Would You Take A Chance On This Guy?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Dorial Green-Beckham?

I'm seeing his name come up a lot in mock drafts that have Seattle taking him. He has had all kinds of off-field problems, which is why he is going to fall to the late 1st round or 2nd round. I'd be surprised if he falls as far as the 3rd round. If not for the off-field problems, he would probably be a top 10 pick. Physically, he is an absolute monster. Has the Julio Jones/Calvin Johnson type of body.

I have family back in Missouri, and this kid has been a phenom since he was basically in middle school. My cousin who used to watch his HS games has been telling me about him for years, saying he is the best young WR he has ever seen, and some good kids have come out of the state of Missouri.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
This needs to be in the Draft Forum.....BUT, Yes, I think he's worth the risk.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Hell yeah I would. Thats the #1 guy I want us to draft but for some reason I doubt he slips to 31.

drrew

Reaction score
I really like the talent and the size is off the charts, but the off field stuff keeps me away. Drugs at his age don't concern me, but assaulting women is too much and I'd rather they stay away.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I would absolutely take a chance on this guy. He has unbelievable physical ability - speed, size, length. Probably a top 5 pick without the off the field issues.

The combine and the weeks ahead are huge for Green-Beckham. He has to be able to prove that all of the off the field stuff is WAY behind him. But the problem for Seahawk fans, the more that he proves the off-field issues are no longer issues, the higher he will float up draft boards. He has already jumped up a number of boards recently.

Huge upside and very high ceiling - very much worth the risk

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1wa5uomx said:
He screams knucklehead to me.

Pass.

Yet you love Lynch? I don't get it.

I say he screams just what we need... Hope he is there at our pick:

Hawks46

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":h2sya6je said:
onanygivensunday":h2sya6je said:

Pass.

That's a facile comparison at best. Lynch is quirky, and was a bit of a knucklehead earlier in his career, but he's done nothing since he's been with us to cost him any playing time. Lynch has stayed on the field.

You want a proper comparison ? Josh Gordon. All the talent in the world. He could be the best pure WR in the league. Hell, look who he's had throwing to him, and who lines up opposite of him. Who's Cleveland's #2 WR again ? Has all that done any good ? Gordon can't say on the field, so it doesn't help the Browns out at all.

If Beckam Green can't pull his head out of his ass long enough to stay on the field, it won't do any team any good that drafts him. Plus, he doesn't even know how to run routes. He's a project.

With all the contracts we have to write coming up, we HAVE to start hitting on starting caliber talent in the draft to make up for guys we're going to have to start letting go. We saw the difference this year in what depth and role players can do....just one more guy that could contribute and we're not relying on that last play to win a SB. What have we done with our 1st round picks the last 3-4 years ?

We have to quit pissing away our 1st round picks. Piss away a 3rd rounder, but not our first. We need our 1st rounders to start contributing so we don't have to keep relying on guys like Carpenter, Kearse, and Willson to be consistent performers.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
4.49 & 4.50 40 times today. Blazing for 6'5" 237.
Originally I thought he'd be there at 31, but someone will roll the dice before then. SF, perhaps?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If he's there at 31, all day. All day long. I write that down without an ounce of hesitation, unless Gurley or Gordon are there.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SeahawksBMX":3avd99re said:
Originally I thought he'd be there at 31, but someone will roll the dice before then. SF, perhaps?
Kansas City if someone better isn't at #18. If he were at #31 that would be an easy choice for me to take the risk.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hawks46":13drf1mk said:
ImTheScientist":13drf1mk said:
onanygivensunday":13drf1mk said:

Pass.

That's a facile comparison at best. Lynch is quirky, and was a bit of a knucklehead earlier in his career, but he's done nothing since he's been with us to cost him any playing time. Lynch has stayed on the field.
You just proved his point...

chris98251

Reaction score
Kid kind of screams self distruct.

Gets in trouble can't play, transfers to the Sooners, doesn't play a down declares for the draft, so his word and the time the Okies spent getting him there wasted.

Lynch may have had a few issues, but his word and trustworthiness isn't one of them.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Just for those unfamiliar with the details of the "knuckle-headedness":

DGB was arrested with 4 other players (2 of whom were later released) for marijuana possession. Less than 2 weeks later, his charge was reduced to trespassing, as the car they were parked in was on campus property, near the stadium. That was wake-up call opportunity #1.

15 months later, DGB was arrested in his hometown of Springfield, MO with 1 pound of weed. That's more than $5,000 street value and implies dealing. He was originally facing possession with intent to distribute, but he was released pending further investigation. Wake-up call opportunity #2.

3 months after that he forced his way into a woman's apartment, shoved another woman down some stairs, and dragged his girlfriend outside by her neck. DGB avoided burglary and multiple assault charges because his girlfriend refused to cooperate with police and implored the other woman to not press charges.

He was dismissed from the team at Mizzou, then committed to Oklahoma. Then he left that school before playing a down to go pro.

The totality of his college career includes 25 games with 87 catches, 1278 yards (14.7 ypc), with 17 TDs in a spread offense.

Those are the facts, everyone can judge for themselves. I don't need choir boys, but this guy has made mistakes well beyond being "young and dumb." I don't know him, so I can't determine whether he has what it takes to truly turn his behavior around. I have no way of knowing if he's mentally capable and disciplined enough to hone his craft for success in the NFL. But my gut says he's a huge project who has made it this far on physical gifts alone. That, combined with a history of illegal activity and inability and/or refusal to learn from his mistakes, plus breaking his word to OU, has me voting no.

If our FO, after meeting him and doing their homework, decides he is worth the risk, I'll give the benefit of the doubt and hope he adopts the philosophies, positive attitudes, and professionalism of Pete, Russell, Earl, and so many others. I love a good redemption story. But as of now, I don't see him as a Seahawk.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":vpgic4la said:
SeahawksBMX":vpgic4la said:
Kansas City if someone better isn't at #18. If he were at #31 that would be an easy choice for me to take the risk.

I think KC is going to address WR in free agency personally.

The 49ers are a definite possibility though.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
chris98251":g1cnk0q9 said:
Kid kind of screams self distruct.

Gets in trouble can't play, transfers to the Sooners, doesn't play a down declares for the draft, so his word and the time the Okies spent getting him there wasted.

Lynch may have had a few issues, but his word and trustworthiness isn't one of them.

The Sooners thing wasn't DGB's fault though.. that was the fun doing of the NCAA. I get that his checkered past with the domestic violence issue and weed makes people uneasy.. but that's also the only reason he'd make it to 31 in the first place. If he were clean and not a "risk" .. he's in the conversation to be the first WR drafted.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I still don't understand the DGB hype. He had a very underwhelming combine, in every regard, outside of his 4.49 40-yard dash. The most disturbing part, at least in my eyes, was it looked as if there was no fire or passion in anything he did. I can just see the LOB eating him alive and him folding like a lawn chair.

There are so many other WRs that intrigue me more than DGB.