My early draft crush: Maxx Williams (TE)

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
A play maker who can provide a big target in the red-zone and over the middle for Russell should be high on the Seahawks list of needs. The bonus is if that player is a tight end who can also pass and run block.

Max Williams can be that player. The closest player comparison I've heard and agree with is Jason Witten. Who wouldn't want that for the next 10 years to match with Wilson?

Williams is a dynamic pass-catching tight end that just so happens to be a great blocker because he comes from a running school. So the match-up nightmare in the passing game won’t have to leave the field, giving opposing teams an idea of what’s coming. But in the passing game, he can get vertical, go over the middle and has excellent body control to make any kind of catch.

He’s strong, fast, runs good routes and knows what to do with it after the catch as it takes more than one to bring him down. So with no areas of his game in need of development any more than another, Williams is ready to do it at the next level. And knowing he would be the first tight end taken off the board should make him want to go ahead and enter the 2015 NFL draft.
http://withthefirstpick.com/2014/12/11/ ... nfl-draft/

[youtube]AmZp3lwjilo[/youtube]

[youtube]sdSF-jUzQTc[/youtube]

vs Iowa (2014) - 3 TD performance w/ two amazing catches
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ap5d ... 2014_sport

He was a finalist for the Mackey award (the nation's best college TE) and has a career 12 TDs in 54 receptions, averaging over 16 yards a catch. If he declares I think he's drafted somewhere in the 2nd rd.

Watch his highlights and tell me what you think.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Yep, I really like this guy, and the fact he'd in all likelihood be the first TE off the board will make it tempting for him to declare. I'd previously ruled it out considering he's a redshirt sophomore, but I think there's a much better case for guys declaring early now, and he's not one of those with questionmarks who's going to fall.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3dfo5oxf said:
Yep, I really like this guy, and the fact he'd in all likelihood be the first TE off the board will make it tempting for him to declare. I'd previously ruled it out considering he's a redshirt sophomore, but I think there's a much better case for guys declaring early now, and he's not one of those with questionmarks who's going to fall.

I agree. When you're the first player off the board at your position it's hard to pass that up. What do you think the chances he sneaks into the back end of round 1 if he declares?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":242vhvdh said:
SomersetHawk":242vhvdh said:

I agree. When you're the first player off the board at your position it's hard to pass that up. What do you think the chances he sneaks into the back end of round 1 if he declares?

Hard to say but I think right now he's a solid round two pick. If he blows up the combine then it's certainly possible to think he'll go in the 1st.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This guy looks very good but I have a feeling that PC/JS are feeling good about their TE situation going into next year. They'll probably bring Helfet and Moeaki back for next year, maybe even McCoy to compete. Already have Willson and Miller. This may not be a year they look at TEs. If they do, then this guy is worthy of consideration for sure.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1vna3z8x said:
This guy looks very good but I have a feeling that PC/JS are feeling good about their TE situation going into next year. They'll probably bring Helfet and Moeaki back for next year, maybe even McCoy to compete. Already have Willson and Miller. This may not be a year they look at TEs. If they do, then this guy is worthy of consideration for sure.

Zach Miller is coming back from injury and is not as popular with the front office as he used to be (if being asked to take a pay cut is proof of that).

Anthony McCoy hasn't played a snap in two years.

Moeaki is an injury prone, street FA pickup, dealing with an injury now.

Willson's been inconsistent. Still a project.

Adding to that, they inquired about 3 tight ends when shopping Percy Harvin (Jordan Cameron, Julius Thomas, and Coby Fleener) and was rumored to really like Jace Amero last draft, even after signing back McCoy.

On paper, the tight end group is pretty below average. If they don't add to it in FA I think they position themselves in the draft to grab a tight end they like.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Williams with a ridiculous play in the Citrus Bowl. I'd take him. That is what a NATURALLY athletic TE looks like.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1xqs2gch said:
Williams with a ridiculous play in the Citrus Bowl. I'd take him. That is what a NATURALLY athletic TE looks like.

He's going to be a stud at the next level. If Minnesota was a pass heavy team he'd be a lock to go first round. He might not have Eric Ebron's type of athleticism but the game is much more natural to him. He makes everything look easy. His hands are glue, he's got confidence to make a leaping grab in the endzone or leap over a safety for a TD and he blocks well.

Prototypical tight end's aren't the sexists pick, but in a run first, play-action offense that Seattle runs he'd make the same or even more of an impact than a first round receiver could because he affects the game in all aspects, not just passing.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2z9q3m5l said:
Seanhawk":2z9q3m5l said:

He's going to be a stud at the next level. If Minnesota was a pass heavy team he'd be a lock to go first round. He might not have Eric Ebron's type of athleticism but the game is much more natural to him. He makes everything look easy. His hands are glue, he's got confidence to make a leaping grab in the endzone or leap over a safety for a TD and he blocks well.

