Ga State @ UW

kearly

Reaction score
Petersen and his staff were so thoroughly outcoached in the first half. Georgia State was blitzing everything, including the run, and yet not one traditional screen pass or hot route was called to counter. Miles was not allowed to play his game in the first half either, and the defense couldn't cover receivers for two seconds.

You could see some desperation from UW coming out after halftime. A bad loss at home to a horrific GSU team would set the program back more than any loss in years. Petersen got so desperate that he went to his bag of tricks a game early, using a lot of nifty ideas that he was probably hoping to save for the Stanford game next week. The Lindquist wildcat stuff, etc.

It worked and UW won the second half 45-0. For as bad as UW's coaching performed in the first half, they were great in the second half. The finally figured out how to cover receivers and the pass rush did the rest.

Let's face facts UW fans, Miles might be our best QB, and he's basically Terrelle Pryor minus the tools. Horrible mechanics, poor decision making, lousy arm... but what he does have is decent mobility. UW got their offense going in the second half when they remembered that QBs can run too. If UW is going to have any success in the Pac-12 this year, they have to give Miles a Terrelle Pryor game plan where he runs the ball 10-15 times a game.

It's a shame that Lindquist is such a horrific QB. He is a top shelf athlete. I would love to see him on the field in creative usages a lot more.

Coleman is such a plodder, why they keep feeding him so many carries with all the athletes on this team is a total mystery to me.

kearly

Reaction score
SeatownJay":9bspe1y4 said:
They were talking on the broadcast that there are four players on Washington's defense who could go in the first two rounds of the draft next year.

Peters
Kikaha
Thompson
Shelton

They all look like NFL players to me. Any of those four would look pretty good on the Hawks.

HawkWow

Reaction score
My gawd what has happened to our QB factory? I'd like to blame it all on Sark, the walking herpes strain (and you may recall I've been calling Miles a poor mans Pryor since the off season) but Price excluded, we've actually not had a great passer since Pickett.

But hey...4-0 and we're still in the hunt for another national championship.
Do I need to add a sarcasm thing here?

I hope Miles attacks a Hawk fan after tomorrow's game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kearly":1tfrnvyr said:
Petersen and his staff were so thoroughly outcoached in the first half. Georgia State was blitzing everything, including the run, and yet not one traditional screen pass or hot route was called to counter. Miles was not allowed to play his game in the first half either, and the defense couldn't cover receivers for two seconds.

You could see some desperation from UW coming out after halftime. A bad loss at home to a horrific GSU team would set the program back more than any loss in years. Petersen got so desperate that he went to his bag of tricks a game early, using a lot of nifty ideas that he was probably hoping to save for the Stanford game next week. The Lindquist wildcat stuff, etc.

It worked and UW won the second half 45-0. For as bad as UW's coaching performed in the first half, they were great in the second half. The finally figured out how to cover receivers and the pass rush did the rest.

Let's face facts UW fans, Miles might be our best QB, and he's basically Terrelle Pryor minus the tools. Horrible mechanics, poor decision making, lousy arm... but what he does have is decent mobility. UW got their offense going in the second half when they remembered that QBs can run too. If UW is going to have any success in the Pac-12 this year, they have to give Miles a Terrelle Pryor game plan where he runs the ball 10-15 times a game.

It's a shame that Lindquist is such a horrific QB. He is a top shelf athlete. I would love to see him on the field in creative usages a lot more.

Coleman is such a plodder, why they keep feeding him so many carries with all the athletes on this team is a total mystery to me.
Yep I knew Miles' mechanics are bad but they really stood out today.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Cal is suddenly looking like a tough game. It's going to be a dog fight. Thanks, Sarkisian.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3uau2u06 said:
Cal is suddenly looking like a tough game. It's going to be a dog fight. Thanks, Sarkisian.

Cal looks good? Blame Sark!

kearly

Reaction score
HawkWow":n4ylv40v said:
My gawd what has happened to our QB factory? I'd like to blame it all on Sark, the walking herpes strain (and you may recall I've been calling Miles a poor mans Pryor since the off season) but Price excluded, we've actually not had a great passer since Pickett.

