Top position needs heading into 2019 draft

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
What positional needs would you like to see Seattle address in the draft this year, with limited capital?

As a reminder, we currently have 4 picks in the 2019 draft. Round 1, 3, 4, 5.

I think the only appropriate thing to do with pick R1/32 (since Seattle will win the Super Bowl) would be to trade it down for additional capital later in the draft. Slipping to R2 to recoup at least picks in R6/R7. The top third of R2 should still have some edge pass rushing talent, as this draft is absolutely loaded with pass rushers. Pick the best one there and move on. Names to consider in the range are Oshane Ximines out of Old Dominion, as well as Jachai Polite out of Florida. Ximines displays great hand usage and has some nasty moves, while Polite has a mean first-step and a high-motor that can drive him to the QB. I'm high on both.

Another scenario could be finding ourselves in a position to stick and pick Deionte Thompson as our new FS, while making a big run at Jadeveon Clowney. ;) I see this as an unlikely scenario however. Speaking of FS:

Next, for me, would be loading the secondary with talent and depth. The number one thing on my list is a safety capable of playing ET's role. Now, finding a safety as good as he is will probably be entirely impossible unless he is re-signed. I'd throw money at him, as he pushes the defense to a higher level.

I think that Jessie Bates III should have been selected last year over Penny. He went 27 picks later to Cincinnati, and has absolutely balled out. I think he would've been supremely useful this season, and far higher above replacement-level than Rashaad Penny has been. Now, am I low on Penny? No - I think he'll be good, but Bates would been huge.

I digress - what's done is done. We still need depth at safety. There probably isn't a true centerfielder outside of possibly Thompson, but I haven't researched much yet. Marvell Tell III from USC was on my board, but I have serious concerns about his effort on the field - same as I did with Obi Melifonwu. Not a good tackler, waits for contact rather than initiating it.

I'm from Delaware, and I'm a huge homer, so I'd like to present one Nasir Adderley for your consideration. Name sound familiar? It is. Nasir is the cousin of Hall of Famer Herb Adderley. CamanoIslandJQ, the MVP of the NCAA forum, beat me to the punch on this one and you should read his post here: (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=152584)

Nasir is getting big buzz around him as a first-rounder, but in a league where Tre Boston can't get signed for the league minimum until late in the season, I don't see him supplanting Deionte Thompson as safety #1, and I think it's very reasonable he falls to R3 - well within striking distance. I think Nasir is a day 1 starter.

Adding a capable edge rusher, as well as a starter at safety, would be a massive win in a draft where we lack a proper amount of capital. The window is open again, the team is young, and adding talent now is vital to keep that window wedged open as long as possible. Let's hope the picks hit.

HawkGA

Reaction score
One of the things that has baffled me over the last couple of years has been JS trading away draft capital so much.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
HawkGA":252lxcq0 said:
One of the things that has baffled me over the last couple of years has been JS trading away draft capital so much.

Yet still manages to draft bad assets who perform.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I think that's probably a low projection for Polite. I think that the top third of round 2 is more of a range for someone like Winovich.

I love Deionte Thompson, but I'm not sure they'll have a shot at him. I do like Chauncey Gardner in that area after he tests well.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Thanks for the props Maelstrom787. I enjoy beating the bushes for overlooked talent that can be had in the middle to late rounds. I probably put more emphasis on stats than most people here and that's because "potential" to me is "unproven" as apposed to those that perform at exceptional levels that produce actual good stats. The problem with my thinking is that level of competition skews stats and how to strike a balance between the two situations is problematical at best. We, as fans don't have access to a lot of important scouting information, so we have to depend on media scouting reports (which are often cut and paste opinions of only a few scouts) + the "eye test" and also performance stats to try an get an idea about prospects entering the NFL. The post season and combine testing helps identify good players physically, how their skills transfer to the NFL game and their overall mentality (and injury history) are still of some concern.

