Do we draft a QB?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I say yes.

With the talk of BJ Daniels being a WR convert, we have a space for a 3rd stringer.

TJax isnt getting any younger and we could potentially have a small but not insignificant saving by having someone on a rookie deal for a few seasons.

We also have a boat load of draft picks.

He doesnt seem to fit our style of play but I wonder about Sean Mannion. I think he could become a decent pocket passer given time. A nice change of pace to RW.

Anyone have any othet thoughts on will they / who / where in the draft they look at a QB?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
change of pace? I don't get that. Russ will be starting here for 10 years, the backup QB doesn't matter and they would never in a thousand years want a change of pace to Russ.

Some of you bros way overthink things.

I doubt BJ Daniels plays wr next year for this team.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
It surely can't hurt for the opposition to potentially have to scheme for a different style of QB should the worst happen?

It can't hurt to have a decent cheap back up that could hold trade potential either?

If Daniels is being considered for WR it surely means he isnt being considered for QB anymore, irrespective of whether he makes it onto the team or not.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1jcxe9qu said:
If Daniels is being considered for WR it surely means he isnt being considered for QB anymore, irrespective of whether he makes it onto the team or not.

The more you can do eh? I guess he'd still be the 3rd backup, can't have enough versatile players creating extra roster spots.

I guess the question is do you go get another backup in the draft/UDFA, or do you spend about $300k more on keeping TJ, who knows the system and can do a solid if unspectacular job should the unthinkable happen?

We'll have to move on from T-Jack eventually so whether this year or next year it would make sense to bring someone in if we don't view BJ as the guy.

I could see us keeping TJ personally, whilst throwing a bunch of cheap no-names at the wall hoping something sticks.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I say no. This year we learned the value of having Tukuafu, a single player who can fill the role of FB, a rarely used position, and fill in on the D-line. If Daniels can handle both, I am more than for him serving as a 4th-5th WR and backup WR.

Rat

Reaction score
Maybe. I wouldn't go into the draft saying "we need to take a QB", but if a good one is available past the first three rounds, I don't see why not.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Too many needs elsewhere for me. Plus I'm not sold on this draft class for QBs.

Hawks46

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2mo8wevw said:
change of pace? I don't get that. Russ will be starting here for 10 years, the backup QB doesn't matter and they would never in a thousand years want a change of pace to Russ.

So you're saying that Wilson will never get injured ?

You know, the back up QB comes in because the starter got hurt, right ? Jackson is a damned good back up, but the team might look to get cheaper with the way Russ has show how durable he is. Then again, Russ has also been a bit dinged up here and there, the team just hides it well. If you don't miss practice, you don't have to report it.

I know I was being sarcastic, but personally, I don't think you screw around with the back up QB position much. It's one of those things that you hope you never need, and when your starter goes down, becomes the absolute most important position on the team.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Hawks46":2vvqk5p5 said:
ImTheScientist":2vvqk5p5 said:

You know, the back up QB comes in because the starter got hurt, right ? Jackson is a damned good back up, but the team might look to get cheaper with the way Russ has show how durable he is. Then again, Russ has also been a bit dinged up here and there, the team just hides it well. If you don't miss practice, you don't have to report it.

I know I was being sarcastic, but personally, I don't think you screw around with the back up QB position much. It's one of those things that you hope you never need, and when your starter goes down, becomes the absolute most important position on the team.

How much do other top teams invest in a backup?
Nuff said

netskier

Reaction score
How much in today's dollars did SF pay Steve Young to backup Joe Montana? That is what I consider a good backup, adequate to build a dynasty.

Hawks46

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2o1y17au said:
Hawks46":2o1y17au said:
ImTheScientist":2o1y17au said:

How much do other top teams invest in a backup?
Nuff said

Well, NE has invested a few draft picks at the position, Garropolo was what, a 4th rounder ? Houston has invested some. Denver grabbed Osweiler in the 2nd. Personally, if you don't have a decent veteran on your squad, I think you're stupid not to invest at least a 4th rounder on it.

Then you have GB, who at one point was drafting QBs, developing them, then trading them for draft picks. That was actually a cornerstone of their drafting strategy.

I'd bet you'd be surprised how many draft picks are invested in back up QBs. It's a hard position and I honestly couldn't tell you how many draft picks San Diego, KC, Minnesota, Houston or Jacksonville have thrown at the backup (and starting) QB spots and then cut bait, only to either redraft or grab a FA to improve the quality of their backup. I know they could draft a guy in the 4th, let him play for a year, cut him, draft another guy in the 3rd, and sit him.......I'd never even register it.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
If this team wants to go to SB this year, this is not the time to start developing a guy out of college as primary backup. Doesn't make any sense at all. Injuries in the NFL are a real possibility. With the team we have , we need a solid veteran, who can jump in and win right now, if needed. We can always grab guys like Keith Price, or Terell Pryor off the street. These guys have been in the system.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I say wait and pick up RG3 on the cheap after his implosion in Washington continues. :stirthepot:

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/578364403323555840[/tweet]

Might be time to get watching the tape?

Largent80

Reaction score
Hard one to gauge for me. I guess if they re-sign TJ! then NO, but it appears they are either waiting or are letting him sniff some mules elsewhere.

If he doesn't sign then obviously we would see who is there and do it. As was stated before, this draft is void of very many developemental QB's.

McGruff

Reaction score
The Seahawks have visited with Alabama QB Blake Sims, a short, athletically QB with good college numbers. When you watch his tape you can't help but think of Wilson. He scrambles, but he's always looking downfield when he does.

Seafan

Reaction score
I expect an UDFA QB or two will be brought to camp. The kid from K-State perhaps.

sc85sis

Reaction score
McGruff":2lb5arhl said:
The Seahawks have visited with Alabama QB Blake Sims, a short, athletically QB with good college numbers. When you watch his tape you can't help but think of Wilson. He scrambles, but he's always looking downfield when he does.

Pete can undoubtedly get some additional scouting info on Sims from Lane Kiffin, too. I could see the Hawks drafting him. I don't know that he's consistent enough to be a starter right now, so getting picked to be a backup behind a guy like Russell could be a very good thing for Blake.

Latest posts