Senior Bowl

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I haven't been able to watch any of the practices but reports have Danny Shelton as the most impressive defensive lineman there. Kikaha has also impressed some with his work.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Owa Odighizuwa
Carl Davis
Nate Orchard
Danny Shelton

These prospects seem to be separating themselves from the pack. Shelton has shown a lot and gets a lot of 'good jobs' from the staff. He is showing a lack of conditioning which has been a criticism of his during the year. I expect there is a fair bit to that, as well as a fair bit of confirmation bias amongst some observers there.

Shelton really looks like a physical freak kind of prospect there. His calves are like offensive linemen's thighs. He looks huge, and is playing with significant burst. It does appear that he loses that burst as practices wear on. But he doesn't appear to be losing his substantial strength.

The practices and team drills have kind of been 1 on 1 type affairs. So you're not getting pounded with double teams etc. Shelton didn't have issues anchoring during the year. In fact, he was splendid at that.

Honestly, I'd have to say that he's flashing significant talent. Conditioning is definitely something that can be easily addressed at the next level. Whether it's by a pro conditioning program, or if it's just through a healthy DT rotation. These days, teams already rotate guys in heavily. Shelton is showing that he can be a player who can play any of the 3 downs.

It's conventional groupthink to devalue run stuffer DTs. I see Shelton as having more ability than that. He's a guy who can physically overpower his opponent and collapse a pocket. He doesn't have length, so that might not put him on Seattle's radar. He doesn't demonstrate real good use of his hands at this point. I do think that if he were to acquire that skill, he would be very unique.

He's going to be an excellent base DT in this league. And a very good run stuffing DT day 1. I see him confirming that this week. Although I do think he's going to be best in a good DT rotation.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Shelton is the a total match for what the Seahawks could use in their DT rotation. Just imagine a line with Shelton and Mebane especially in short yardage situations. The question is does he drop that far in the draft? I don't think so.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The way Shelton looked in the practices, there is no way he drops to 31/32. He was flat dominating.

That could either speak to Shelton's skillset or the lack of talent on the offensive line for this senior class.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2fzrielb said:
Weird that Shelton flashed in practice, but has been neutralized during the game.
I've tried to keep an eye on him. Every time I look for him he's either double-teamed or held.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Watching the game, it looks like a lot of top talent didn't even go to this game. It used to be the top sr wanted to play in this game, now it seems more like they are to concerned with it hurting their draft stock.

That said, the corner from Miami of Ohio ( Quentin Rollins) looks like a guy who could be a late round pick

EMTHawkfan

Reaction score
These games seem to always be awful.

On a side note, personally I wouldn't want anything to do with Sammie Coates. I kept hearing about this speed but it looked like he played slow to me. Hands are a question mark, didn't seem to be much fight in the dog either....no thanks

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
EMTHawkfan":3hedmm6m said:
These games seem to always be awful.

On a side note, personally I wouldn't want anything to do with Sammie Coates. I kept hearing about this speed but it looked like he played slow to me. Hands are a question mark, didn't seem to be much fight in the dog either....no thanks
I watch more for individual performances than team play. And Coates was dealing with a groin issue today so it's not surprising that he looked off.

bubbrubb

Reaction score
Yes, Tyler Varga from Yale showed very well! I went to school in Ontario and remember him DOMINATING canadian university football more so than Jesse Lumsden. Varga is a work horse, would love to see Seahawks pick him up. A copy of Beast Mode...great pass protector on PAs, great hands, would fit system well.

City Of Reign

Reaction score
CPHawk":1mti7495 said:
Watching the game, it looks like a lot of top talent didn't even go to this game. It used to be the top sr wanted to play in this game, now it seems more like they are to concerned with it hurting their draft stock.

That said, the corner from Miami of Ohio ( Quentin Rollins) looks like a guy who could be a late round pick

I'm totally with you, this kid really intrigues me. He's just starting and he's looks really impressive for his amount of playing time. Get hims some reps and some knowledge from the LOB and I think this kid would be awesome.