One consideration I've made in every draft is: Which current Seahawk players (starters or backups) can possibly be beaten out by a draftee? Improvements can be made by draftees anywhere on the roster from top to bottom.

In this coming draft I can easily see a couple of DL'ers beaten out by draftees. In the defensive backfield, obviously I think our current FS Tedrick Thompson is potentially replaceable by the right FS draftee, and if he does well in the post season, Adderley could be an early day-3 target, IF PC/JS think he can pull that off. I'd also like to see a WR replacement for WR-Brown, hopefully a super speedy guy like WR-Andy Isabella with a Rd-3/4 pick. Also, a place kicker would be cool too.

:smilingalien:

massari

Reaction score
Kind of random, but Kareem Hunt is out there and will have to sign for way less than market value for at least a couple more years. It'd be amazing if they can sign him to go with Carson, then trade Penny for a 2nd round pick so they can get one of the glaring needs that is an edge rusher, CB, FS, LG with that pick.

Assuming they let ET go and re-sign Clark, Coleman, KJ, Fant, Fluker, Hunt, Simmons, Jordan, Moore, King, Luani:

Top 5 needs:

DE
CB
FS
LG
LB

kobebryant

Reaction score
massari":37puf4c8 said:
Kind of random, but Kareem Hunt is out there and will have to sign for way less than market value for at least a couple more years. It would be amazing if they can sign Hunt to go with Carson, then trade Penny for a 2nd round pick so they can pick-up one of the glaring needs that is an edge rusher, CB or FS with that pick.

All that assuming they re-sign Clark, Coleman, KJ, Kendricks, Jordan, Fluker, Sweezy and let ET go.

I don't see a need for Hunt, RB is a pretty deep position on this team. I also don't think they'd get close to a 2nd for Penny - good RBs can be had for much cheaper than that, see Carson and Lindsey as current examples.

I don't see CB as a glaring need at all, I really like the 4 deep they have right now. Young and athletic with upside.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
I want a true #1 corner. Not sold on Griffin being that guy. Murphy out of UW is who I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getnasty

Reaction score
In this order..
Trade back
Edge Rusher
Safety
LB
OL
CB
PK
OL

We're not a super deep team this year and a lot of what they do depends on free agency. Hopefully we can keep the OL in tack and get a deal done with Clark. Regardless unless they think Jacob Martin is the next Cliff Avril I hope we grab a DE early, Greene seems like more of a run stopping DE on early down that can move inside on pass downs too me.

purpleneer

Reaction score
I'm not of the mind that the low number of picks is a problem, or at least that there's any benefit this year to adding anything in R6/R7 (what you could add with small tradedowns). This team is loaded right now with young guys drafted or UDFA recently and volume isn't the way to help right now.
The team should always be flexible with the high picks, but DE is far and away the top need. And they need to quit looking for guys who are a DE on "run downs" but have to move inside on "pass downs."

massari

Reaction score
Still bummed they lost the comp picks from Graham, Sheldon Richardson, Paul Richardson and Luke Willson because of the Dickson, Jaron Brown, Mingo and Shamar Stephen signings.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I don't like any safety in round 1...bad draft for top end safeties.

Griffin seems to be backsliding a bit...really needs to be coached up. Aside from a minor move in FA, he's playing one of the outside CB positions, with Flowers across from him.

We need DL who can pressure the QB.

We need depth at S (my hunch is that Thompson and Hill will get more PT next year) --- also, why did McDougald look so shy against Dallas? Is it me, or was he bullfighting out there?

CB is a need...I'm thinking someone in the 3rd or 4th round Jamal Peters from Mississippi State is intriguing. Good athlete, quick, big and tall.

OL is a need, especially at G.

Bottom line, not a lot of draft picks, and a TON of holes to fill, especially looking at our impending free agent losses.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think they're going to need to add someone to the WR room as well. Baldwin has hinted at retirement and after Lockett we are really thin. A pass catching TE would really help this offense. Look at what Ertz, Kelcie, Kittle etc add and its a part of the field we don't take much advantage of. Not sure they would invest there again and maybe Dissly can bring a little bit of that as well.