Prototypical tight end's aren't the sexists pick, but in a run first, play-action offense that Seattle runs he'd make the same or even more of an impact than a first round receiver could because he affects the game in all aspects, not just passing.

I know plenty of sexists who like tight ends, whether they're into play-action or not.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

It's a shame that Williams is part of such a poor TE class. Over the past few years it's likely he'd have been a later second day pick. If we want him he'll probably cost us our first pick, and I'm not entirely sure we can justify that with our other needs.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":fptgq0fb said:
Recon_Hawk":fptgq0fb said:
Seanhawk":fptgq0fb said:

I know plenty of sexists who like tight ends, whether they're into play-action or not.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

It's a shame that Williams is part of such a poor TE class. Over the past few years it's likely he'd have been a later second day pick. If we want him he'll probably cost us our first pick, and I'm not entirely sure we can justify that with our other needs.

But, if we win it all again, I don't see how you can seriously define anything as a "need". And unless I'm missing something, this team does not have a good and healthy tight end right now.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2e8dntjg said:
Recon_Hawk":2e8dntjg said:
Seanhawk":2e8dntjg said:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I guess this New Year hangover isn't helping my spelling ;)

I think we'll have a better idea what the needs of this team are after free agency. I might be in the minority but a play making tight end ranks as high on the list of needs as a big wide receiver.

With Williams he could be that security blanket for Russell that's been missing. While I think he'll be a great pro, I probably won't be arguing to take him in the first round, but that all depends on who is in the board ahead of him. If the team really likes him, they may approach it as they did last year Paul Richardson. He's a mid 2nd rd pick IMO but if the right player doesn't fall to #32 and the team can't trade back, he could be the name on the card .

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":qnryn5j2 said:
SomersetHawk":qnryn5j2 said:
Recon_Hawk":qnryn5j2 said:
Seanhawk":qnryn5j2 said:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

But, if we win it all again, I don't see how you can seriously define anything as a "need". And unless I'm missing something, this team does not have a good and healthy tight end right now.

There'll be more ifs than 'if' we win it all. What if we cut Okung or plan to after next year, this is as strong an O-line class as we've had in a couple of years, that's a definite area for improvement. What if Marshawn goes? What if Gurley falls to us, what if we like Coleman? What if we rate a WR higher?

Don't get me wrong I think TE is a need, and I've liked Maxx Williams for a little while. But I also think it's very possible there'll be better players available at other positions of need.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Have they changed the rules? Can a Freshman now declare for the NFL? I know Crabtree was an issue a few years back. I dont know which is why I ask. Thanks for the response when it comes...Go Hawks.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":wjsn7w9h said:
Have they changed the rules? Can a Freshman now declare for the NFL? I know Crabtree was an issue a few years back. I dont know which is why I ask. Thanks for the response when it comes...Go Hawks.

He's a redshirt sophomore, so essentially a Junior who sat out a year. Redshirt sophomores are the earliest draftable players. Technically Williams has two more years of eligibility but given he's the best draftable TE prospect it makes a lot of sense to declare now.

lukerguy

Reaction score
yup.

I think Elite TE fits much better in our power run scheme than elite WR does.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
He looked really good, I would like to see his combine numbers. I still believe Luke Wilson is just starting to tap his true potential. I would be very happy to draft Maxx if we know Miller is done here, him, Willson and Helfet would be a lethel group.

I would love to find some big reliable targets for Wilson to improve his stats.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":23wsfrr4 said:
yup.

I think Elite TE fits much better in our power run scheme than elite WR does.

I'm of the complete opposite mind. Although I'd like to hear your reasoning on this.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I like him. Also in the later rounds I like the TE from Oklahoma. Blake Bell.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Not seen him make a single bad play in three games. No bad snap.

Doesn't drop passes, executes his blocks, flashes the big plays. There's an awful lot to like here.

Judging his stock is incredibly difficult. Minnesota's run heavy offense doesn't help matters because you're left wondering what he could be in a more open and balanced scheme. How much of an athlete is he? Again it's not obvious. The spectacular plays hint at underrated athleticism, but overall on tape you wouldn't say he's faster than the average TE. He doesn't have amazing size at around 6-4 and 250lbs. Nobody will mistake him for a Gronk or Graham. He's very much of the Zach Miller style rather than the freakish modern day TE.

He got a third round grade from the draft committee and that's usually a conservative estimate. So he's probably a second rounder. With a good combine he could sneak into the first but he'd need to perform well there.

Easy prospect to like. Just doesn't make bad plays, very reliable with the ability to make big plays too. I suspect wherever he goes he'll provide a solid if not always spectacular long term TE option. Very coachable and doesn't even turn 21 until just before the draft.

Latest posts