of when pretty much.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... n-magazine

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":c8xl7zya said:
Hawkfan77":c8xl7zya said:
Even with Lynch, Turbin, and Cmike on the roster? I don't think they would in that case, but even if they did Gordon wouldn't be available to them.

Seattle adjusts its board based on talent of the prospect but also the amount increase of talent over it's existential roster. If Seattle thinks Gordan is that much of a better player than Turbin and Cmike and is willing to carry 4 RBs or cut a RB, then certainly a much more RB desperate team would see the same thing Pete and John do.
Other teams don't see the same things Pete and John do...that's what makes the Hawks so successful, they view players differently.

McGruff

Reaction score
The common mistake people make is assuming that Pete ONLY wants a big, bruising RB because that is what Marshawn is. But Pete coached Reggie Bush and Joe McKinight. And his highest opponent praise has been for Jamaal Charles and Lesean McCoy. I don't think they are married to a big back philosophy. If Gordon is there, they will take him and make use of him.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":20bm99ad said:
Recon_Hawk":20bm99ad said:
Hawkfan77":20bm99ad said:

Other teams don't see the same things Pete and John do...that's what makes the Hawks so successful, they view players differently.

Wouldn't viewing things differently would be to go against the majority? 95% of tge fans view Gordon as an amazing player already so not sure how that's being different.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I thought I read that Schneider was at 3 or 4 Wisconsin games in person this year.

That might say something about who the Hawks would take.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Scottemojo":by7lrxn0 said:
I thought I read that Schneider was at 3 or 4 Wisconsin games in person this year.

Man beast Rob Havenstein?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Gurley would be the best fit.

He's the easiest to fit onto the roster at this point. You could medically redshirt him this year and let Lynch play and see what Michael can bring to the table. It's the easiest move to make in terms of the roster, because in no way do I not want Lynch this year and maybe next year.

I wouldn't want Gurley in the 1st though. No way I'm drafting a RB in round 1, with a torn ACL, that won't contribute as much his first year. It's just poor value. Unless there is no one my draft board likes enough and no one wants to trade up with us.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":33s0b8fm said:
Scottemojo":33s0b8fm said:

Man beast Rob Havenstein?
Can't be him, we already have a right tackle.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":34e30d3h said:

Couple that with JS begging Lynch publicly to sign the deal and even saying there is a timeline. Given how much it would take to acquire Gordon, I'd image that Lynch timeline is set for April 30th.

Seattle wanted Trent Richardson very badly in 2012, and this was immediately after Lynch had his breakout season in 2011. I wouldn't be shocked if JS had a similar man crush on Gordon (hopefully the end result would be very different).

Seafan

Reaction score
kearly":1w1etg6t said:
Scottemojo":1w1etg6t said:

Couple that with JS begging Lynch publicly to sign the deal and even saying there is a timeline. Given how much it would take to acquire Gordon, I'd image that Lynch timeline is set for April 30th.

Seattle wanted Trent Richardson very badly in 2012, and this was immediately after Lynch had his breakout season in 2011. I wouldn't be shocked if JS had a similar man crush on Gordon (hopefully the end result would be very different).

So what you are saying is the Hawks are as bad at evaluating RB talent as they are at DLs? Nice.