Anyway I see Edge, Oline, CB and WR as needs. It also depends on what they do with KJ and the Kendricks situation.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
austinslater25":1pi5r7dm said:
I think they're going to need to add someone to the WR room as well. Baldwin has hinted at retirement and after Lockett we are really thin. A pass catching TE would really help this offense. Look at what Ertz, Kelcie, Kittle etc add and its a part of the field we don't take much advantage of. Not sure they would invest there again and maybe Dissly can bring a little bit of that as well.

Anyway I see Edge, Oline, CB and WR as needs. It also depends on what they do with KJ and the Kendricks situation.
Gonna be hard to justify drafting a WR within round 1-3 (no current second round pick) with needs at defensive line.

Pete Carroll seems to like late rounds/free agent WRs and developing them for down the road.

Drafted receivers haven't worked out so well other than Tyler.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I don't want to see them address any positional needs via the draft.

I'd rather get a 2nd contract worthy TE that we don't necessarily need than an Ifedi quality 4 year starter at position of need. I'd much rather get a 2nd deal capable MLB than another Bruce Irvin

Seriously, this roster went to crap the moment we stopped getting stars and started filling holes with draft picks. I'd just as soon they draft every year like they have a roster full of Brian Russells. I would have much preferred getting Lamar Jackson in R1 last year than Rashaad Penny. Even if Jackson didn't play a single snap.

Get stars via the draft. Fill needs with generic Michael Willhoite level talents. Stop letting the Lamar Jacksons/Will Hernandezs/Darius Leonards pass you by because you have a short term need for Rashaad Penny. Let go the rigid 'this team needs Malik McDowell' and take a Ryan Ramczyk, Budda Baker, Forrest Lamp, Marcus Williams or Dalvin Cook.

Taking stars maybe a year before you need them is WAY better than taking what's left of the next 2 hours of the current draft. We stopped getting the quality of talent in the 2011-2013 when we stopped drafting like it. And we did that the moment we started "Grading for our team". Instead of taking star draftees when several current positions were within 12 months of being a need. A foreseeable 12 months down the road. It's not like we weren't already breaking up the LOB band. We were trying to trade Sherman in 2017. We knew Chancellor and Thomas were heading out. Just like we know that Wagner is going to be on borrowed time after 2019. We should be on the lookout for Bobby's potential replacement right now.

How long is Baldwin going to be here? We already suspect this draft is going to have good talent at the position between picks 50 and 110. It's not a need yet. But it's going to be quickly. We talk about getting a 'big target' WR. How about a great receiver of any particular flavor. This offense would look pretty good with 3 Baldwins on it.

We should stop trying to mismatch picks from the talent that is on the board. If it's me, I might grade against my team. But pretty much only include grades for QBs/OTs and 1st/2nd year players. Otherwise consider every other starter equally replaceable when it comes to the draft.

Chawker

Reaction score
I'm thinking the biggest need on offense vs the biggest need on defense.

Offense: A productive WR with overall good size and production (Steve Largent type) David Sills 3rd round selection.

Defense: Increase our pass rush ability. Trade down and out of the first round. With our first selection we draft Isaiah Buggs who will take over Michial Bennetts role.

DE Isaiah Buggs 6'5" 290 Ala pick #1

WR David Sills 6'3" 203 W. Virginia pick #2

getnasty

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3ancojl8 said:
I don't want to see them address any positional needs via the draft.

I'd rather get a 2nd contract worthy TE that we don't necessarily need than an Ifedi quality 4 year starter at position of need. I'd much rather get a 2nd deal capable MLB than another Bruce Irvin

Seriously, this roster went to crap the moment we stopped getting stars and started filling holes with draft picks. I'd just as soon they draft every year like they have a roster full of Brian Russells. I would have much preferred getting Lamar Jackson in R1 last year than Rashaad Penny. Even if Jackson didn't play a single snap.