Well, personally I would take Locker over Pickett any day. Pickett was the king of empty yardage and benefited from some very good defenses. He also had Reggie Williams to throw to.

justafan

Reaction score
Miles a poor mans Pryor? You are pretty much a starving man at that point.
I would take Price over Locker or Picket at the college level.

drrew

Reaction score
Danny Shelton with another 13 tackles. As a 335lb nose tackle.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Didn't see the game but they didn't allow anything in 2nd half and won big ..I understand it's a small school they beat but those aren't always easy wins..Ask Michigan/AP State a few years ago..A win is a win..This isn't coach Petes team yet ..You still have a lot of Sarks guys and it takes awhile to change everything to how you want as a coach..It's not going to be pretty but I sure don't ever see it getting bad like Tyrone made it..Give the new coach 3 years to change it and you will see a lot better football.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1l1qwt2r said:
Not good . . . we just look that bad.

Because of poor coaching by Petersen's staff and a subpar QB. UW has the most NFL talent defensively in the conference. But unfortunately the coaching staff dropoff from Sark to Petersen has been enormous, particularly the offensive and defensive coordinators.

Really the worst thing you can say about Sark is that he didn't find Keith Price 2.0 before he left, but getting good QBs is not easy and only a minority of college teams have one.

kearly

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2hc845hl said:
Didn't see the game but they didn't allow anything in 2nd half and won big ..I understand it's a small school they beat but those aren't always easy wins..Ask Michigan/AP State a few years ago..A win is a win..This isn't coach Petes team yet ..You still have a lot of Sarks guys and it takes awhile to change everything to how you want as a coach..It's not going to be pretty but I sure don't ever see it getting bad like Tyrone made it..Give the new coach 3 years to change it and you will see a lot better football.

Completely agree, every coach needs time to get his guys. Petersen's staff has coached very poorly so far, but that's partly because it's not really his team yet.

I think Petersen's DC stinks and his OC is still kind of figuring things out, but Petersen himself was a good coach at BSU and I see no reason to doubt him just yet. That said, he's had a much worse start than I thought he would, this team really does feel Willingham-esque despite being 4-0. In fairness, a lot of that is on the QBs. Miles and Lindquist feel like Stanbeck and Paus all over again.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
kearly":3mm42h0f said:
HawkWow":3mm42h0f said:

Well, personally I would take Locker over Pickett any day. Pickett was the king of empty yardage and benefited from some very good defenses. He also had Reggie Williams to throw to.

Pickett had great defenses? Was the Nick Holt era so bad that we are committing that level of revisionist history? Might want to look that up.

drrew

Reaction score
seahawk2k":3tye70kt said:
kearly":3tye70kt said:
...Pickett was the king of empty yardage and benefited from some very good defenses...
Pickett had great defenses?
Don't make stuff up to try and prove a point, 'very good' ≠ 'great'

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Ha, ok, splitting hairs are we?

Look at the numbers and the results and if you actually watched those UW teams, use your memory. The defense wasn't very good, it wasn't great, it wasn't good. It was average trending to below average.

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":doxx4xde said:
SeatownJay":doxx4xde said:
They were talking on the broadcast that there are four players on Washington's defense who could go in the first two rounds of the draft next year.

Peters
Kikaha
Thompson
Shelton

They all look like NFL players to me. Any of those four would look pretty good on the Hawks.

Absolutely. All look like ideal scheme fits for our defense. I covet Shelton, but will be happy with any of those four.

kearly

Reaction score
seahawk2k":32c17yn8 said:
Pickett had great defenses? Was the Nick Holt era so bad that we are committing that level of revisionist history? Might want to look that up.

UW did have a good defense in 2003, they kept opponents under 20 points in a majority of their games and played good run D, but when they lost, they often lost BIG which really skewed their season stats. UW played a very tough sched that year and couldn't control the clock because their run game completely sucked, which didn't help the defense.

But yeah, their defense was mediocre at best in Pickett's first two years (2001, 2002). I guess it's that solid 2003 defense that really stuck out in my memory. The Huskies collapsed the next year (1-10) while under Gilbertson's watch.

But anyway, Pickett was very one dimensional and wasn't able to put up points to match his yardage. He didn't really inspire as a leader and he couldn't control the game. The empty feeling of the Pickett era is a lot like what WSU has been going through with Mike Leach. An even better comparison might be the Marc Bulger years in St. Louis.

Jake Locker was flawed, but he had some magic to him that Pickett completely lacked. Locker played on one of the worst teams in the country, but could get UW to hang with much better teams, sometimes even beat them. Pickett seemingly always got beaten soundly when starting the game as an underdog.