Saquon Barkley

sdog1981

Reaction score
CPHawk":4ofss3qb said:
sdog1981":4ofss3qb said:
CPHawk":4ofss3qb said:
sdog1981":4ofss3qb said:
Never trust a running back who played in a spread offense. That rule is only followed by never draft a Penn State running back.

Not a fan of Carlson or Zeke Elliot?

Seriously dude? scroll up and read the conversation and who is Carlson? If you are talking about Chris Carson he has less than 50 NFL carries, so we can pick up that argument in 2020 after he comes back healthy.

Really dude? You said never trust a RB from a spread. I could name 20+ solid RB in the nfl from spread O.

Barkley is going to be a stud, regardless of what kind of O he plays in.

At this point, we would have to attempt to define who did and did not play in a spread offense and close it resembles Penn States offense. That aside list 20 spread running backs that you would be willing to spend a first-round pick on.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
sdog1981":wwylh598 said:
WmHBonney":wwylh598 said:
sdog1981":wwylh598 said:
Never trust a running back who played in a spread offense. That rule is only followed by never draft a Penn State running back.

Not a Curt Warner fan? Or was that before your time?

It's not 1983. So the list of Penn State trash since Warner

DJ Dozier 1987
Blair Thomas 1990 2nd overall
Ki-Jana Carter 1995 1st overall
Curtis Enis 1998 5th overall

Big Ten running backs don't do very well in the NFL. For every Eddie George and Zek Eliot, there are about 10 more Ron Dayne's

When were we talking about Big 10 RBs? You said, "never draft a Penn State RB". You didn't stipulate since 1983...or whatever. I pointed out a PSU RB that the 'Hawks drafted that turned out OK. Never say never.
Barring injury, Saquon will be the first RB taken in next year's draft. He is better than any RB currently on the 'Hawks roster. Flame away.

sdog1981

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1ymphb6e said:
When were we talking about Big 10 RBs? You said, "never draft a Penn State RB". You didn't stipulate since 1983...or whatever. I pointed out a PSU RB that the 'Hawks drafted that turned out OK. Never say never.
Barring injury, Saquon will be the first RB taken in next year's draft. He is better than any RB currently on the 'Hawks roster. Flame away.

Those are two different topics.

The Penn State bust tradition goes back to the 70's too John Cappelletti was a bust at the 11th pick. I don't know what they do in State College PA, but for whatever reason, it leads to bad results in the NFL.

As for Barkley and the Seahawks backfield? We don't know, but I do know before Rawles got hurt he had a 200-yard rushing game twice and had a 160 rushing game in the playoffs. Barkley has been shut down by teams like Indiana, Pittsburgh, Michigan, Maryland, and Georgia. His career is very confusing take the Iowa game, for instance, he had 300 yards of total and they almost lost. Then Penn State beats down Indiana and he is held to under 60 yards rushing. Take Ezekiel Elliott, for instance, that guy shredded the top defensive units in college football. Barkley has not done that and that is the Ron Dayne warning flag.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Scenario:

Saquon Barkley available to Seahawks.

Seahawks end up picking Defensive End

Pete Carroll: "We've been looking for a player like this a long time..."

sdog1981

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1zfzl3ht said:
Scenario:

Saquon Barkley available to Seahawks.

Seahawks end up picking Defensive End

Pete Carroll: "We've been looking for a player like this a long time..."

After trading back 3 times :2thumbs:

sdog1981

Reaction score
Saquon Barkley put up a red flag after getting completely shut down by Ohio State. Is Barkley good or is Barkley good because of the easy running lanes spread offenses can create? He was also shut down by Indiana and Pittsburgh.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I was 100% on board with a Julio Jones like trade to land Fournette. Even more on board with that for Saquon. He's absolutely incredible.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
sdog1981":1uady195 said:
Saquon Barkley put up a red flag after getting completely shut down by Ohio State. Is Barkley good or is Barkley good because of the easy running lanes spread offenses can create? He was also shut down by Indiana and Pittsburgh.

