Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Do Seattle Have a Drafting Problem?

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Do Seattle Have a Drafting Problem?
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:15 am
  • With the importance of the draft to all NFL teams, I wanted to take a closer look at how Seattle has performed in player evaluation and ultimately, player selections in the last few drafts. Many will have you believe it’s been awful and they may be right. Many have said the success from 2010 to 2012 is purely down to Scot McCloughan’s ability to evaluate talent and the Seahawks have just rode the wave of his success. Lets find out if it’s true.

We know the drafting from 2010 to 2012 was elite, like the best 3 years any team has ever drafted elite. So I’m going to focus on 2013 onwards.

I am going to use a baseball analogy to grade each pick. Strike, single, double, triple and home run.  

2013 draft –

Round 2 - Christine Michael                         Single
    Round 3 - Jordan Hill                                    Single
    Round 4 - Chris Harper                                Strike
    Round 5 - Jesse Williams                             Strike
    Round 5 - Tharold Simon                              Single
    Round 5 - Luke Willson                                 Triple
    Round 6 - Spencer Ware,                             Strike
    Round 7 - Ryan Seymour                              Strike
    Round 7 - Ty Powell                                       Strike
    Round 7 - Jared Smith                                   Strike
    Round 7 - Michael Bowie                               Single

Of those players, 3 got cut before the 2013 season got underway, 2 never played in any season, 2 lasted 1 season, 3 lasted 2 seasons, one lasted 4 seasons and was extended for a year.

Strikes – 6
    Singles – 4
    Doubles – 0
    Triples – 1
    Homeruns – 0

Pretty underwhelming as I’m sure you’ll agree. None of the 2013 draft class remain on the roster, although Luke Willson may be resigned.

2014 draft –

Round 2 - Paul Richardson                             Triple
    Round 2 – Justin Britt                                      Homerun
    Round 4 – Cassius Marsh                               Double                       
    Round 4 – Kevin Norwood                              Single
    Round 4 – Kevin Pierre-Louis                         Single
    Round 5 – Jimmy Staten                                 Strike
    Round 6 – Garett Scott                                    Strike
    Round 6 – Eric Pinkins                                    Single
    Round 7 – Kiero Small                                    Strike

Of those players, 2 didn’t play a single season, 1 remains on the roster, 2 lasted 1 season, 1 lasted 2 seasons, 2 lasted 3 seasons, 1 lasted 4 seasons.

Strikes – 3
    Singles – 3
    Doubles – 1
    Triples – 1
    Homeruns – 1

Definitely a subpar draft but certainly better than 2013. Justin Britt is still on the roster and has worked out. Paul Richardson could be classed as a homerun but the fact he wasn’t resigned by the team means I can only value him as a triple. The rest didn’t really provide any value whatsoever in the grand scheme of things.

2015 draft –

Round 2 – Frank Clark                                     Homerun
    Round 3 – Tyler Lockett                                   Triple
    Round 4 - Terry Poole                                      Strike
    Round 4 - Mark Glowinski                               Single
    Round 5 - Tye Smith                                        Single
    Round 6 - Obum Gwacham                            Strike  
    Round 6 - Kristjan Sokoli                                 Strike
    Round 7 - Ryan Murphy                                  Strike

Of those, 2 are still on the roster, 3 didn’t play a single season, 2 played in 1 season, 1 played in 3 seasons.

Strikes – 4
    Singles – 2
    Doubles – 0
    Triples – 1
    Homeruns – 1

You could make arguments either way for the 2015 draft. Getting two solid starters who are both likely to get extensions isn’t bad at all but missing on the other 6 is pretty costly for the team as a whole. “could have done better” rings true here.

2016 draft –

Round 1 – Germain Ifedi                                Double
    Round 2 – Jarran Reed                                  Triple
    Round 3 – C.J. Prosise                                   Double
    Round 3 – Nick Vannett                                  Single
    Round 3 – Rees Odhiambo                            Single
    Round 5 – Quinton Jefferson                          Single
    Round 5 – Alex Collins                                    Strike (for the Seahawks at least!)     
    Round 6 – Joey Hunt                                      Single             
    Round 7 – Kenny Lawler                                Strike
    Round 7 – Zac Brooks                                    Strike

7 are still on the roster, 1 didn’t play a single season & 2 lasted a single season

Strikes – 3
    Singles – 4
    Doubles – 1
    Triples – 1
    Homeruns - 0

This is where it gets a bit harder to evaluate given each player has only been in the league for 2 seasons and may still be learning. For now I am giving them what I’d class as a fair grade given how they have performed to date, but some could easily see their grades increase this season dependant on how they perform. Ifedi, Prosise and Vannett are all players who could see big jumps in performance this season.

