Chris Conley WR Georgia...

EMTHawkfan

Reaction score
...is blowing up the combine!

Maybe someone smarter than me can post his numbers. He checked in at 6'2" 213 and ran a 4.35 40. I heard he had a 45" vertical and 11'7" broad...looked at some film on him and he looks pretty good.

Anyone have any thoughts or insight on this young man?

Hawks46

Reaction score
I haven't scouted him, but read up on him a bit. He was listed at 203 lbs, so if he gained 10 lbs and ran that 4.3, that's really good for him. His knock was that he gets redirected too easily in press coverage. Supposedly he runs good routes and is good at catching the ball away from his body. with that vert, he could be really interesting.

He went to Georgia, who ran the ball a lot, so he didn't get a ton of targets. I hope this means he's good at blocking (or at least used to it and willing to block) because he's a decent route runner and I'm starting to be intrigued by him. I've read he can go 2nd or 3rd round. I'd have to wait and see how he does in the rest of the drills, as I'm not sure a blazing 40 time is good enough to bump him up really high......but I'd love to see him on the Hawks.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I've seen the odd spectacular highlight catch but there's next to no tape on him. I expect that to change now.

Great length, long arms, big hands, already a star performer on bench press and now a 4.35. His stock is going to soar. Go break the sparq young man.

Hawks46

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2r2tzs3y said:
I've seen the odd spectacular highlight catch but there's next to no tape on him. I expect that to change now.

Great length, long arms, big hands, already a star performer on bench press and now a 4.35. His stock is going to soar. Go break the sparq young man.

Yea I think he was under the radar due to lack of targets. His draft profile says he's a decent route runner, has plus hands and catches away from his body. Combined with his size and vertical, it looks like he'd be a good high pointer. For us, I'd wonder about his blocking in the run game. I'm assuming he'd be good at it coming from Georgia.

Any of you draft whizzes out there know anything about this guy ? I'm really intrigued.

hawksurething

Reaction score
EMTHawkfan":125g1i4o said:

Maybe someone smarter than me can post his numbers. He checked in at 6'2" 213 and ran a 4.35 40. I heard he had a 45" vertical and 11'7" broad...looked at some film on him and he looks pretty good.

Dude cant get off the press which is a big no-no ! Hawks are full of WRs like him already,P-rich ran a 4.29. He is just speed & routes.

He might make a decent #2WR ?...but weak #1WR.

Hawks need a prototypical #1 WR that demands a double team pulling 8 out of the box,destroys the redzone,and can block.

Only WRs in draft capable of all are...Cooper,white,parker,strong. big guys dont need much seperation or good routse if the win the jump balls and box out like Brandon Marshall,Dez,etc...

OP
OP
EMTHawkfan

EMTHawkfan

Reaction score
hawksurething":1t7qu61r said:
EMTHawkfan":1t7qu61r said:

Dude cant get off the press which is a big no-no ! Hawks are full of WRs like him already,P-rich ran a 4.29. He is just speed & routes.

He might make a decent #2WR ?...but weak #1WR.

Hawks need a prototypical #1 WR that demands a double team pulling 8 out of the box,destroys the redzone,and can block.

Only WRs in draft capable of all are...Cooper,white,parker,strong. big guys dont need much seperation or good routse if the win the jump balls and box out like Brandon Marshall,Dez,etc...

The problem with the receivers you mentioned is that at least for now we pick at 31. Cooper, White, and Parker are all gone in the top 15. Strong "may" be there in the late 1st but we'll have to see. It's all about potential and being able to be coached up I guess so here's hoping the Hawks can hit on one somewhere!

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
hawksurething":39eoxa18 said:
Dude cant get off the press which is a big no-no !

Did you get this from all the extensive tape out there, or a sentence from an NFL.com overview that lists his NFL comparison as our very own Chris Matthews, a 6,5 average athlete who has 4 career NFL catches?

Also, even if it's true, there's tons of guys who can't beat press consistently. A guy with his arm length, strength and foot quickness has more chance than most of improving that. Plus if your OC's worth a crap then he'll find ways to make it work.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2nubwcm1 said:
Not sure about blowing it up. NFL tracker has him graded at 5.4. Lower 2nd tier

He's top 5 in each drill so far, with the #1 vertical and broad jumps. 4.35 40, 6'2, 2nd longest arms. I'd say so far he is blowing it up.

OP
OP
EMTHawkfan

EMTHawkfan

Reaction score
Timmahawk":ewkhu9yb said:
seahawkfreak":ewkhu9yb said:

He's top 5 in each drill so far, with the #1 vertical and broad jumps. 4.35 40, 6'2, 2nd longest arms. I'd say so far he is blowing it up.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Timmahawk":3gs1fg2i said:
seahawkfreak":3gs1fg2i said:

Very intriguing for sure, but just keep in mind that Mike Mammula once rocked the combine as well. Mike Mayock said it best this week -- teams get in trouble when they fall MORE in love with all of the measureables at the combine ... than all the body of work of what a player has actually produced on the field. He said that the combine should be a cross check -- something that should verify what the game tape shows. If a player has a workout that falls (either positive or negative) what the game tape shows ... that ought to make evaluators go back to the tape and review their notes.