Get stars via the draft. Fill needs with generic Michael Willhoite level talents. Stop letting the Lamar Jacksons/Will Hernandezs/Darius Leonards pass you by because you have a short term need for Rashaad Penny. Let go the rigid 'this team needs Malik McDowell' and take a Ryan Ramczyk, Budda Baker, Forrest Lamp, Marcus Williams or Dalvin Cook.

Taking stars maybe a year before you need them is WAY better than taking what's left of the next 2 hours of the current draft. We stopped getting the quality of talent in the 2011-2013 when we stopped drafting like it. And we did that the moment we started "Grading for our team". Instead of taking star draftees when several current positions were within 12 months of being a need. A foreseeable 12 months down the road. It's not like we weren't already breaking up the LOB band. We were trying to trade Sherman in 2017. We knew Chancellor and Thomas were heading out. Just like we know that Wagner is going to be on borrowed time after 2019. We should be on the lookout for Bobby's potential replacement right now.

How long is Baldwin going to be here? We already suspect this draft is going to have good talent at the position between picks 50 and 110. It's not a need yet. But it's going to be quickly. We talk about getting a 'big target' WR. How about a great receiver of any particular flavor. This offense would look pretty good with 3 Baldwins on it.

We should stop trying to mismatch picks from the talent that is on the board. If it's me, I might grade against my team. But pretty much only include grades for QBs/OTs and 1st/2nd year players. Otherwise consider every other starter equally replaceable when it comes to the draft.

We had a tons of needs last draft that were more pressing then running back. Runnings back can pretty much be found anywhere so drafting Penny while it filled a need they also did it because they think he could be a star. Lamaar Jackson is a joke unless he plans to run the triple option his whole career plus if you drafted him your either never playing him or trading Russell either way not a good plan. If Mcdowell doesnt get hurt whos to say hes not better then everyone on that list?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":uhhkvocr said:

Really?

What perhaps holds water factually is that he more than often trades away first round picks for more picks. However, in terms of pure value ie: what he gets back from his draft picks trades is usually more value in terms of points on the value charts, and of course more picks. JS values more picks over more points and the point score is less important than the draft position move and the acquisition of the extra picks.

If you take into consideration that players often have value in tiers and each team assigns different values to players for various reasons including character, health, length, and various specific athletic factors, speed, long arms, strength, ability to persevere. Many players then have the same value and thus trading back isn’t necessarily bad unless you lose your guy by doing so.

The team has numerous identifiable parameters for positions and frankly they’ve been right a lot in an area where picks are likely best guesses. Is this regular trading down a bad thing? Opinions vary! To me if numerous players are in the same tier and you think you can trade back and acquire more picks and still acquire your targeted player after trading back it’s smart.

None of us know anywhere close to as much about these draftable players. Trader John has had some exceptional successes and sadly a few disasters which perhaps taught them a lesson. There are quite a few players on the present roster acquired from draft pick trades.

I doubt it can be correctly argued factually that JS actually regularly trades away draft capital. I will readily acknowledge the trades for Richardson, Graham and Harvin were dumb trades but each of those has Pete’s fingerprints all over them.

Sure it’s frustrating to never regularly see the team draft a player at their late pick in the first round, but it is exciting to watch the Frank Clark, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Chris Carson, Tre Flowers type picks derived from trades of picks.

This draft I’m curious to see how many picks JS can make from the 4 he has left.

Back to the thread, DE, DT, OLB, S, TE, CB. The team will surprise us though.

Chawker

Reaction score
1. DE
2. DT
3.WR
4. S
5.CB
6.OL
7. LB

It seem our defense needs more help then the offense, yet it would be nice if we landed a bigtime WR for russ to play with. :snack:
Cheers