I’d say this draft is ‘to be confirmed’ however I don’t envision any homeruns. Jarran Reed seems the only possibility but he seems like a prime candidate that played well but will not be offered a second contract by the team.

2017 draft –

Round 2 – Malik McDowell                            Strike
    Round 2 – Ethan Pocic                                  Double
    Round 3 – Shaquill Griffin                              Triple
    Round 3 – Delano Hill                                    Single
    Round 3 – Nazair Jones                                Triple
    Round 3 – Amara Darboh                              Single
    Round 4 – Tedric Thompson                          Single
    Round 6 – Mike Tyson                                    Single
    Round 6 – Justin Senior                                 Strike
    Round 7 – David Moore                                 Single
    Round 7 – Chris Carson                                 Triple

Of the 11 players drafted in 2017, 10 remain on the roster which is promising. All these players were rookies last season but this draft class has shown some real potential and although there’s 5 singles right now, every single one of those could ‘move up’ to higher grades. I feel pretty optimistic about this draft as a whole, especially finding your RB1 or RB2 in the 7th round.

Strikes – 2
    Singles – 5
    Doubles – 1
    Triples – 3
    Homeruns - 0

So how have they stacked up overall over the course of the last 5 drafts?

Strikes – 18
    Singles – 18
    Doubles – 3
    Triples – 7
    Homeruns – 2

Considering the likes of Amara Darboh, Tedric Thompson, Delano Hill, Ethan Pocic, Nick Vannett and maybe even Germain Ifedi could make big jumps in 2018, I don’t think it’s fair to say the Seahawks have been as appalling in the draft as many would have you believe. Sure, for the most part 2013 and 2014 were truly awful. But 2015 had upside as well as 2016 and 2017 looking, on the surface, promising at the very least, I certainly don’t buy what the “JS can’t draft” crew are selling, and neither should you.

It will be interesting to see what JS does with the 2018 draft picks available to him and things will certainly get more interesting if a team does in fact give up a first round pick for Earl Thomas. That will certainly soften the blow or Seattle currently having a total of zero day 2 picks (round 2 and round 3). With their abundance of round 5 picks I can absolutely see a hefty trade up back into the later round 3 area with some of those picks, too. It’s also a given that pick 18 won’t be selected by the Seattle Seahawks, however it is yet to be determined if the team will leave the first round all together as they did last year or if they stick in the first and grab a third rounder as compensation for picking at the end of the round as opposed to the middle of the round.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Re: Do Seattle Have a Drafting Problem?
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:42 am
  • I think Justin Britt being considered a home run speaks volumes.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:49 am
  • Seanhawk wrote:I think Justin Britt being considered a home run speaks volumes.

I get your point but the fact he’s been above average for the last two years is enough for me. With the price lineman are getting it’s a very fair contract, too.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:50 pm
  • You can't give players strikes if they succeed elsewhere on other teams like Ware and Collins as examples.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:59 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:You can't give players strikes if they succeed elsewhere on other teams like Ware and Collins as examples.

This is what I was thinking also.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:40 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:You can't give players strikes if they succeed elsewhere on other teams like Ware and Collins as examples.

Why not? They are drafting for the Seattle Seahawks, not other teams. By this logic, Steve Largent was a home run for the Houston Oilers.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:39 pm
  • They does.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:50 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:You can't give players strikes if they succeed elsewhere on other teams like Ware and Collins as examples.

Why not? They are drafting for the Seattle Seahawks, not other teams. By this logic, Steve Largent was a home run for the Houston Oilers.

Because the players could play in the NFL and our staff misused or could not scheme to use them, Cable mostly with his lack of blocking from his Line.

Oh and the Oilers were regretful later saying it was one of their biggest mistakes as well.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:49 am
  • chris98251 wrote:You can't give players strikes if they succeed elsewhere on other teams like Ware and Collins as examples.

Ultimately this is based on this team, how they perform for other teams is, in effect, pretty irrelevant (albeit frustrating at times)

Seafan wrote:They does.

Constructive, thanks for the contribution.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:55 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:

Because the players could play in the NFL and our staff misused or could not scheme to use them, Cable mostly with his lack of blocking from his Line.

Oh and the Oilers were regretful later saying it was one of their biggest mistakes as well.