So while this does certainly pique my interest, I'd tend to more trust what Conley has already shown on the field. Just keep in mind that prior to this, NFL.com had him as their 17th rated WR prospect ... and NFLDraftScout.com had him pegged as a 7th Rounder/FA. If he's still sitting there in the 6th or 7th round, I'd certainly look at taking a flyer if I were John Schneider and the Seahawks. However, I'd caution falling in love with him based purely on measureables alone. Given guys like this, I'm frankly glad Schneider is the one making the call and I'm not.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
hawknation2015":20sci3zk said:
He did the "Odell Beckham catch" before Beckham.

[youtube]lvW0WVtnjX0[/youtube]

Conley and Kevin White have blown up the combine so far.

Kris Durham (another former Georgia Bulldog) came to the Seahawks with a fairly impressive looking highlight reel as well ...
[youtube]Jphhv_vzEfc[/youtube]

And Braylon Edwards (another former Seahawk) also once made a 1 handed catch ...
[youtube]MiGuZviGGCI[/youtube]

I'm not totally dismissing this ... just pointing out that others have had similar feats and then flamed out. A workout like Conley's SHOULD made evaluators go back to the game tape and review their notes ... but I'd trust that tape and what a scout's eyes have seen over the past 4 years far more than these workouts.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
That is true. His agility is also not very impressive -- at the combine or on tape when running routes.

Conley might be more of a straight line, go up and get it, kind of receiver.

OP
OP
EMTHawkfan

EMTHawkfan

Reaction score
And it's been proven that the scouts can be way off too. Arguments can be made both ways. I think what's missing here is that it was pointed out he was blowing up the combine that's all. He had a helluva workout, even set some records. Who knows what round he'll be drafted in but he clearly helped himself.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
EMTHawkfan":13ydyurv said:
And it's been proven that the scouts can be way off too. Arguments can be made both ways. I think what's missing here is that it was pointed out he was blowing up the combine that's all. He had a helluva workout, even set some records. Who knows what round he'll be drafted in but he clearly helped himself.

It's sort of rare to see such a freakish disparity between having an elite vertical, 40, bench, and broad jump and then having one of the slowest short shuttles (4.30).

There's a pretty drastic difference between a 4.30 and the 4.14 short shuttle that Kevin White ran.

But again, you're right that those other times are extraordinary. Steady, but not altogether productive, at Georgia. Conley is an enigma.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
Senior stats:
Catches 36
yards 657
AVG 18.3
TDs 8

Obviously the catches and yards by themselves aren't anything to brad about but 18.3 average and 8 TDs on 36 catches shows he is explosive. This was also on a team that threw for less then 200 yards a game and averaged less than 25 throws a game. This same team averaged almost 40 rushing attempts a game.

I am not saying he for sure was limited, strickly by the system he was in or not having a good QB but maybe he looked good when he did get his chances. If you combine that with his explosive potential and off the charts athletic ability shown at the combine maybe he is much better than his stats show?

At the very least he should be worth a lot closer look into why his production wasn't that great.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
EMTHawkfan":1z7t12e8 said:

Agreed with everything you said. Don't get me wrong, I'm intrigued for sure. Definitely Conley opened some eyes for sure today. In the end though, I just see Conley being more of a late round pick (late 6th-7th Round or even a UDFA). And that's not to say he won't ultimately turn out to be a good NFL caliber WR. Marques Colston wasn't drafted until the 7th Round -- he's had a very good career. Shannon Sharpe (arguably the greatest TE in the history of the NFL) was a 7th Rounder as well. Our own Angry Doug Baldwin was an UDFA. I'd say things have worked out fairly well for him. If I'm Schneider, I'd be intrigued by how Conley performed at the Combine today. Will Conley end up a Seahawk? We'll have to see.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3lem0jw9 said:
EMTHawkfan":3lem0jw9 said:

Agreed with everything you said. Don't get me wrong, I'm intrigued for sure. Definitely Conley opened some eyes for sure today. In the end though, I just see Conley being more of a late round pick (late 6th-7th Round or even a UDFA). And that's not to say he won't ultimately turn out to be a good NFL caliber WR. Marques Colston wasn't drafted until the 7th Round -- he's had a very good career. Shannon Sharpe (arguably the greatest TE in the history of the NFL) was a 7th Rounder as well. Our own Angry Doug Baldwin was an UDFA. I'd say things have worked out fairly well for him. If I'm Schneider, I'd be intrigued by how Conley performed at the Combine today. Will Conley end up a Seahawk? We'll have to see.

With a 4.35 40 and 45'' vert, someone will almost certainly reach on him before that. I would even advocate taking him at the end of the 4th Round, depending on the other prospects available.