One game does not bring a red flag.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":23xo14xl said:
sdog1981":23xo14xl said:

I mentioned three games this season. He has had others in 2016 and 2015, the guy gets shut down when he plays top talent. Ezekiel Elliott performed at a high level against all levels of competition.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Shut down for a fourth game. RED FLAGS ARE FLYING

IndyHawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":1gl6a072 said:
He can flush his Heisman down the toilet..The thing doesn't mean much anymore anyway.
Johnnie Footbull took care of that :lol:

sdog1981

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2ahsime2 said:
sdog1981":2ahsime2 said:
He can flush his Heisman down the toilet..The thing doesn't mean much anymore anyway.
Johnnie Footbull took care of that :lol:

Oh my. He was not even invited to the final Heisman announcement. The Fiesta Bowl will be his last chance to prove he is not LaMichael James 2.0

gowazzu02

Reaction score
sdog1981":2w40x5p6 said:
Hasselbeck":2w40x5p6 said:
sdog1981":2w40x5p6 said:

I mentioned three games this season. He has had others in 2016 and 2015, the guy gets shut down when he plays top talent. Ezekiel Elliott performed at a high level against all levels of competition.

Meh poor comparison. Zeke played on ohio state surrounded by nfl guys. Not a fair comparison. Penn St isn't some mothers of the poor school but ohio st they are not.

Kids special. And how does Curtis Enis getting injured have anything to do with him? I kid of course. I love over arching draft rules as much as the rest of you.

Never draft a Notre Dame QB
Same with Florida or any QB Urban Meyer coached qb for that matter

sdog1981

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1z32lt3f said:
Meh poor comparison. Zeke played on ohio state surrounded by nfl guys. Not a fair comparison. Penn St isn't some mothers of the poor school but ohio st they are not.

How is it not fair? They played against the same teams. Zeke put up numbers no matter who he was playing. Barkley disappeared when he played elite talent. That is a major red flag. I will bet you your .net signature that he will not be good in the NFL.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
sdog1981":j5lzxre9 said:
gowazzu02":j5lzxre9 said:

How is it not fair? They played against the same teams. Zeke put up numbers no matter who he was playing. Barkley disappeared when he played elite talent. That is a major red flag. I will bet you your .net signature that he will not be good in the NFL.

They played against the same teams yes, but they didn't have the same supporting cast.

Im saying Ohio States offensive line of all 5 star top 100 recruits opened bigger holes against top tier competition then Penn States oline of 3 star and 4 star guys.....

Ive never done a .net signature bet don't think i'll start now. But what I will tell you is im in a fantasy football keeper league and my team was absolutely ravished by injuries this year, I finished DFL. I will be picking Barkley with the number 1 overall pick next year. (frankly is much more important to me then my .net sig :))

IndyHawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1i41dn2l said:
sdog1981":1i41dn2l said:
gowazzu02":1i41dn2l said:

They played against the same teams yes, but they didn't have the same supporting cast.

Im saying Ohio States offensive line of all 5 star top 100 recruits opened bigger holes against top tier competition then Penn States oline of 3 star and 4 star guys.....

Ive never done a .net signature bet don't think i'll start now. But what I will tell you is im in a fantasy football keeper league and my team was absolutely ravished by injuries this year, I finished DFL. I will be picking Barkley with the number 1 overall pick next year. (frankly is much more important to me then my .net sig :))
Interesting take by you..
So you are saying Zeke without a mobile QB and a All-Pro line would not be very good?
Say he was @Penn St instead or on the Hawks would he be a bust?

mrblitz

Reaction score
spread or no spread in college, with barkely's measurables it looks like you'd just hand him the ball, and saquon just goes... and then he goes even bigger if your o-line actually gets any blocking done.

Rbenner99

Reaction score
I watch all Penn State games and am a big Penn State fan so I may be a bit biased. Watching Penn State’s offense is watching an entire defense follow Barkley. Penn State QB is average but puts up huge numbers because entire defense follows Barkley. He may be a bust in the nfl but his best year may be ahead of him. He gets hit in the backfield often in the read pass option and often has to make men miss before he can get to the line of scrimmage. Best of all he seems like a class act something this team desperately needs.