But why were they regretful? They drafted a Hall of Famer.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:29 am
  • But if Seattle wound up not keeping those players, then how can we say they were a good draft pick? I guess you'd have to measure what we got in return for them leaving, if anything. But if they weren't any good for us, my guess would be next to nothing.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:05 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:But if Seattle wound up not keeping those players, then how can we say they were a good draft pick? I guess you'd have to measure what we got in return for them leaving, if anything. But if they weren't any good for us, my guess would be next to nothing.

Exactly.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:47 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:But if Seattle wound up not keeping those players, then how can we say they were a good draft pick? I guess you'd have to measure what we got in return for them leaving, if anything. But if they weren't any good for us, my guess would be next to nothing.

So because or staff could not put them in a position to use their talent they are busts when they go somewhere else and light it up, that's not on the player it's on the staff. The staff is a bust in this situation not that player.

Ron Parker is another player, we gave the Chiefs a D lineman that was playing exceptional, there are more.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:58 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:I think Justin Britt being considered a home run speaks volumes.

Ifedi being considered a double speaks louder volumes! :34853_doh:
    penihawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:19 am
  • I can think of one: they value volume too much, at least of late-round picks in years with reduced opportunity on the roster.
    purpleneer
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:27 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:But if Seattle wound up not keeping those players, then how can we say they were a good draft pick? I guess you'd have to measure what we got in return for them leaving, if anything. But if they weren't any good for us, my guess would be next to nothing.

So because or staff could not put them in a position to use their talent they are busts when they go somewhere else and light it up, that's not on the player it's on the staff. The staff is a bust in this situation not that player.

Ron Parker is another player, we gave the Chiefs a D lineman that was playing exceptional, there are more.

For the purpose of this article, why they were draft busts for Seattle is totally irrelevant.

If Earl Thomas was cut after year 1 and went on to have exactly the same career elsewhere, for the purpose of this discussion, he would be listed as a strike.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:17 am
  • Yes they do and if I were them I wouldn't trade out of a blue chip prospect and force a pick at RB .
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:02 pm
  • Yes, cause Scot McLoughan is no longer here.

Scot was the real reason Seattle found success.

You know I'm right!!
    "Awww, you so weak!" Richard Sherman to Joe Webb

"Uh, huh, you suck!" Richard Sherman to Pierre Garçon

"Don't f***** try me--I'm the best!" Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:37 am
  • Round 2 – Malik McDowell Strike

He isn't cut or gone yet so how is this a strike?
    like the baseball theme..Interesting
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:55 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:Round 2 – Malik McDowell Strike

He isn't cut or gone yet so how is this a strike?
    like the baseball theme..Interesting

Ungraded would maybe be fairer but ultimately he hasn't contributed whatsoever to the team and it's doubtful that he ever will.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:15 am

It makes sense in a grading system where Lockett is a triple and Ifedi is a double.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:40 pm
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:Yes, cause Scot McLoughan is no longer here.

Scot was the real reason Seattle found success.

You know I'm right!!

I look at the 9er's draft in 05-09 and the Skins 15 and 16 and I don't buy this theory. Furthermore, if JS and Pete hired the guy, they get the credit. That's how it works. The most likely reason for 10,11,12 is a combination of factors related to Pete and JS with Scot helping out.
    Tinymac2
    NET Rookie

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:22 am
  • Why does udfa never get a look in at these things?
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:00 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:Why does udfa never get a look in at these things?

This is specifically about draft investment so UDFA guys don't really count.

Although, for the record, there are a total of 6 UDFA's still on the roster at present since 2013.

Jordan Roos
    Tyrone Swoopes
    DeAndre Elliott
    George Fant
    Tre Madden
    Tanner McEvoy
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:06 am
  • original poster wrote:
    UK_Seahawk wrote:Why does udfa never get a look in at these things?

Although, for the record, there are a total of 6 UDFA's still on the roster at present since 2013.

Jordan Roos
    Tyrone Swoopes
    DeAndre Elliott
    George Fant
    Tre Madden
    Tanner McEvoy

Umm wasn't Baldwin a UDFA also

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:10 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    original poster wrote:
    UK_Seahawk wrote:Why does udfa never get a look in at these things?

Jordan Roos
    Tyrone Swoopes
    DeAndre Elliott
    George Fant
    Tre Madden
    Tanner McEvoy

Umm wasn't Baldwin a UDFA also

I made that same mistake, LOL. Then I noticed he wrote "since 2013."

Does Cyril Grayson not count as an undrafted free agent because he avoided the draft? Makes sense.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:18 am
  • Well Doug was signed in 2011 and is still here so that would still be since 2013 :)

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:56 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information