Warning to users: Please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockHawk

Reaction score
Community,
We will no longer allow the usage of the word "TARvaris" in this forum. The highlighting of the word Tar is insensitive at best and bigoted or racist at worst, so please stop printing his name in this fashion.

It makes no difference if your claiming to print it that way to highlight how his name should be verbalized because people tend to say it incorrectly (missing the pronouncing of the "R" syllable), because all your doing is being a passive/aggressive a-hole. In either case, please stop using the term no matter what your point is.

Thanks

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Never saw it as a race thing at all, just folks trying to get others to see the correct spelling/pronunciation. However, better safe than sorry I suppose.

bellingerga

Reaction score
Never even considered people were highlighting it for racist reasons. Didn't really think there was any point to doing it anyway though.

OP
OP
RockHawk

RockHawk

Reaction score
bellingerga":1cu5gs5c said:
Never even considered people were highlighting it for racist reasons. Didn't really think there was any point to doing it anyway though.

I actually agree that most wouldn't be doing it for those reasons, but because some might, we're nipping it.

Sac

Reaction score
Can we say TaRvaris? That way you can capitalize a proper noun and accentuate the correct pronunciation of his name without being racist!

SharkHawk

Reaction score
How about just write his name the way it is intended to be? I'm sure people can out in the accentuation themselves. At least common sense would say so.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Gotta love this politically correct society we live in. I had to read your list of reasons to wonder why the hell this was being requested.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I do love the "Politically Correct Society" we live in. Not so long ago my in-laws weren't allowed to use the same drinking fountains, stay in the same motels, attend the same schools, and so on and so forth as my family was. So yeah.... bring on the political correctness. That type of thinking has given me the opportunity to have a family and children that are allowed to attend school with their neighbors, we can travel freely from state-to-state (used to be illegal in many states for people of different races to cohabitate), we are treated kindly by others, and so on. But I see some stuff still taking place that irks me, and I'm not a big barker about this stuff, but to me there are certain things that are just out of line. This was one that was either out of line with the "What... ME?!" reaction by those who were doing it. Just another example of people pushing the boundaries and then acting like anybody who has an issue is the one with the problem.

The 'jokes' stopped being funny long ago, and to many of us they never were. I'm grateful somebody stepped up and said enough. I hope none of you that are angry about our "politically correct society" are ever put in harms way due to the color of your skin, your sexual orientation, or your religion. I know many who have been and I've been there myself to a lesser extent than family members who were being firehosed and tear-gassed. So yeah.... I appreciate people being sensitive to certain things and recognizing the long and ingrained history they have in America and the need to say, "We don't even need to START down that road here guys."

SharkHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":jqsyuu8r said:
Oh Lord, you're tempting fate with that post, Shark; lol.

I don't give a crap. I said what I felt. Everybody has felt free to make every snarky joke and little sneaky innuendo about everything they can for months on this board and I personally am fine with you throwing it back in my face 100 times over. If that makes you feel better then so be it. I'm not going to feel bad for saying one thing for the literally HUNDREDS of things I've read that made that little twinkle in my brain say "Hmm.... that seems a bit much" or , "Is he saying what I think he's saying? Because that seems like something I would have heard from my racist jerk Grandpa 30 years ago...." But I didn't get into it with anybody at any point. I let it go. But I'm saying I appreciate the proactive attitude, the erring on the side of people's feelings, and yeah.... I stand by it. So have at me Roland. I'm sure your intelligence and wit will blow away this guy who has basically been given a death sentence. So be it. I'll die or disappear with a clear conscience. I can deal with that.

Sturm

Reaction score
RockHawk":zvet2hiw said:
Community,
We will no longer allow the usage of the word "TARvaris" in this forum. The highlighting of the word Tar is insensitive at best and bigoted or racist at worst, so please stop printing his name in this fashion.

I don't get it. How is that spelling racist?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SharkHawk":3dohdzs5 said:
I'm not going to feel bad for saying one thing for the literally HUNDREDS of things I've read that made that little twinkle in my brain say "Hmm.... that seems a bit much" or , "Is he saying what I think he's saying? Because that seems like something I would have heard from my racist jerk Grandpa 30 years ago...."

See, people purposely looking for racist crap in every word said by others is the real problem here, nowadays.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
SharkHawk":2wdmyn12 said:
Everybody has felt free to make every snarky joke and little sneaky innuendo about everything they can for months on this board and I personally am fine with you throwing it back in my face 100 times over.
I'm pretty sure I have no idea what you are referring to.

On topic, I am happy about the new rule, but more for aesthetic reasons than anything else. Anyone who might have been trying to make a not-so-subliminal point with extra caps in Tarvaris' name, I probably just brushed into the greater category of immature posters without putting much thought into the peculiarities of this particular example.

Status
Not open for further replies.