Devin Funchess... WOW

ivotuk

Reaction score
Devin Funchess = 20 drops.

Amazing talent, can juke you out of your shorts, but hands of stone. I get the impression he's afraid of getting hit.

I have a feeling this guy is going to be a bust. When I first saw him, I thought he was phenomenal, a guy that big with those kind of moves. So I thought "how can anyone rank him 5th or lower in the WR ranking?" Then I watched him for a while longer and the inconsistencies started leaping out.

Something about him is not kosher.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Looks like a 43 inch vertical. He is 6'5 so that is 77 inches. Rim is 120 inches. His head looks like it's right at the hoop. 120-77=43.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1q5pezmx said:
Looks like a 43 inch vertical. He is 6'5 so that is 77 inches. Rim is 120 inches. His head looks like it's right at the hoop. 120-77=43.

I doubt he can do it from a standing jump.

As to his drops, I think they're fixable. His hands are no worse than a guy like Benjamin's and I think Funchess can be every bit as good and better. He catches with his hands, not his body, which is always more promising and some of the drops may be a result of him being scared to get hit but he's also been accused of having a lackadaisical attitude in the past. Supposedly turned it around this year and became more of a leader in the locker room but the drops were still there.

No excuse for them really but I've heard Pete say he considers that kind of thing coachable; I guess it's why Willson and Kearse still played a pretty big role this year. Plus Funchess is one of the youngest guys coming out this year, he'll still be 20 years old at the rookie-mini camp. He should be as coachable and impressionable as anyone in the draft.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":28pi1nhs said:
seahawkfreak":28pi1nhs said:

As to his drops, I think they're fixable. His hands are no worse than a guy like Benjamin's and I think Funchess can be every bit as good and better. He catches with his hands, not his body, which is always more promising and some of the drops may be a result of him being scared to get hit but he's also been accused of having a lackadaisical attitude in the past. Supposedly turned it around this year and became more of a leader in the locker room but the drops were still there.

No excuse for them really but I've heard Pete say he considers that kind of thing coachable; I guess it's why Willson and Kearse still played a pretty big role this year. Plus Funchess is one of the youngest guys coming out this year, he'll still be 20 years old at the rookie-mini camp. He should be as coachable and impressionable as anyone in the draft.

Do you see him moving over to WR or being an Jimmy Graham type TE (i.e. mainly receiving threat, not much blocking) ?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":e4b64qm6 said:
SomersetHawk":e4b64qm6 said:
seahawkfreak":e4b64qm6 said:

Do you see him moving over to WR or being an Jimmy Graham type TE (i.e. mainly receiving threat, not much blocking) ?

I could certainly see him in that type of role. I think the Seahawks are looking for a guy who can go out wide and own the redline ala Chris Matthews in the Super Bowl. Don't see much of that at all on Funchess's tape. The more I watch, the less I think the Seahawks are looking at him.

At this stage Funchess is probably as much of a sure thing as a guy like Dezmin Lewis at the next level. Funchess's ceiling is much higher of course, but Lewis could be had on the third day, has shown an ability to own the sidelines in college, and his hands are some of the best I've seen on the limited tape out there. There'll be more 'sure things' available at #31 (or trade back) that probably have the hungrier attitude we look for. Lots of ability, enough risk to look elsewhere though, imo.